Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New Exhaust Preview

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Exhaust Preview

Over the past few weeks a good friend of mine decided to test and install a new exhaust on my Evo 9. His past experience will cars go back to making exhausts for Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lotus or any other car that hauls ***. He also knows the 4G63 motors very well. His I idea for this is exhaust is to gain performance, but keep the stock look and stay away from unwanted notice... the cops. As of right now, I don't know of anyone with setup, but I want to get some feedback of what the evo community think about this exhaust.

From the photos you can see that we are still running the catalytic converter, but we also have another 3" pipe beside it. Simply put, when you boost over 2 psi, an flange will shut off the exhaust supply to the cat and now you are running a 3" exhaust straight back to the rear muffler. We kept the stock muffler on, well keep it looking stock. I will reply back with my experience with it and after I get some feedback.
Thanks for your time ,
mxracer88

Last edited by mxracer88; Sep 26, 2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Keep us updated.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:57 PM

My personal opinion on designs like this is that the more complex a design, the more points for failure. Was there any real need to deviate from a simple, reliable piece of pipe? Especially seeing as you're cutting off flow to the cat, may as well just use a straight test pipe as emissions and legality are obviously not of concern to you.

That said, it's good to think outside the box.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

It is good to think outside the box, but arent you adding unnecessary weight?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Nice idea, but don't like adding more weight, if you are concerned about stock looks, I would buy a testpipe and attach the heatshields of the cat around it for stock looks.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmmm looks interesting, are you going to be doing any dyno runs with it? kinda wondering how it stacks up against a conventional test pipe.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just paid my ticket to sac court for modified smog something like this might have let me go by unnoticed! I don"t see one little piece of pipe being a concern for weight gain though.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
weld oem cat heatshields to test pipe...less complex, less costly, and just as effective
Old Sep 26, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

I like seeing some innovation, but I don't think I quite get how this keeps the stock look.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Skipmaster J
My personal opinion on designs like this is that the more complex a design, the more points for failure. Was there any real need to deviate from a simple, reliable piece of pipe? Especially seeing as you're cutting off flow to the cat, may as well just use a straight test pipe as emissions and legality are obviously not of concern to you.

That said, it's good to think outside the box.
Actually this exhaust should pass emission without a problem since when you are getting test the exhaust will be going through the catalytic converter, but you do have a point of the legal side, but with going with the stock muffler and sound it should prevent unwanted notice. Reliability, we just have to wait and see.

It is good to think outside the box, but arent you adding unnecessary weight?
Yes it will be adding wait, I don't have hard numbers right now but it should not be over 3 lbs. For most people that love to go on mountain drives and stays away from the track this should not hurt the cars performance.

From my experience so far, the exhaust has helped out on the boost. With the stock on and launch the boost would spike to 16 lbs and then level off a few psi. With the new exhaust it would spool to 16 lbs and stay. When you shifted it was back to 16 lbs instantly. I hope to get a dyno run in on the car, but since the exhaust builder is a one man work force, its a bit difficult to spend money when it might now helps produce demand, but hopefully in time I can get on one.

Thanks for all your comments, keep posting!
mxracer88
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Well here is the deal. Although your still gaining power with that setup its still not the full potential as a complete 3" because of the stock muffler.

For example if you made a stock muffler that was 3" internally (still with baffles) that would be even better.

Also why not just make it dump to atmosphere? True it will be louder during WOT but when you go for emissions testing just unhook the vacuum/boost line to the actuator and then re-install after the test.

In our state they only do an obd2 check. So if you where here you wouldnt need all the complications. You could just run a 3" test pipe with a non fouler.

Overall I do like it though, especially assuming that its all stainless steel.

Quick question, where did you get the pressure activated actuator part of section?
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:31 PM

It is hand made by my friend Doug Marino, who built the exhaust.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:34 PM

nice work
Old Sep 27, 2009, 01:43 PM

Thats an interesting concept for a stock appearing higher flow system.
But there still is quite abit of restriction there ranging from bends to the muffler type.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mxracer88
It is hand made by my friend Doug Marino, who built the exhaust.
I understand that everything put together is hand made. He didnt make an actuator, he bought it and peiced it together.

I just want to know where he got that actuator with the butterfly system that opens and closes ?

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Preview