Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

coolant temp not stable, please help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2003, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant temp not stable, please help

hi, i just install samco hosts(rad and intercooler), hks ground wire, arc thermostat and hks coolant today i have some problem with my car, it starts fine, but after like 10 block of driving, my coolant temp SKY ROCKET, i open my hood, feel the upper radiator hosts, and is COLD, so i open the radiator cap, BIG MISTAKE!! all the coolant shoot out to the engine, so i close the cap back, wait a while and start the engine again, now i feel the upper hose again, now is hot, so i though everything was fine and went to work, and tonight when i am driving home, same **** happen again, so i open my hood and notice all my coolant r gone??!! I don't know what wrong with my baby =(, please help...

btw, my coolant temp is not stable, if i drive on the highway, the coolant temp drop to 1/5 from the baseline, and my engine rev to 1500 at idol, i am gussing is because my temp is so low, the ecu rev the engine a bit higher, but i don't know what to do, do u guys think is the arc thermostat? or something else, any input?? many thanks in advance, as for now, i am dumb founded haha...
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check you coolant temp sensor wire mine frayed and caused my cars temp to read really high when in fact the car wasn't hot at all. You can find the sensor located on the front of the thermostat housing, it will the single wire that faces the front bumper. Follow that wire back to the harness you migh have cut or scrapped that wire on accident causing it to ground out and sending you a false reading.

Last edited by BadazzCR; Oct 18, 2003 at 12:31 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most likely there is air in the cooling system. The air gets trapped at the thermostat and it doesn't open because it's not hot like the coolant. You just need to get the air out.