Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Clip Pop Problem... does it affect the triple disk?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Exedy Clip Pop Problem... does it affect the triple disk?

Hey,

I'm in the market for a new clutch, and I'm hoping for a "one and done" upgrade.

I know the Exedy Twin pull-style suffers from the dreaded retainer clip popping out issue. Do the pull-style triple disks also suffer this same problem?

I realize the AMS push conversion is an option, but for $1200 I'm curious if I can just get a triple and be done with it.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would theorize that it would potentially be more likely to pop the clip. As far as i know the clip pop is due to over extending the clutch fork. Since the triple disk is a larger clutch you wouild need less throw. Over extending the clutch would be more likely in this scenario. Again this is just assumption. since the triple disk has such a limited population i don't assume you would find as much info.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recompile
Hey,

I'm in the market for a new clutch, and I'm hoping for a "one and done" upgrade.

I know the Exedy Twin pull-style suffers from the dreaded retainer clip popping out issue. Do the pull-style triple disks also suffer this same problem?

I realize the AMS push conversion is an option, but for $1200 I'm curious if I can just get a triple and be done with it.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, the clip will pop off of the Exedy triple. If you don't want the clip to pop off you can convert it to push style with the AMS conversion kit. You can also try the turbotrix mod or you can purchase a push triple clutch like the one from OS Giken. If you go OS Giken route then you should contact Sean Ivey at http://www.iveytune.com/ as he is a authorize OS Giken dealer.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by recompile
Hey,

Thanks in advance.
I would buy the Exedy Twin HD clutch and use the TurboTrix clutch fork stop. I just received mine in the mail a few days ago.

The clutch fork stop stops the clutch fork from over extending, therefore it stops the clip from popping off.

-Bink
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:29 PM
Account Disabled

I can pop the clip off of an exedy twin or triple in two shifts - however most of my customers have no problems what so ever with them and they stay on no problem - they are great cluthes

The AMS push conversion does remove the potential to pop the clip however
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
i would theorize that it would potentially be more likely to pop the clip. As far as i know the clip pop is due to over extending the clutch fork. Since the triple disk is a larger clutch you wouild need less throw. Over extending the clutch would be more likely in this scenario. Again this is just assumption. since the triple disk has such a limited population i don't assume you would find as much info.
The twin and triple are the same exterior size.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
The twin and triple are the same exterior size.
^^what this guy said.

Yes, you can pop the clip on a triple just like on a twin.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by binky
I would buy the Exedy Twin HD clutch and use the TurboTrix clutch fork stop. I just received mine in the mail a few days ago.

The clutch fork stop stops the clutch fork from over extending, therefore it stops the clip from popping off.

-Bink
so getting the Turbo trix fork stop should secure the clip from coming off ???? I just installed my tripple disc pull-style and shook reading this thread !!!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N33d4sp33d
so getting the Turbo trix fork stop should secure the clip from coming off ???? I just installed my tripple disc pull-style and shook reading this thread !!!
I never had a clip pop off in years of running exedy clutches. It does happen to some but there are a lot of Exedy users out there. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I did use the ams pull conversion for a while but had some issues with it so went back to pull. However, AMS was convinced it was because my car is an earlier Evo even though I run a 4G64 and Evo VIII gearbox. I haven't heard of any other problems with the AMS push conversion so I guess it is safe to say my issue with it was a one-off.
Old May 1, 2012, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Bumping an old thread. Have an stm fork stop and the clip on my triple still popped. About 2k miles, never launched.

What are my options?

RPS square clip? -$?
AMS push conversion? -$1,200!

??
Old May 1, 2012, 07:43 PM

I'm about to install one also now i had a carbonetic twin plate prior so my cars been converted to push style and we were going to convert it back so i can use the exedy triple which is pull, any chance anyone know if i can get my existing push style conversion to work on the exedy?
Old May 2, 2012, 06:17 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Carloverx
Bumping an old thread. Have an stm fork stop and the clip on my triple still popped. About 2k miles, never launched.
Then it is likely it was not installed correctly...
Old May 2, 2012, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine pop-off after awhile. Frustrating. Went with QM hyd TOB.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Freddie@Spec-Ops
Then it is likely it was not installed correctly...
Others have posted instances of clips popping off with clutch forks installed (e.g) Any insights on what I'm doing wrong?

Originally Posted by Pirana
Mine pop-off after awhile. Frustrating. Went with QM hyd TOB.
Got a link to this?

Thanks.
Old May 3, 2012, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess this is all I posted.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9321237-post90.html

Quick Reply: Exedy Clip Pop Problem... does it affect the triple disk?