Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

the chump is stumped

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the chump is stumped

To my fellow evoM surfers, Im looking for some advice again, as the EVO has just proven again that if you think you know the problem, youre wrong.

car is a 2005 evo VIII that JUST had its 60,000 mile service done.

MODS:

FP Red 80mm
FP WG Actuator
shearer fab o2 dump
BR Intake
BR J-pipe
AMS LICP
AMS street FMIC
BR UICP
1000cc injectors
BR 272 i/e cams
dual valve springs
greddy type-s BOV

others too but i think ive covered the important things. please mind that this isnt MY car, im just trying to figure out the problem. the owner isnt on EVOm so if you have a comment flaming his set up i dont really care.

Car was brought to the dyno yesterday. Put on the dyno and only saw 12 psi. I konw this is the WG preload pressure. so we take the car off the dyno, the j pipe didnt fit well, not to mention had to be modified to fit. AFTER fixing the j-pipe issue, throw the car back on the dyno, still only 12 psi. As a test, took the boost controller off of the WG just to see if the turbo would overboost. 12 psi still. so we take it to the shop and do a boost leak test. solid as a rock. do a engine leak down test, most cylinders saw no more than 4-6 psi loss which is average for a car with more miles on it. running out of ideas, we come with the conclusion that maybe valve overlap is causing the issue. pull the cams out, put the stockers back in, and the issue still remains. The wastegate moves if you tug on it with pliers and snaps back into place. THIS is where i am stuck at now. The car as a partial tune in it (base map from AMS) to get it to the dyno. I talked to chris from ams and he hadnt touched any parameters in regards to the turbo or boost. the ONLY thing that I am skeptical of, is that the people doing the work (not myself) had drilled a hole and tapped a nipple on the turbo for "true vacuum source". im running out of ideas, and i would hate to see a good guys car not get tuned while AMS is out here. ANY help or advice would help. Spark plugs are gapped to .22 on one step colder plugs.

THANKS FOR THE GUYS

Last edited by SLO-EVO; Oct 3, 2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added mods
Old Oct 3, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check for shaft play. How old is the red? My red only lasted for a week, then it wouldnt hold boost anymore.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

shaft play isnt there... the turbine spins freely... the red is BRAND NEW just installed before the tune weekend...
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The wastegate is likely open. Take off the o2 housing and inspect.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

any other speculations? Thats my first thing to check this morning, but i need a back up plan if that dont work LoL