Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kasey at MAP's 2.4 Hybrid Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DOUGLAS
what do you guys recommend as far as the balace shafts go and fluidampr harmonic crank pulley?.......
We eliminate the balance shafts (the basic kit works for most, otherwise the AMS race balance shaft is a great option for engines that will see a lot of abuse) and you can't go wrong with a fluidampr to help combat the extra vibrations and prolong the life of your bearings!

Originally Posted by lan_evo_mr9
If the block is 6mm taller, do there need to be any adjustments as far as setting the timing (belt)?
Most people use the OEM timing belt from the DOHC 4g64 as it is longer than the 4g63 belt (1 tooth additional I believe?) but the 4g63 belt has worked for us in the past, it was pretty tight in regards to tension even at the edge of adjustment of the tensioner pulley...

Last edited by ChrisCarey; Feb 3, 2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SparkTech
Looking good Kasey. Hurry up already

Just kidding these builds do take some time, looking forward to some results
Thanks Craig, The Non-CDI is ready to make some power
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
We eliminate the balance shafts (the basic kit works for most, otherwise the AMS race balance shaft is a great option for engines that will see a lot of abuse) and you can't go wrong with a fluidampr to help combat the extra vibrations and prolong the life of your bearings!

Most people use the OEM timing belt from the DOHC 4g64 as it is longer than the 4g63 belt (1 tooth additional I believe?) but the 4g63 belt has worked for us in the past, it was pretty tight in regards to tension even at the edge of adjustment of the tensioner pulley...

thank you sir...I was debating whether or not to elimate the balance shafts.....im hoping for 600awhp give or take this summer with my 2.0....I just ordered rods pistons from you guys along with a brand new oem crank.....im just trying to get all the little details like this worked out before I send it all to the shop....anything else you guys might suggest would be awesome....this is my first motor build....sorry didnt mean to jack your thread bud
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

thank you sir...I was debating whether or not to elimate the balance shafts.....im hoping for 600awhp give or take this summer with my 2.0....I just ordered rods pistons from you guys along with a brand new oem crank.....im just trying to get all the little details like this worked out before I send it all to the shop....anything else you guys might suggest would be awesome....this is my first motor build....sorry didnt mean to jack your thread bud
Keep in touch and let us know if you have any problems and we will try to help you out. I am definitely learning a lot on my first 2.4 build
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by maperformance
Keep in touch and let us know if you have any problems and we will try to help you out. I am definitely learning a lot on my first 2.4 build
for sure buddy.....you guys have been a godsend.....grade A shop in my book....there are not too many left around.....great customer service and friendly to boot....

do you have the longblock assembled yet?.....what are your plans as far as drivetrain?.....
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor

for sure buddy.....you guys have been a godsend.....grade A shop in my book....there are not too many left around.....great customer service and friendly to boot....

do you have the longblock assembled yet?.....what are your plans as far as drivetrain?.....
Thanks for the kind words. I should have the short block assembled tonight and the head will be finished up by tomorrow to set on there I am gettin really excited now.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

great looking build!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks buddy!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Super build Kasey. Keep the pics coming
Old Feb 4, 2010, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

More today coming
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

cant wait to see some numbers, i'm debating on a built 2.0 or 2.4 not sure yet
Old Feb 4, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The 2.4L builds are certainly gaining attention in the daily driver world of EVO owners. I, for one, am getting one built as we speak and I'm just as excited to see what she's able to do on E85, 30PSI, and the stock IX turbo.

Originally Posted by scheides
Ultimately the 2.4 will be a good move, the extra torque down low for average DD is really attractive.
I totally agree.

We have run the FDSM over 9000 rpms a lot this past race season. I don't plan to rev it that high all the time, only when needed at the dragstrip in 4th gear trying to finish the 1/4.
This is great to hear as there is always the discussion of RPM sacrifice among the "nay sayers" of the additional displacement. I assume that the spring and retainer combination along with engine balancing are the keys for this able to be done, right?

I agree Hopefully with the red and 35 psi I can make close to 600hp and 600ftlbs. I think that would be a fun set-up also.
I agree. I'm simply looking for 475whp/475wtq with the stock IX turbo (E85, 30PSI) with my build.

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Yes as the 4g64 block is 6mm taller than the 4g63 so you can avoid the wristpin and sideskirt modifications to the pistons that are necessary when using the 100mm crankshaft into the 2.0l block
Awesome to know and learn. Great.

[quote=ChrisCarey;7953300]We eliminate the balance shafts (the basic kit works for most, otherwise the AMS race balance shaft is a great option for engines that will see a lot of abuse) and you can't go wrong with a fluidampr to help combat the extra vibrations and prolong the life of your bearings!/quote]

Would you say that this would apply to daily-driven EVOs as well?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scheides
Mmmmm, B-shaped ports, yumtastical. Will this be MAP's full stage 5 head? Pics of CC work plz
Chris, you are right. Bob is putting a little extra effort into my head and my pocket to make it a stage 5 head. I will have some more pics up soon as we have been trying to get our 800hp monster done with tuning.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 02:09 PM

Interesting thread,as i am thinking of doing a 4g64 stroker on my Evo 6. Can you tell if the oil squirters are standard in the 4g64 block(if not how do you go about fitting them).From what I can understand you have to use the 4g63 sump.Is there anything else that has to be swapped over to the block or any other required mods.Your advise will be great in helping me decide the 4g64 option.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jason r
Interesting thread,as i am thinking of doing a 4g64 stroker on my Evo 6. Can you tell if the oil squirters are standard in the 4g64 block(if not how do you go about fitting them).From what I can understand you have to use the 4g63 sump.Is there anything else that has to be swapped over to the block or any other required mods.Your advise will be great in helping me decide the 4g64 option.
The 4g64 block does not come with oil squirters from Mitsu. I did have mine machine in so I can have a little extra insurance. There is a coupler of other different things, like the water pumps are different so you need a adapter plate and you will have to have a bigger bore head gasket for the 4g64 block. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kasey

Quick Reply: Kasey at MAP's 2.4 Hybrid Build