Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Red looses punch after 120 mph.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Red looses punch after 120 mph.

I have been racing for a while and my evo IX has evolved from a stock one to the actual configuration going from all the boltons plus a Green turbo and now a RED and a 2.3 L motor. The car is phenomenal on the street and track but I have only one complain. On our track has a very long straight and there is where I think my EVO looses ground agains the powerfull Porsches. For some reason the car pulls very hard up to the 120 mph mark but then is just starts to struggle . I know that the evo might not be the most aerodinamic car of all, but I have seen videos where the speedometer needle just never stops moving fast all the way to top speed. Do you think that the RED turbo is limitted and that I need an upgrade like a GT 35 or something similar? If anyone out there is road racing their evo and has experienced this, I would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks!!
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

5 or 6 speed?

Are you shifting to 5th when this happens?

The end of 4th is where your top end runs out, so drag it out longer or maybe think about a 4.11 Final Drive
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, the Red starts to run out of breath, but more to blame is the Evos poor top-speed gearing.

Unless your turbo still makes power @ 9000RPM, and your engine & valvetrain can support revving that high, the culprit is the transmission.

Most race cars are shifting from 3rd to 4th @ 120mph, whereas we're going from 4th into overdrive.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

I changed the transmission from the standard 6 speed to a 5 speed shep transmission. Maybe the gearing is not right
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 8 4th gear would help out a lot, I did it on my IX through Shep

HUGE DIFFERENCE
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by recompile
Most race cars are shifting from 3rd to 4th @ 120mph, whereas we're going from 4th into overdrive.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by big block ix
wats so funny?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You need a big turbo to push more hot air , and don't forget gearing, gearing ,gearing very important.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

@ I.R.A. - The fact that we're going into overdrive, which is typically a gas mileage-saving, cruising gear.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 02:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Our cars are not setup to really be "quick" above 120 mph. So your going to have to figure out what's most important to you. Granted, their are people racing at speed for sure. They have most likely addressed the gearing though. The higher final drive will help your top end, but are you going to really be faster around the whole track with the higher gear slowing you in the short bits? Are you lapping quicker than the German cars in the end?

Last edited by Zeus; Nov 1, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 02:21 PM
CMB
Evolving Member

Could be the tune is lacking or maybe some better cams?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
In my experience going from the IX 4th at 120 to the 8 4th gear is worth about 600rpm saved. On an engine that really doesnt like to spin too high its the way to go. There are alot of reasons it could be not as fast above 120.

Tune, cams, intake manifold, fuel used, overall aerodynamics, etc.. Mine is pretty good to around 150 before it really becomes noticeable that its slowing down.

Mod list perhaps?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 03:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
most likely going into the evo 8 5th gear = overdrive

I would look into getting a 6 speed set-up specifically for racing.

mod list will help as well.

do you run the evo @ Parque Fundidora?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Our cars are not setup to really be "quick" above 120 mph. So your going to have to figure out what's most important to you. Granted, their are people racing at speed for sure. They have most likely addressed the gearing though. The higher final drive will help your top end, but are you going to really be faster around the whole track with the higher gear slowing you in the short bits? Are you lapping quicker than the German cars in the end?
You have a point. The answer is yes, I am lapping 1 sec quicker than GT3 Porsches using slicks ! But there is this Highly modified Porsche that I could beat if I could go a little faster on the front straight, I end up at 143mph at the end of the straight while he ends up at 168mph. At the end of the lap, he is only about 1.5 sec. quicker than me, so I think that if I were only faster on the straight I could chatch up.
And, I would not like to loose how fast I am from corner to corner. Third gear in my transmission is perfect around the track, but you all might be just right, I shift into 5th just about 200 yards into the front straight and from then on it is a long ride to the end. I only pick up about 13 mph on the next 600 yards and then I have to brake.
So probably talking to Sheperd and see if he has a solution for the poor performance of 5th gear.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
most likely going into the evo 8 5th gear = overdrive

I would look into getting a 6 speed set-up specifically for racing.

mod list will help as well.

do you run the evo @ Parque Fundidora?
Hey,it s great to know you know that track! But , no, that track is not longer used for racing. I race in our local track , it is a 2.6 mile fast track.
Who can build that 6 speed transmission? I still have the one that came with the car. I don't remember Sheperd saying anything about rebuilidn a 6 speed for racing, he never gave me that option.

My mod list is...
2.3 L stroker motor, all forged. 9:1
FP Red @ 24 psi.
GSC S2 Cams. and upgraded springs
880 cc. injectors
Walboro fuel pump
Injen Lower and upper intercooler pipes
Injen intake
Buschur racing big Intercooler
Excedy twin plate clutch
Sheperd 5 speed transmission
Mini Batery
Buschur racing Full turbo back exhaust ( no cat )

Quick Reply: FP Red looses punch after 120 mph.