Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: FP Red or BBK
FP Red
47.89%
BBK
45.16%
Other turbo, please specify
6.95%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: FP Red or BBK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2009, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love my BBK full...fast spool and great for a dd...Chad is a good guys to talk to and I got my turbo 3 days after I called...great service!
Old Nov 26, 2009, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

399.3 whp on cbrd's dyno. ported bbk full with a leaking stock bov. 21psi, 7000rpm, 399whp. i have since crushed the stock bov and my logs are showing improved boost holding, so i look forward to getting the car back on the dyno.

but even with the leak, one word comes to mind to describe this turbo: complete. it's the complete package. it doesn't work only in a small rpm range, it doesn't work only at the drag strip, it doesn't require every last support mod, it works great on pump. it doesn't require an extra set of parts to run right, it looks and acts like OEM (which is probably the biggest compliment).

even with a boost leak.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 05:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

I think its a very positive thing that as a consumer/potential client you guys (and gals) have to make these decisions.

It shows me that we, and FP, have been doing a good job of producing a solution for peoples needs, although those needs arent always the same.

At CBRD we build lots of cars and every clients needs are different...and its providing the proper solution that makes our job enjoyable.

So cheers and happy thanksgiving.

cb
Old Nov 27, 2009, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ its to bad for me that you didnt come out with the new bbk sooner other wize i prob would have went with it instead of the red.. i just bought the red last week

it def was a tuff choice
Old Nov 27, 2009, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
I dont have any Matched boost plots with similar mod graphs for the red/bbk/green/etc...

since we released the BBK we have obviously seen way less of other brand turbos at the shop because our clients are coming to us for our product...

I think the plain and simple is this... the bigger the turbo the more lag... bottom line.... we can't make magic happen... as the years go on FP, ourselves, etc... are able to learn more and enhance the spool of the turbos and still maintain power... however robert builds turbos with much higher power capacity in mind.

I never wanted a 550whp stock housing turbo that I have to supply with another oil line, antisurge cover, inlet pipe etc. etc... our turbo is truly the ONLY 100% stock appearing turbo... stock inlet, stock housings, mitsubishi OEM cartridges....

I have had a red on E85 make 450whp on my dyno at 29psi... ive also had BBK's make 430whp on pump gas... did the cars have the same mods? no... so its hard to compare.

that being said.. the BBK is the highest power stock location turbo thats hit our dyno... But obviously if someone brings me an Fp Black car on high boost with good mods I can make more peak power, but it will sacrifice spool..

The key is that when our clients come to us for a tune, work, etc... we really address every aspect of the build.. the right FMIC, piping, injectors, exhaust bits, cams, headwork etc.... because most of our guys are road racers.... and you see great BBK numbers because the packages are optimized in every aspect

Most of the other brand turbo cars that come in, typically have a bigger turbo slapped to a car that isn't built to our specifications... so they may not see the best power they can!

I think we all go over and over with this conversation, at the end of the day, only YOU as the owner know what your expectations are.... and you need to pick the product that best fits YOUR needs and expectations...

hope this helps.

fortunately for everyone, there are alot of good products to choose from in the Evo community right now.

cheers

CB
Thank you for the information! I try to give you guys a call either this week or next. I'm really liking the fact that the BBK is a lot cheaper than the Red also.

Just curious what the mods were on the 430whp BBK?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
399.3 whp on cbrd's dyno. ported bbk full with a leaking stock bov. 21psi, 7000rpm, 399whp. i have since crushed the stock bov and my logs are showing improved boost holding, so i look forward to getting the car back on the dyno.

but even with the leak, one word comes to mind to describe this turbo: complete. it's the complete package. it doesn't work only in a small rpm range, it doesn't work only at the drag strip, it doesn't require every last support mod, it works great on pump. it doesn't require an extra set of parts to run right, it looks and acts like OEM (which is probably the biggest compliment).

even with a boost leak.
399 at 21psi on CBRD's dyno??? u sure??? what fuel was it on??

People are barely getting 400 even on 28psi!!

Can u explain please? ThanX

Last edited by NitrousOxide; Nov 27, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NitrousOxide
399 at 21psi on CBRD's dyno??? u sure??? what fuel was it on??

People are barely getting 400 even on 28psi!!

Can u explain please? ThanX
it's on e70/e85. i know that's a frustrating explanation, but i can't verify that the "e85" i'm buying at the pump is in fact 85/15 and i have reason to suspect that it's currently on a winter blend.

boost tapered to 21.x lbs @ 7000rpm, producing 399whp. boost and power reading as per CBRD's mustang dyno.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

it's on e70/e85. i know that's a frustrating explanation, but i can't verify that the "e85" i'm buying at the pump is in fact 85/15 and i have reason to suspect that it's currently on a winter blend.

boost tapered to 21.x lbs @ 7000rpm, producing 399whp. boost and power reading as per CBRD's mustang dyno.
wtq? peak boost? do you got a basic summary of mods?

thks!
Old Nov 28, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

wow its like 50-50 between the red and BBK!
Old Nov 28, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
The slightly larger billet wheel version BBK full is my choice.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuevo803
wtq? peak boost? do you got a basic summary of mods?

thks!
360 wtq.
fp4r, ets 4", ported exh mani, megan o2, mil.spec 100 cell cat.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

360 wtq.
crap just realized you were on "E85". thanks for the response though
Old Nov 28, 2009, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

how do u like the fp4rs? i hear they are difficult to tune and get a decent idle going.

360 wtq.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

I like em, though all the parts went in at the same time so I can't isolate the cams' effect relative to all the other things going on, such as my leaking bov. Idles fine, better than other cammed cars I have heard. That's a function of your tune/er, though. I can try to post a vid if you're really interested. Look up kracka, he has posted quite a bit about these cams, as well as gst motorsports' customer cars.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
473hp 458 tq on red and e85, stock cams and o2

spool at 4k

Quick Reply: POLL: FP Red or BBK