Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

"low speed" radiator fan system not working

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
"low speed" radiator fan system not working

Hi,

my car was overheating on the dyno, was getting up to about 112*C.
I've just put in a new alloy radiator to help with the problem.

I checked with Evoscan when the fan is coming on. 105*C.
Thats the "high speed" turn on for the radiator dual speed fan.
I'm using 2x smaller aftermarket fans.
One fan for "low speed", one fan for "high speed".
I tried swapping the low and high speed fan signals from the ECU pinouts. But still only the "high speed" fan turns on.

So in theory, but switching the outputs from the ECU with activates the relays, everything is working fine, except for the ECU output.

Name:  radfansys.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  56.5 KB

My car doesn't have AirCon installed.

Any ideas?
Is there anywhere i can set the fan control to 95*C for both high and low temp?

Cheers, Mike
Old Nov 29, 2009, 01:47 PM
EvoM Guru

i've jumpered between pin 21 (rad fan lo) and pin 26 (earth) to make it on all the time.
the other fan will kick in at 105*C if it gets that hot.

the output on the ECU must be dead, i'll pull it out at work 2mrw and maybe resolder the transister, or at least test it.

Cheers, Mike
Old Dec 25, 2009, 02:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any updates?? Ive just installed 2 new slim fans and they dont work at all.. I removed my ac and also the condensor to get them in... they work when I trip the relay but not when the car is running??
Old Dec 25, 2009, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ to answer ur question if ur trippin the relay that means ur puttin power to the relay and ur energizing it, basically making the fans work....how do u have it wired in...also on another note shouldnt the slim line fans be installed on the back of the radiator..???? i would say either ur not up to a direct 12 v source...recheck ur wiring then report back
Old Dec 25, 2009, 01:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by joyce1bro
any updates?? Ive just installed 2 new slim fans and they dont work at all.. I removed my ac and also the condensor to get them in... they work when I trip the relay but not when the car is running??
i pulled the ECU out and tested it at work. We couldn't really determine exactly what the problem is, but there is still not output being sent to the relay to the "low speed fan" circuit. Jumpering that output to earth has been working fine.

do you know how to take the pins out of your ECU plugs? If so, find the "low/high speed" fan wires, and short them to ground while the car is running (this completes the circuit). If they dont work, then check the Voltage at the relays to see if it's getting power. If they are working with the car off, but not with it on, then test it in both situations and try to work out why they aren't working. I can't really see what circuit would be off when the car is on.

^^^ to answer ur question if ur trippin the relay that means ur puttin power to the relay and ur energizing it, basically making the fans work....how do u have it wired in...also on another note shouldnt the slim line fans be installed on the back of the radiator..???? i would say either ur not up to a direct 12 v source...recheck ur wiring then report back
i've got my fans on the front, blowing through the radiator.
the way these are wired up, 12V is always applied to the Relays. When the ECU activates it, it's just applying an earth so current can flow through to close them.
So with that in mind, if the car is "ON" you should be able to find 12V on at least one of the pins. If not, then you have a problem.

Cheers, Mike
Old Dec 25, 2009, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
which pin numbers are you using for high and low?
Old Dec 25, 2009, 03:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
which pin numbers are you using for high and low?
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=196839

pin 20 and 21 on evo6 ecu.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
when I wired an evo 5 power fc into the evo1 I ran into this issue. but for me the issue was the high and low triggers were swapped. just wanted to be sure you had the right pins.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RSMike
Hey ******* =)

yeah Im having this issue... I chucked in my new fans that I got from speedtech and they arent working at all... I used Evoscan to try and activate them but nothing.. I then hooked the condensor fan back up and tried to activate the rad fans and WTF the condensor fan went on... tried both high and low and both times condensor fan... the rad fans did jack all...

So I was like... well Im going to hook the fans up to those wires did that and now when I activate the rad fans they turn on and off SWEET!! I started the car and warmed her up but fans never went on... then again the temp gauge stayed a couple of bars below half way so I thort maybe it wasnt getting hot enuff...

I then tried to activate the fans while the car was running with evoscan and ummmmm NADA!!! didnt work... I wonder if the evoscan activation doesnt work when the engines running.. it did say that it connected and was successful tho... only time will tell!!!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by joyce1bro
Hey ******* =)

yeah Im having this issue... I chucked in my new fans that I got from speedtech and they arent working at all... I used Evoscan to try and activate them but nothing.. I then hooked the condensor fan back up and tried to activate the rad fans and WTF the condensor fan went on... tried both high and low and both times condensor fan... the rad fans did jack all...

So I was like... well Im going to hook the fans up to those wires did that and now when I activate the rad fans they turn on and off SWEET!! I started the car and warmed her up but fans never went on... then again the temp gauge stayed a couple of bars below half way so I thort maybe it wasnt getting hot enuff...

I then tried to activate the fans while the car was running with evoscan and ummmmm NADA!!! didnt work... I wonder if the evoscan activation doesnt work when the engines running.. it did say that it connected and was successful tho... only time will tell!!!
where abouts in NZ are you located Mate?
we can have a look after the holidays and see if we can work it out.
i wouldn't trust the standard temp gauge too much either, mine was going from 112*C to 91*C without it really moving. Check your temps on Evoscan.
Do you have a multimeter to check your voltages etc?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Im in wellys... I spose youre in Aucks.. the car is going in tomorrow to get a couple of little electrical things sorted so I'll get them to chuck a multimeter on the relay and get it checked.. I havent checked the temp with evoscan yet so will do.. the engine seems to run pretty low temp on idle. always a 3/4 of the way to half.. and never really moves, thats with the fans not working.... has a better thermostat...
Old May 10, 2018, 05:43 AM

Good day ppl I’m just wondering if anyone figured out how to fix this fan speed problem as I’m having the same issue and changed all sensor and the problem continues. Really need to know. Help!!