Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

how do i bleed my clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how come in the video the bolt that he opens is the bolt that the rubber piece is on? And for this, do i have to add in brake fluid to the master cylinder or the brake reservoir?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ you might as well have someone call you and walk you through it, lol! ^^

its a pretty simple concept, and its been explained twice in 2 threads youve made.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i was talking to this guy on my other thread about it and i called him but i didnt really want to ask him so many questions. lol!!
Old Dec 2, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

its an easy task.. just difficult to explain and have it make sense to the inexperienced.. you'll get down.. then you will find yourself being the one to try and explain it lol! goodluck!!
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you are making this more complicated than it is....sometime it helps to think about what you are doing instead of looking at it as a certain sequence of steps.

How your clutch works:

When you press in your clutch it causes the clutch master cylinder (mounted on the firewall to the side of the brake master cylinder) to compress the fluid in the line. The fluid pushes on the slave master cylinder to push the pressure plate in and release the clutch.

You need to bleed the line to get all of the air that may be trapped in the system.

Two people are needed unless you replace the bleed screw on the slave cylinder with a automatic bleed screw.
One person gets in the driver's seat. The other person gets a small container and fills it with at least an inch of clean fluid. Get a small section of vacuum hose and push one end of it onto the bleed screw. submerge the other end of it in the fluid in your small container. Top off the clutch master cylinder with fresh fluid. Tell the person helping you to push the clutch in and hold it. Loosen the bleed screw and you will see that fluid and air bubbles will be pushed out of the hose into the container. Tighten the screw back down. Tell your friend to stop pushing the clutch in. Tell him to push in the clutch and hold it. loosen the bleed screw. Let the fluid come out and then tighten the screw back down. Tell your friend to let go of the clutch pedal. CHECK YOUR CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER AND TOP IT OFF WITH FRESH FLUID! Repeat these steps until you are no longer getting dirty fluid and/or air bubbles coming out. Do not let the master cylinder go empty or you will have to start over from the beginning. The fluid in the small container that you have the hose in is to prevent air from getting into the line during the bleeding process. Make sure you top off the master cylinder reservoir and check that the bleed screw is tightened down when you are done. Give yourself a pat on the back and thank your friend. you're done.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Buy a speed bleeder and install it on the slave cylinder then crack it open slighlty and pump untill you get tired. make sure to refill the brake/clutch master cylinder to the top every so often. Best thing is no buddy to make fun of you. I like making mistakes by myself.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Hey! thanks spdngdragon. Thats what i did. WEll thanks everybody. I just need to do it a couple more times now and ill be done. Thanks everybody for everything they wrote for me. Ive learned alot from this. Ill shooot yu guys some more questions if needed.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsuevodriver
Hey! thanks spdngdragon. Thats what i did.
No problem. We all learned some time. Important thing is that you did it yourself and learned something new about your car.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

yup fosho!! thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 01:28 PM

another noob questions

what fluid do we use after bleeding it?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.evogarage.net/wiki/index...._Line_Bleeding
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

OK, I have a stupid question too. Since air bubbles go UP, and the slave cylinder is not the highest point in the clutch fluid system, how are you supposed to get all the air out by opening a nipple on the slave cylinder?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:14 AM

The brake fluid will push the air out. When I bled my clutch I just opened the nipple on the slave and left it dripping for a few minutes making sure I kept the reservoir topped up - worked like a charm.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fanbelted
OK, I have a stupid question too. Since air bubbles go UP, and the slave cylinder is not the highest point in the clutch fluid system, how are you supposed to get all the air out by opening a nipple on the slave cylinder?
lol..i d k what u mean by air bubbles go "up"....u talkin bout fartin under water? ...

but the bubbles will get pushed out of any opening...all you are doing is connecting hose to bleeder and you are continuously pumping threw liquid so all the air gets out of the line
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sharkm87
lol..i d k what u mean by air bubbles go "up"....u talkin bout fartin under water? ...

but the bubbles will get pushed out of any opening...all you are doing is connecting hose to bleeder and you are continuously pumping threw liquid so all the air gets out of the line
Yeah, something like that. Air is lighter than both water and clutch fluid, so it will float "up" inside the clutch lines until it reaches the highest point. So when you open the bleeder valve, which is at a LOWER point, the air stays where it is, while clutch fluid is squirted out of the bleeder valve. I am also confused by your statement that liquid is continuously pumped through. Here is my understanding of the bleeding process:

1. connect bleeder valve to a small container of clean clutch fluid with a rubber hose.
2. have friend pump clutch pedal 10x, then hold it down.
3. open the bleeder valve and let fluid dribble out through the hose.
4. close the bleader valve

Repeat steps 2-4 until no more bubbles show up in the clean container.

The steps above are what I got from reading this forum, but I don't get how there is "continuous" pumping of fluid. Seems to me like there is a pause between step4 and step2, allowing the air bubbles to float upward.

Quick Reply: how do i bleed my clutch?