Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Change that fuel pump!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by timzcat
As usual Silver Surfer, nice technical post.
I was just on the Dyno today and experienced detonation at 5000 RPMs that caused a dip in the graph. Naturally, the detonation was tuned out by the dip still exists. From Al's experience this is related to ****ty gas. I'd be interested to see how the fuel pump would affect the dip though. It is not noticable at all, just shows up on the dyno.
Not the fuel pump for sure. The fuel pump shows up more at 7,000 and at the end of real long 4th gear pulls.

Also - we were able to add in lots of fuel - it was just the fact that we had to pull some timing and put in more fuel to get it to run clean in that area that was the issue. Just too bad it was hitting the detonation at that point b/c the rest of the curve was totally quiet. I was happy that you can't feel the spot you see on the dyno and we had it totally detonation free!

I'm NOT looking forward to doing a dyno day in LA - I am spoiled by 94 octane fuel we have in CT and can't imagine how much power we will have to cut on modified cars with 91 octane - (its bad enough how much fuel we have to add in out through the mail 91 octane map!)
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to agree that the Fuel pump upgrade is a good idea.. With the cooler weather, I found I was getting intermittant detonation with ONLY a turbo back exhaust and open air filter.. I was wracking my brain looking at things that could have been causing it and came to the conclusion (without adequate instrumenation its tough) that it was fuel cut or not enough fuel volume under certain circumstances. I will certainly attempt to upgrade the pump in preparation for other modifications, so if it goes away, then I'll know.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:36 PM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by MalibuJack
I have to agree that the Fuel pump upgrade is a good idea.. With the cooler weather, I found I was getting intermittant detonation with ONLY a turbo back exhaust and open air filter.. I was wracking my brain looking at things that could have been causing it and came to the conclusion (without adequate instrumenation its tough) that it was fuel cut or not enough fuel volume under certain circumstances. I will certainly attempt to upgrade the pump in preparation for other modifications, so if it goes away, then I'll know.
You would not believe it but many of the air intakes we have seen actually throw off the maf signal enough to get some cars to run very lean with them

I would suggest you check the a/f ratio out with a wideband

Usually we don't see the need to upgrade the fuel pump till 290 - 310 whp - depending on the car

I would suggest that every one get the Walbro pump AND a in car fuel pressure gauge they are musts if you plan on doing mods
Old Oct 26, 2003, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by zstryder
So will I need to actually readjust any of my boost/SAFCII settings after installing a fuel pump? Or is it a kind of install and forget sorta mod?
Depends on your car and mods. If at high RPM the stock pump was dropping off, you might need to make some minor corrections in that range. You should be able to tell with a wideband, better yet if you have before #'s to compare to see changes. I see no reason to change boost.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

So the fuel filter accompanies the fuel pump? If that's the case might as well change the pump too. How often are you supposed to change out the fuel filter?
Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:43 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by Space Monkey
So the fuel filter accompanies the fuel pump? If that's the case might as well change the pump too. How often are you supposed to change out the fuel filter?
Thats not going to be a fun experience for the checkbook and certainly something that cannot be done by the local Jiffy Lube Crew! What was thinking??!!! Oh I know you need your fuel filter changed every 3K cha ching thats $300 please
Old Oct 26, 2003, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

I have never heard of a fuel filter needing to be replaced every 3k miles. More like 30k if even then. Maybe we should check the mantenaince schedule before posting numbers from our ***.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 11:40 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by sir lurks alot
I have never heard of a fuel filter needing to be replaced every 3k miles. More like 30k if even then. Maybe we should check the mantenaince schedule before posting numbers from our ***.
Sorry Sir lurks alot I did mean to put 30K- So Correction everyone I ment 30K so sir lurks alot wont be all inflamed like on nasioc!! Attention attention I made a typo!!

Last edited by MP5; Oct 26, 2003 at 12:19 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

When I was looking for the filter in the shop manual, I was also looking for the service interval. I couldn't find it for the fuel filter!

Normally something that large has a 60,000 mile life.

Old Oct 26, 2003, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

The exploded view on page 13B-18 shows that the fuel filter is integral to the white plastic module housing, but you wouldn't need to buy the pump, level sensor, etc. Now I am sure it costs more than an inline, but probably not as bad as $300, since you don't have to get the whole module, just one component.

's reason for this from 13B-2 is:

"A fuel pump module, including fuel pump, fuel filter, reservoir cup and fuel level sensor (main), has been adopted to lighten weight and improve serviceability."
Old Oct 26, 2003, 12:07 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by Hammerli

The exploded view on page 13B-18 shows that the fuel filter is integral to the white plastic module housing, but you wouldn't need to buy the pump, level sensor, etc. Now I am sure it costs more than an inline, but probably not as bad as $300, since you don't have to get the whole module, just one component.

's reason for this from 13B-2 is:

"A fuel pump module, including fuel pump, fuel filter, reservoir cup and fuel level sensor (main), has been adopted to lighten weight and improve serviceability."
I buy everything except "serviceability" How could a fuel filter mounted on a strut tower not be the ultimate in "serviceability"??
Old Oct 26, 2003, 01:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by MP5

Thats not going to be a fun experience for the checkbook and certainly something that cannot be done by the local Jiffy Lube Crew! What was thinking??!!! Oh I know you need your fuel filter changed every 3K cha ching thats $300 please
Yikes! Expensive, but the good news is the fuel filter doesnt need to be changed very often.. about 30k, in fact my car has 13k on it and when I asked about changing the filter, they outright said its not needed unless you get a tank of bad gas that has alot of sediment that could have plugged up the filter.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MP5

I buy everything except "serviceability" How could a fuel filter mounted on a strut tower not be the ultimate in "serviceability"??
That means they get to spend more time servicing your car. Improves their bottom line...
Old Oct 26, 2003, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MP5

Yeah, after discovering the module is in effect a chinese jig saw puzzle, I think the dealership will charge for a half hour of labor just to remove the thing. What a PITA!
Old Oct 27, 2003, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

BTW I don't know if there was possibly a particular problem with my fuel pump, but the new pump seemed to clear up intermitent knock at all RPM ranges. The most sensitive knock area seems to be between 5k to 6.5K. I never monitored my fuel pressure but the wide band A/F ratios remained very consistent so....

It will definiately make your car run richer in the higher RPM's so you will want to make adjustments to your fuel map after replacing the pump.

Either way, the fuel pump is a relatively cheap easy mod, well worth the added insurance IMO.

Quick Reply: Change that fuel pump!