Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Change that fuel pump!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2003, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by umiami80
Cool, More fule is always good in contolled amounts.

So the question is this...

Will a 255LPH Fuel pump OVER RUN the stock FPR, or will it need to be replaced? Anyone test the OEM FP at idle, then upgrade the pump, and then test it again to see if it is over run?
I'd say with stock cams and injectors you can just adjust out some fuel up top and the FPR is okay. If you are doing the cams or more importantly the injectors then you want a good FPR.
I know Pruven is working on a sweet FPR, don't know if it's available yet saw it while I was up there.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 09:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by umiami80
Cool, More fule is always good in contolled amounts.

So the question is this...

Will a 255LPH Fuel pump OVER RUN the stock FPR, or will it need to be replaced? Anyone test the OEM FP at idle, then upgrade the pump, and then test it again to see if it is over run?
I think that can somewhat be infered from Silver Surfer's first post on this thread... between the lines if you know him...
Old Nov 5, 2003, 09:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry some how I missed the last few posts on this thread. Anway, as you might know I have an FJO wide band permanently installed and I am testing a Power FC (L-Jetro) in my car. I found my A/f ratios at idle and part throttle stayed the same and I only needed to lean the mixture under boost above 5K. I also reinstalled the stock ECU at one point and found the same situation.
Brice over at Alamo (where I bought the pump) also installed the same pump on his car the very same day, he is running the Autronic system in his car. He tells me that his A/F ratios were half point richer every where including idle, he leaned it out with the Autronic. Hmm so what does this tell us? Well my car has a lot more miles (over 19K), and I have run the fuel tank almost dry on several occasions. So it could be that my fuel filter is begining to clog, and that may be keeping my regulator from over running?
I don't have a fuel pressure gauge installed niether does Brice so....
I have a fuel pressure gauge with a hose and tee fitting that I usually temporarily install for adjustments and testing in these situations. The fuel line hose has a compression fitting that does not make it easy to install my fuel pressure test gauge and I really did not want to cut the hose.
So an upgraded FPR might be a good idea, cannot say for sure just yet. I need to test my fuel pressure and possibly replace my fuel filter. I might end up being the first one to try and bypass the stock fuel filter and rig up an inline filter.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 06:39 AM
Account Disabled

Another Opinion........................................
Old Nov 6, 2003, 07:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Not that different really, even David admits your getting close to the limit of the fuel system. Like I already said, the knock I was seeing was very intermittent and only happened after extreme sustained high load situations. I could run 1/4 miles or single gear dyno pulls all day long and not see it. Unless you’re constantly data logging or have a peak hold for the knock level like the Power FC has, there is a good chance you wouldn’t notice it.

The real question is: Is it a good idea to run the fuel system any where near its limit? You can obviously do it for a while and possibly not notice or experience any problems, that doesn't necessarily make it a wise choice, does it?

It is ok to respect and appreciate advice from others (especially an authority like David) and still disagree, blindly following anyone's advice is very foolish IMO.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MP5

Well I never fully looked into it between the HP and regular Walboro units but the way I understand how the FFPR works is based off the manafold pressure so I think it is definately worth it to get the HF walboro that way you can sustain more flow at higher RPM and boost pressures without worry of instantly running lean- Remember the EVO is capable of spinning 7600 RPM stock thats gettin into severe duty if you are running good boost to redline.

Also the Supra pump has been discussed on every forum for some reason people thing a oem pump costing 2.5X the price of a walboro is better quality- Well maybe but it sure cant flow as much as the WB HP- it tanks out hard when trying to flow high pressure at high RPM/Boost- I know 2 guys that ditched the supra pump on the WRX in favor of the "crappier" walboro
The Supra Pump by no means a bolt on for the WRX. It's much larger and should be in a Sherman Tank. I have used both in my WRX. The walbros are great units for the money but as nosiey as hell. I think this time around I will be using the PE210 pump witch is the RX7 denso pump. Direct bolt in.

What is the stock one rated as.

Eric
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder what Dave is monitoring his knock with...

I wish someone had a device that could just monitor knock count. Like the pocketloggers on 1G DSMs. Im tired of looking at my damn timing curve to see where the ECU is pulling timing. Why can't I just see my ****ing knock whenever I want?! I also have a wideband, I will see what my AFRs look like if I ever get a new fuel pump..
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by boostedwrx
I wonder what Dave is monitoring his knock with...

I wish someone had a device that could just monitor knock count. Like the pocketloggers on 1G DSMs. Im tired of looking at my damn timing curve to see where the ECU is pulling timing. Why can't I just see my ****ing knock whenever I want?! I also have a wideband, I will see what my AFRs look like if I ever get a new fuel pump..
PE and link have knock gauges.

Knock link Box or gauge.

I had the knock link and it did work but it was just really a confrimtion that I was knocking. I could hear it before the knock link light up.

Eric
Old Nov 6, 2003, 12:52 PM
Account Disabled

HKS makes one of the nicest one out there -and you pay for it. The knock link could quite possibly be the ugliest thing I have ever seen in a car.

PE makes no such item AFAIK - they do sell (rebadged unit) a very expensive wideband moniter though.

Truth be told, you can easily make such a device yourself...people have been doing it for years in the DSM forums.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adam : how

and what device does HKS make that will monitor knock?
Old Nov 7, 2003, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I have the Walbro 255 and the install was a breeze (just don't have alot of gas in the car). For the people who want to know about noise, it sounds like alittle drill in my back seat (like a dremel). Its kinda annoying at times but what are you gonna do.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 11:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Local auto store sound deadening material works wonders over the pump/under the seat...