Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Streetable Power

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2003, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Streetable Power

I am not new to modifying cars in general, and imports in particular, but I am new to turbo'd cars and know that the tuning and modification paths for these cars are a lot different than a N/A car (which is where my experience base lay).

My question is this. Give A/F Tuning ability, am I better off to attack the intake or exasut side of things first. Please understand I am looking for the comments on which route you would suggest, as well as why it outweighs the other options.

My EVO is a daily driver, that is also occasionally used by my wife, or used by me to haul around our 2 year old. That being said, exaust mods that greatly increase volume are not desirable since Nathan sits back there near the noisy end.

I know that exaust mods can be done that will not increase volume to an unaceptable level, but do they generate more streetable power per $$ than new intake piping, BOV, Intercooler, and intercooler piping.

I will admit I am new to the turbo arena, and am just looking for opinions from some of you with more 4g63 turbo experience.

Thank you for your time,
Scott
Old Oct 26, 2003, 06:03 PM

exhaust mods will help the turbo spool up faster. it should also free some hp in the high rpms. if you get an exhaust with a resonator and muffler it probably should be fine for your child.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 06:16 PM

Location: right now in the philippines but i should be back stateside early next year
yeah the first step you should go is the intake and the exhuast or visa versa.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ritchwell
yeah the first step you should go is the intake and the exhuast or visa versa.
Well thank you for that little piece of nothing. If you did not have something constructive to add Ritchwell. Why not just keep quiet.

With the money I have to mod until next summer. I can afford to go intake piping (MAF to turbo, and intercooler piping), or exaust (turbo back) WIth HF-CAT.

Whatever is done needs to be streetable power that my wife will not complain about driving, and will not deafen my neighbors and son.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

You can always opt for a magnaflow exhaust to make the upgraded exhaust quiter and yet still have the power. Bushcar make there exhaust to order, depending on your tastes (quite or loud).As far as going for intake you can just upgreade to a simple straight intake. I have the HKS suction intake and makes alot more noise than before.If you opt for those two items i would go for a afc or ecu upgrade to manage the change in A/F. Hope this helps a little.

Dan
Old Oct 26, 2003, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Get the turbo back if you want the best power gains. The intakes have shown to add very very little...and maybe even hurt power. Intercooler pipe upgrades and something like a AEM intake kit will help you more when you have other mods.

If you want the most hp for a decent price the best mods might be an axle back exhaust such as the Pruven, Works, or Buschurs, an mbc, and a SAFC II. That would give you good hp gains and it would barely be louder than stock.

Last edited by broeli; Oct 26, 2003 at 06:54 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input.

Once the winter tires get mounted (Snow.. Oh boy ).
Parts I already have, but have not installed yet.
Greddy Type S ( will be RBV config.) I know it won't gain me anythign in power, but hopefully with someadjusting it will help with serge/stalling, and hold boost better (read that no leakage)

SS Clutch line. Will go in shortly, along with restrictor/regulator removal.