Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New ETS intake?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New ETS intake?

Is anyone using the new ETS intake and if so are you still having idle problems without scaling the MAF?

Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
My car idles for *** sometimes. That isn't the ETS intake I have though I have their T3 kit as well so I guess I have their MAF pipe specific to the kit.

I switching to SD soon and will fab a 4in intake and be done with it
Old Jan 3, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
My car idles for *** sometimes. That isn't the ETS intake I have though I have their T3 kit as well so I guess I have their MAF pipe specific to the kit.

I switching to SD soon and will fab a 4in intake and be done with it
Switch soon, your car will love you lol.

I tried quite a few intakes before I went SD, and all the metal one's had the same results...crappy idle, 12:1 afr's at idle at times, dead spots in the maf frequency, fuel trims jumping around with no consistency. Only 2 intakes I tried with any luck was the stock one and the Perrin silicone one. This new version might work a bit better though since there's a silicone hose connecting between the maf and the metal pipe.

FYI, the adapter they use on their kit is the same one I used throughout all my tests, so no worries with that.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

I had the original and a bunch of issues came up while tuning throughout the last couple of years. The whole time I thought it was the cams. Buddy of mine told me to switch intakes because he was sure it was my intake pipe. He had it and switched to the new one and all his issues went away. I was skeptical at first but grabbed one of the new ones while the sale was going on. Put it on and immediately there was a difference. Car was no longer stalling with heat on, wasn't running pig rich at light throttle causing the car to freak out. You name it it cleared up. Car absolutely refused any timing at peak torque before and now my tune has already gone up 4 degrees there. This made me .
I definitely recommend the new style intake.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 07:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome awesome intake since it has been redesigned, we have seen great things from this
Old Jan 3, 2010, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got one, and I have been back and forth with ETS for months now about the fitment. Quite simply put, it points right at the battery and by the time you add the air filter it is pressed hard against the fuse block. And this is only workable at all by shoving the pipe waaaaaaay into the coupler for the MAF creating this situation. If you don't shove the pipe like the pic shows, the assy is too long to even get the filter on.
Attached Thumbnails New ETS intake?-flow-problem.jpg   New ETS intake?-rub.jpg   New ETS intake?-no-room-full-length.jpg  
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDavenport
I've got one, and I have been back and forth with ETS for months now about the fitment. Quite simply put, it points right at the battery and by the time you add the air filter it is pressed hard against the fuse block. And this is only workable at all by shoving the pipe waaaaaaay into the coupler for the MAF creating this situation. If you don't shove the pipe like the pic shows, the assy is too long to even get the filter on.
I was actually hoping you had something - damn! I ran into a bit of a fitment issue as well, but because I have the short route ETS upper pipe I can't install the same as you Jim because my intake and maf wouldn't be able to go on since it runs right into the middle of the upper pipe.

Have you resolved anything yet? I wrote Michael to get his take on this. I'll try and post up some pics later to show what I'm talking about.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:30 AM
Evolving Member

I am running the new intake.

1. No idling issues
2. Ya the final resting place of the cone filter isn't ideal, but it still works and is still sucking in air. I didn't think it was a big deal, but I guess I can cut the intake pipe a bit if I feel like shortening it up.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the new intake in brushed ss finish and love it!
Idle is perfect and it runs great. I had fitment issues at first it was hitting and rubbing against the fuse box and pump. Made some adjustments and now it sits perfect with no rubbing or anything.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Stupid design if you ask me, I like their old kit better. I know a local (well, local before I moved to TX) guy couldn't get his to fit so ETS actually sent him their old-style intake in exchange.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Stupid design if you ask me, I like their old kit better. I know a local (well, local before I moved to TX) guy couldn't get his to fit so ETS actually sent him their old-style intake in exchange.
I was wondering if I was the only person having this problem.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

I dont know why so many peoples had problems with the old intake. I got it to work just fine.

Jdavenport, it looks like you dont have it installed correctly. You need to turn the piping and couplers slightly.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
I dont know why so many peoples had problems with the old intake. I got it to work just fine.

Jdavenport, it looks like you dont have it installed correctly. You need to turn the piping and couplers slightly.
Please do tell me how? Anybody got pics of one of these new ones installed correctly if I am doing it wrong?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

so whats a good pipe with a good install?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

I just received my ETS inake in the mail today. What should i prepare for? I have the 94170008 rom. Im thinking of switching to v5.10. Can the intake be scaled with the stock rom?

Quick Reply: New ETS intake?