Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need Turbo Advice for High Revving Time Attack Setup

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Turbo Advice for High Revving Time Attack Setup

Hello all,
This is my first post but I have been creeping around the forum heavily for a couple months, learning what I can.

I have been researching for a while on a high revving (have usable power in the 9-10k range) Time Attack (slash daily driver) build between 480-520 hp. The turbo will be just about the last thing I touch as I want to do a proper build, addressing almost every aspect of the car. Unfortunately I don't think I have enough money to stroke so it's going to be strictly 2.0 build. I have been having trouble deciding which turbo to settle with, heading mostly in the twinscroll direction though. Peak power is not as important to me as throttle response. I have looked into the Borg Warner s200sx 75/70 ported to a T4 and the gt3076 twin scroll but have yet to find any dyno sheets. Please, throw out suggestions on appropriate turbos (as well as data to back it up). Should I go with a bigger turbo? Edit: It's an Evo VIII

The mods I will have when the turbo kit goes on will include:
*Robispec Coilovers
*Buschur Racing Evolution 3" Turboback Exhaust w/Magnaflow & HFC
*APS C.A.I. with water resovoir
*Nisei UBC mini Battery kit
*Buscher SS O2 Housing
*Walbro 255
*Precision 880cc Injectors
*MAP AFPR Install Kit with AEM Regulator
*Nisei Competition FMIC
*Nisei Complete IC Pipe Kit
*MAP Crankcase Vacuum Kit
*Tomei 270 Cam
*BR Spec Evo 8/9 JE Forged Pistons
*BR Spec Evo 8/9 Crower Rods
*Kiggley Racing Beehive Valvesprings
*ACL Race Series Main and Rod Bearings
*Evolution ARP Headstuds
*Evolution ARP Main Studs
*AMS Fuel Rail
*Works Aperture Throttle Body
*MAPerformance Rev3 Modified Intake Manifold w/ 65mm TB & Ceramic coating
*SPEC SM80ST (Twin Disc ST 1200tq)
*ACT Prolite FLywheel
*Avid Racing Motor Mount Complete Set

Thanks for the help, and please feel free to comment on the rest of the build.

~Trustydrip
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

U will need bigger injectors to get too 500hp!!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you want something that will still be able to breathe out to 9-10k rpm... or throttle response?

What class are you running in?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the tip on the injectors, I'll just get some 1650s or something.

I simply want to be able to head into those high rpm ranges to avoid unnecessary shifting. If I understand properly, no matter what, the torque and power are going to fade once you get up there. It doesn't need to be pulling like a stabbed rat but I like having room to work with.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

What fuel do you plan on using?

Single walbro and 880's won't get you there depending on what dyno your wanting the power from. I suggest DP and 1200's.

Spec clutch has very mixed results and I dont think it will be a good track clutch, you also are picking one thats way more then you need.

Also reving to 9-10k in time attack is retarded and none of those turbo's will be making power. I suggest a 2.3 stroker with a rev limit of 8k, thats more then enough for most tracks. Your looking at another $500 do that.

Im guessing you dont have very much track experience based on the above statement. Perhaps you should rethink your logic.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 04:05 PM

Yeah, I realize I forgot to touch the fuel system when I decided on a more powerful build. The spec clutch was also just thrown out there, looking into clutches is a pain and I am just going to wait until I can try them myself. This will be a daily driver and on 93 pump. And yes, I do have minimal track experience, but this isn't a complete track build, only gonna see it a handful of times a year. I just happen to live next to some incredible driving roads and appreciate the experience.

If I take the stroker route, who makes decent cranks? I can't shell out 3 grand on cossie, but I don't mind paying for quality. It also doesn't solve the problem of which turbo...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Trustydrip
Yeah, I realize I forgot to touch the fuel system when I decided on a more powerful build. The spec clutch was also just thrown out there, looking into clutches is a pain and I am just going to wait until I can try them myself. This will be a daily driver and on 93 pump. And yes, I do have minimal track experience, but this isn't a complete track build, only gonna see it a handful of times a year. I just happen to live next to some incredible driving roads and appreciate the experience.

If I take the stroker route, who makes decent cranks? I can't shell out 3 grand on cossie, but I don't mind paying for quality. It also doesn't solve the problem of which turbo...

Again, what class do you plan on running in Redline Time Attack?

If you are building the motor, you are already illegal for enthusiast class as that has to be an OEM block.

Street class?

If so, i suggest you build your motor (2.0/2.3) and get the new CBRD BBK-B turbo that is coming out. Good for upwards of 400-450whp w/ proper mods on e85 or race gas.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

I highly advise NOT getting the spec clutch. I had horrific high rpm disengagement issues with that clutch which resulted in a damaged ring on my third gear that ended up falling into the final drive and differential resulting in total destruction of the teeth on both parts. The Spec Twin is not by ANY MEANS a competition clutch.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:44 PM

Wow, thanks for letting me know. I will be sure to steer quite clear of them. Looks like I'm leaning towards a 2.3L (any input on Magnus kits, how they compare to Tomei, AMS, or the 2.2 Cosworth) getting fed by a BW S300 SX 83/75.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

880's are fine for those power levels with C16... if you plan on getting tuned for E85 then you'll need bigger injectors and a double pump
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

I would run some sort of race gas for the track, it will help with the engine temps.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

e85>over race gas for power and temp management.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:36 PM

No e85, it's not available in my area. Would definitely run it if possible though. On the track it will be tuned for c16.