Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo Diesel Motor Oil?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisBond1
After trying Mobil 1 and AMSOil in my evo, both didn't last their rated "15,000" mile claim, the AMSOil dirty within 4,000 miles. I thought of the possiblity of using turbo diesel oil in my evo. Has anyone tried this yet? I found Mobil 1 diesel syn oil for a good price but they only have 5w-20. Possible to use that or should I search for more thickness? Thanks.
you cant sit here and say "the oil did not last what they claimed it was dirty within 4K" , you need to come in here with data an oil analsys for example that shows where the oil is sitting chemecally,,, not by colors.

i dont understand how you come to a conclusion just by looking at the color of the oil, i can care less about the color i want to know how the oil is holding up to oxydation, fuel dilution and heat,,,, ive been doing this for a while and know exactly how every different brand of oil performs in our cars Evo's,,, and i can tell you without even seing an oilanalysis on your oil that your oil had lots of life on it left.

now if you give a little more data like, brand of oil was it ATM or XL, was it mobil EP or their blend, also an oil analysis test,,, you might then rethink your conclussion.

Last edited by apagan01; Feb 19, 2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
I've never heard of using Turbo Diesel oil in an evo. Why would you do that? Why wouldn't you use what Mistubishi reccommended? Or what your engine builder reccommended? Yes you're allowed to try it. I'm also allowed to see if sand in my gas tank makes my car go faster.

Dirty oil means it's doing it's job. If anything, your logic is backwards. Most of the time, my oil will be dark and a little dirty (not gold like it is when new), even the first drive after an oil change.
you are on the right path.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsoKid
Rotella.. The shop I do work with swears by it. Its a great oil and after multiple oil analysis under the same conditions it holds up very well in our engines. Its especially good for break in
That is all I run...Rotella 5w40 syn.

I change my oil ever 5k miles - I have had it tested and the tests shows my intervals are fine, and I can actually go longer if needed. Had it tested w/ running E85 and it all came back perfect - was pleased.

I currently have 69k on the ticker and 50k of it was with Rotella.....

Last edited by travman; Feb 19, 2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MitsoKid
Rotella.. The shop I do work with swears by it. Its a great oil and after multiple oil analysis under the same conditions it holds up very well in our engines. Its especially good for break in
I run Rotella T in my car. But that is what my builder suggested. 15W-40. Pretty thick but it works in my car very well.

It is dyno juice though so changes every 3k are essential. Of course it's 11$ for my oil change
Old Feb 19, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldnt use turbo diesel oil because those engines dont operate at the same high temps as regular gas engines. That to me would mean they dont have the same high temp protection. Thats the way i see it.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
geeze, a lot of ignorance in here. generally diesel oils have much better anit wear additives in them, stuff that is limited in gas motor oils because it can hurt catalytic converters if the vehicle burns a lot of oil.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry for MY ignorance, but "generally" and "stuff" is not basis for a valid point.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GaBe511
Sorry for MY ignorance, but "generally" and "stuff" is not basis for a valid point.
go educate yourself on oil before you start looking too stupid. its a fact that diesel oils have a lot more anti wear additives in them.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Liqquid
interesting, anyone else using [rotella]?
I am, Rotella-T Syn 5w40.
Do a search on this forum, i've posted about it before, or go look on other forums about this.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:56 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
geeze, a lot of ignorance in here. generally diesel oils have much better anit wear additives in them, stuff that is limited in gas motor oils because it can hurt catalytic converters if the vehicle burns a lot of oil.
then if you or the rest of evom members in this thread were looking for antiwear aditives they would look into racing dominator or premium 10W40 which are loaded with antiwear additives known as Zinc and Phos,,, no need to run an oil from a diesel vehicle when i can give you 1500 PPM of zinc and phos on dominator 10W30 or 15W50 and oil analysis will prove my statement,,,

Last edited by apagan01; Feb 19, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
then if you or the rest of evom members in this thread were looking for antiwear aditives they would look into racing dominator or premium 10W40 which are loaded with antiwear additives known as Zinc and Phos,,, no need to run an oil from a diesel vehicle when i can give you 1500 PPM of zinc and phos on dominator 10W30 or 15W50 and oil analysis will prove my statement,,,
i used to run amsoil and it is great stuff, but its too big of a pain/too expensive to get ahold of.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:31 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
i used to run amsoil and it is great stuff, but its too big of a pain/too expensive to get ahold of.
come one man we can do this all day.

WI is home of our main warehouse,,, get yourself a preffered customer account and save 25-30% off any AMSOIL products,,, you buy a full case of dominator for EXAMPLE 100 bucks you save 30 bucks not shabby,,,
Old Feb 22, 2010, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

n2oiroc, put away the cyber muscles, i never once disputed the anti-wear additives of diesel oil, i was simply stating the operating temps of the engines are different. It was stated above that there is no need to run diesel oil just for those additives. I can can always add a suppliment anyway if i was worried about that. I am more worried about my oil breaking down at high temps is all i was questioning. Case closed.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Actually Rotella 5w-40 Syn is formulated for diesels and gasoline motors.....nobody was posting any data so I thought I would throw something up here.

ROTELLA® T Synthetic

Fully synthetic heavy-duty engine oil.

Product Description

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is a fully synthetic heavy-duty diesel and gasoline engine oil developed especially to meet the requirements of North American driving.

The exclusive Shell formulation offers users exceptional performance and protection in combination with enhanced fuel economy potential over conventional 15W-40 motor oils. This synthetic multigrade engine oil meets the service requirements of virtually all four cycle diesel and many gasoline engine manufacturers.

Applications

Recommended for new and older diesel- and gasoline-powered vehicles, including personal vehicles and commercial vehicles such as on-road, off-the-road, truck rental, pickups, delivery, utility, and school bus fleetsMeets or exceeds the diesel engine requirements of API CI-4 PLUS, Cummins CES 20078, Detroit Diesel, John Deere, Dodge, Ford, GM, International, Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03, Volvo and others; For gasoline engines, it exceeds API SL.
Features/Benefits

Formulated for multipurpose use, simplifying inventory needsOutstanding wear protection and bearing corrosion control helps maximize engine lifeHelps speed cold starts even with low winter temperaturesEnhanced oxidation stability and soot control, especially at higher temperatures, aids service lifeImproved fuel economy – when compared to conventional SAE 15W-40 oilsProduct is warranted against defect and has performance which meets or exceeds virtually all equipment manufacturer’s engine oil warranty requirements.
Approvals and Recommendations

API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CFAPI SL, SJ, SHCummins CES 20078, 20076, 20071Detroit Diesel 7SE 270Mack EO-N Premium Plus ’03, EO-N, EO-M PlusVolvo VDS 2

New CJ-4 spec oil. Says it is a SM rated oil. My motorcycle handbooks say not to use SM rated oils. So I would not use them for my motorcycles anyway.

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic with API CJ -4 Technology

New Shell ROTELLA® T Synthetic. Even better than before.

Experience the latest in engine oil technology for your truck.

Now get the protection you expect from Shell Rotella® T with the added benefits of a full synthetic. With new Shell Rotella® T Synthetic you now get improved fuel-economy potential compared to 15W- 40 oils, outstanding extreme - temperature performance, and better control of wear, deposits and emissions, compared to the previous formulation. Shell Rotella® T. It belongs in your truck.™

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic CJ-4 Technical Data Sheet

Performance Benefits

Improved Wear Performance - Provides a significantly increased level of protection against harmful engine wear when compared to previous generation API CI-4+ engine oils.Improved Deposit Control - The advanced multi-functional dispersant additives in combination with synthetic base oils provide an enhanced level of protection against the effects of soot, dirt and other contaminants.Improved Heat Resistance - Shell Rotella® T Synthetic resists breakdown by heat to provide continuous protection throughout the service interval.Improved Fuel Economy - Use of synthetic SAE5W-40 oils, such as Shell Rotella® T Synthetic, has been shown to be capable of contributing up to 1% improvement in fuel economy in laboratory tests when compared to conventional SAE 15W-40 oils.Protection in Extreme Climates - Shell Rotella® T Synthetic is based on free-flowing synthetic base oils that allow reliable pumping on start-up under cold climate conditions yet remain thick enough even under high temperature operation to protect against wear.

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic with API CJ -4 Technology is for new and older diesel powered vehicles and is suitable for new and older diesel powered vehicles from Class 8 tractor/trailers to heavy-duty diesel pickups, delivery, utility, and school bus fleets.

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic with API CJ -4 Technology meets or exceeds diesel engine requirements of API CJ-4, Cummins, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, Mack, Mercedes Benz, Volvo, Ford. Gasoline engine applications Meets the requirements of API SM
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:50 PM

Mobil 1 fell off longtime ago! The facts are there and research and its def not stronger then rotella t6! I just changed my oil from mobil 1 syn 10w-30 to rotella t6 synthetic 5w-40 few days ago cause i heard nothing but good stuff about it so i wanted to give it a try but im only using it since its winter out here cause 5w is low but it has that 40 and tests shown it protects better then 15w-40! I mean 10w-30 is what bone stock calls for but my car has moderate mods and sees 22-24psi and higher rpms so that means i need something stronger i would imagine.

Here is the full information about this oil= http://www-static.shell.com/static/c...rotella_t6.pdf

i got about 5 quarts of it for $27 at walmart tax included!!!

These are the flashpoints in the oils celcius converted to fahrenheit=

Shell Rotella t6 syn= 435.2f

Amsoil Dominator
5w-20 = 437f
10w-30= 453f
20w-50= 453f

Amsoil 20w-50= 451f

BradPenn=
ow-30= 385f
10w-30 10w-40 10w-50= 400f
20w-50= 420f

Royal Purple flashpoint 400f Royal Purple Racing Oil flashpoint 420f

Castrol Syntec ow20 threw 10w-40= 392f

Mobil 1 syn
15-50= 449.6f
10w-30= 446f
5w-30= 437f
5w-20= 442.4f
0w-40= 446f

Valvoline Fully Synthetic=
ow-20= 428f
5w-20= 429.8f
5w-30 and 10w-30= 433.4f

Valvoline Not Street Legal Synthetic=
5w-30= 460.4f
10w-30= 478.4f
20w-50= 500f

Valvoline vr-1 racing motor oil
10w-30= 429.8f
20w-50= 478.4f

The shell im using does contain more zinc then the mobil also has a better flashpoint then most oils i stated here and i would still choose bradpenn over mobil 1 even though mobil has a higher flashpoint because it has more zinc in it and forccedperformance even said its really good to use. Amsoil 100% synthetic and racing oils are expensive and 20w-50 oils are too thick for winter time. My car is not heavily modified or built motor so no reason to run racing oil either. I like t6 because it has that 5w for fast flow in winter and that 40w for extra protection my motor needs as its seeing more boost the stock and more heat then usual.

Rotella t6 5w40 it's API certified SM so it's fine to use , they just market this oil more for the truck industry being they have this market tied up pretty good. they don't call it million mile oil for nothing, this oil withstands 35+ psi of boost and 18:1 compression ratio just imagine the stress thats put on the bearings.

Last edited by BoostedAWD25; Jan 2, 2011 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo Diesel Motor Oil?