Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

heat wrap

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heat wrap

Hi i been told by a few people that i should heat wrap my turbo headers and downpipes because it would give me more pressure for the boost to kick in. is this statement true?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

YEs! i also here that exhaust wrap is better at retaining heat than ceramic coating!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm.. if this is true then could someone please explain to me how wrapping your header causes an increase in boost pressure? The only advantage I can see is your EGTs will drop. However, I feel if it were a necessary or worthwhile application, you'd probably see it on some of the faster Evos from Buschur, AMS, STM, etc. My philosophy is, do what works. If it's a performance part and you don't see it on a car that runs 8s, chances are, it's probably not going to make a bit of difference. Just my opinion.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont even know what you mean by "give more pressure for the boost to kick in" all heat wrap does is keep temps down in the engine bay.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitepwr
Hmm.. if this is true then could someone please explain to me how wrapping your header causes an increase in boost pressure? The only advantage I can see is your EGTs will drop. However, I feel if it were a necessary or worthwhile application, you'd probably see it on some of the faster Evos from Buschur, AMS, STM, etc. My philosophy is, do what works. If it's a performance part and you don't see it on a car that runs 8s, chances are, it's probably not going to make a bit of difference. Just my opinion.
i don't see how EGT's would drop as this does not affect fuel combustion but just heat management of the engine bay- you could theorize and say "it lessens engine bay temps which lower intake stream temps which then lower egt's but i doubt it.

I remember reading a test done by someone who said air intake temps had a negligible different after a wrap.

it doesn't affect boost pressure but heat wrap does two things- lowers engine bay temps which is great for tubular manifolds with alot of surface area. secondly it can be argued that hotter gases scavenge out the exhaust system easier

also ceramic coating is a better option. Wrap can absorb moisture and cause premature deterioration exhaust metals. I haven't seen tests to compare wrap vs ceramic (i would assume similar results)

Last edited by igo4bmx; Feb 24, 2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by igo4bmx
it doesn't affect boost pressure but heat wrap does two things- lowers engine bay temps which is great for tubular manifolds with alot of surface area. secondly it can be argued that hotter gases scavenge out the exhaust system easier
Close.
The reason it lowers engine bay temps is because it keeps the heat in the exhaust and that's what we want. Hot exhaust flows better and keeps its velocity. The exhaust velocity will scavenge the cylinder better and it is that velocity that "hits the turbo harder" and could be asumed to be more boost.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:15 AM

Thanks guys, you opened my eyes to new and interesting topics i didn't want to get in depth lol, but my simple question of yes or no was answered. turbolarry put it in lamer terms for every one. I asked my science/physics teacher he told me the same thing gases or "exhaust gases" heat up condensing which makes gases travel faster thus creating more pressure to turn the turbine faster. This doesn't mean more boost of psi it just means you'll get up to boost quicker, do to the speed of the escaping gases traveling at a greater velocity.

Last edited by ozzome; Feb 25, 2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lowers underhood temps.
if you ever get an oil leak on a wrapped downpie it'll smoke for days
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im thinking about getting my whole exhaust jet coated- exhaust mani, turbo, 02, downpipe, test and catback its going to be around $600.. i really want to try this but dont know if its worth it? i have not seen any that has done the whole exhaust with wrap or coating maybe ill be the first lol

what do you guys think about it?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:36 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
im thinking about getting my whole exhaust jet coated- exhaust mani, turbo, 02, downpipe, test and catback its going to be around $600.. i really want to try this but dont know if its worth it? i have not seen any that has done the whole exhaust with wrap or coating maybe ill be the first lol

what do you guys think about it?
do it for the bling and be the first
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Probably not worth doing the whole thing. Returns will diminish the further down the exhaust you go. I'd guess that very little heat is transferring to the engine from anything past the downpipe. Also the velocity improvements will be less noticeable on cooler exhaust parts.

For $600 you could port the manifold and O2 (which will create more flow than any jet coat) and also wrap your downpipe.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

not worth it because you most likely will crack something from all the heat being traped by the wrap. by laws of thermodynamic its impossible to have an adiabatic process, meaning there has to be some kind of heat transfer in the atmosphere or other wise as i mentioned previously traped heat is NEVER a good thing. Heat wrap were used mostly on race cars, meaning its not for daily use.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah your rite lol

well i already have my red coated, but im think about selling my invidia 02 housing for the new shear 3" 02 dump and get it coated!?! i'm also selling my invidia ex mani for the shear ex mani and was going to get that coated also so i figured what the hell why not just get the whole tbe coated lol guess it was a bad idea
Old Feb 26, 2010, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erald01
not worth it because you most likely will crack something from all the heat being traped by the wrap. by laws of thermodynamic its impossible to have an adiabatic process, meaning there has to be some kind of heat transfer in the atmosphere or other wise as i mentioned previously traped heat is NEVER a good thing. Heat wrap were used mostly on race cars, meaning its not for daily use.
Oh......well how come the Noble M12 M400 has heat wraped down pipes as standard?....

At the end of the day you want to keep the exhaust gasses hot and not the air around them. Cooler exhaust gasses will have less energy and thus will mena the turbo is less effective. also the massive under hood temps well cause problems.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:42 AM
Former Sponsor

i wrapped my down pipe cause its very close to the oil pan ,