Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO IX wont start after cosworth 272 cam install..HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 09:29 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Sorry guys. My bad. Just thought it better to post here since I have the exact same problem.
Figured if I start the same thread, I'd be linked here or flamed for not searching. LOL
I'll go make another thread. No worries
Old May 13, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SECndEVO
have somebody else check your timing, 0 psi on a motor that worked before is def a timing issue. Your valves are not opening at the right time.
Or they are bent due to him starting the motor with the timing way off, thus they are constantly open and causing 0 compression in all cylinders. If the timing were off a little, you would at least see a little pressure on the gauge every so often when cranking, if they are bent and not closing at all, the gauge wouldn't move at all.

Originally Posted by kaj
Sorry guys. My bad. Just thought it better to post here since I have the exact same problem.
Figured if I start the same thread, I'd be linked here or flamed for not searching. LOL
I'll go make another thread. No worries
Since the problem isn't resolved I would create my own thread, but keep an eye on this one too. Only reason you would get screamed at for not searching is if there was a solution to this exact problem on the boards, but since it isn't definitive yet, it wouldn't hurt to get opinions on your specific setup. As I said though, keep an eye on what is said on this thread too. Hopefully OP will take some pictures of what is going on and how far off he can crank the belt before the cam gears move. 1/4 inch doesn't sound like much, but everything is about timing in a DOHC motor. One little mistake leads to serious consequences.

Last edited by buchnerj; May 13, 2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have stock exhaust cam gear?

Where are the dowel pins at when you have everything lined up at TDC?
Old May 13, 2010, 10:38 AM
kaj

i guess my situation is slightly different. same car. same cams. but my cam gears don't turn without the crank turning. there is no play in my setup.
unless the OP means the bit the intake moves due to the MIVEC setup?

on to make my own thread. good luck, guys.
Old May 13, 2010, 03:05 PM
kaj

I found my problem! Hope this helps someone. Link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post8303849

Nobody caught on to me saying my INTAKE trigger was at 4 o'clock. It's the EXHAUST TRIGGER that should be at 4 o'clock. My CAS triggers are on the wrong cams!!
I'm an idiot. When will I learn to NOT work on my car when I'm exhausted.

OP: double check yours.
Old May 13, 2010, 03:26 PM
kaj

I found my problem! Hope this helps someone. Link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post8303849

Nobody caught on to me saying my INTAKE trigger was at 4 o'clock. It's the EXHAUST TRIGGER that should be at 4 o'clock. My CAS triggers are on the wrong cams!!
I'm an idiot. When will I learn to NOT work on my car when I'm exhausted.

OP: double check yours.
Old May 13, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Note that in the thread you linked the compression was not an issue. The OP in that thread said he could feel that it was not easy to turn over and the compression seemed normal. In this current thread the compression reads 0 psi across all cylinders.
Old May 13, 2010, 06:26 PM
kaj

OP seems to be grasping at straws. Nobody else has solved his problem. I'm just giving some input from a similar issue. Damn. I'm staying out of this thread.

LOL

Originally Posted by buchnerj
Note that in the thread you linked the compression was not an issue. The OP in that thread said he could feel that it was not easy to turn over and the compression seemed normal. In this current thread the compression reads 0 psi across all cylinders.

Last edited by kaj; May 13, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev1LEv0
Ok guys, Ive been a little busy, but I still had time to check on my car, I rechecked timing, CAS, coil plugs, rechecked timing again. But when I was checking the timing I noticed that when the crank pulley is at tdc the cam gears line up with the valve marks, which is good. My question is I can moved the crank pulley from tdc about 1/4 of an inch and the cam gears are still lined up with the valve timing marks. Is this normal??? (if you need me to explain better or differently I can). Thanks guys..
you need to check the timing belt tensioner you should be able to repin it after spining the motor and letting it set for 20 mins .... it sounds like you have wayyyy to much slack in your belt ... and its throwing your timing off maybe .. did you set the mivec gear?
Old May 14, 2010, 01:40 AM
kaj

Anyone know if leaving the timing belt tensioner tool on the engine for an extended amount of time will ruin the tensioner? Like a week or so.
Old May 14, 2010, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

/\your going to get blown up again. lol
Old May 14, 2010, 07:01 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by casper980
/\your going to get blown up again. lol
Most likely. LOL. But maybe not if OP damaged his tensioner, which would explain why he has slack in the timing belt.
Just throwing out info and questions that I hear. Maybe it will help someone one day.
Old May 14, 2010, 07:08 AM

I think he needs to take it to a certified mechanic and stop listening to everybody guess what the problem is.
Old May 14, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
OP seems to be grasping at straws. Nobody else has solved his problem. I'm just giving some input from a similar issue. Damn. I'm staying out of this thread.

LOL
I wasn't trying to come across as mean, if I did I apologize. I was just saying that is unlikely they are the same problem since OP has 0 compression on all cylinders and the other thread kept compression across all cylinders. I agree with the take it to the mechanic suggestion. I think it is still bent valves, but any problem I can think to explain all the symptoms he mentioned will mean some serious repair work.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:06 PM

yes 0 psi is compression issue. bent valves i'm guessing. i have seen it many times on people trying to do it for their selves and it comes out bad. not trying to be mean. even if you zip tie the belt to the gears it can still jump on the crank pulley. the cam gears want to spring off a little and not stay in place. it would be hard to put the gears back on the cams right and not have some thing move.0psi 90% of the time is bent o valves...good luck.

Quick Reply: EVO IX wont start after cosworth 272 cam install..HELP!!