Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Seafoam'd my Evo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why would that be such a popular method though? wouldnt that also eat at your seals?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks I'm gonna go try it in my new beater(Honda with 189,000).
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
yes. then it cleans your injectors, doesnt get in the oil and still cleans all the carbon off the valves and combustion chamber.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

If he changed his oil, its not a big deal. I always just do it from the vac lines at the TB.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its not going to damage your motor every time, but there is potential. i just wanted to point out the risk so someone doesnt post a thread about how they seafoamed their evo and now it burns oil and has a rod knock.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VETTE_50_TH
If he changed his oil, its not a big deal. I always just do it from the vac lines at the TB.
think about it, you are basically pouring strait solvent in your oil. if it doesnt mix right away and if the seafoam gets picked up and pumped to the bearings, its all over. solvents entire purpose id to clean things. it will clean the oil right off your engine internals.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

DSM'ers (4g63 motor too) have been doing it for years. Like VETTE 50 TH said; ; just change your oil immediately afterwards and it's fine.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Religiously used it in my Integra GSR for years brake booster, gas tank, and oil. I sold it with 120k on it or so and it never had an issue.

Havent used it in the EVO though I'll likely pick up some Wynn's products from Apgan. As many have had good results with those products in the EVO
Old Mar 4, 2010, 08:58 AM

seafoam dosent damage ur motor. i run it in my Si with high miles and it blew alotof the arbon out. make it idle alittl beter and better fuel economy. with the crankcase pour it in thier run it for abit then drain and fill with new oil..
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Having some preignition/detonation on a kei car that can't be explained any other way but carbon buildup ... to try or not to try?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

if you put it in your oil im 95% sure your supposed to change your oil soon after. correct me if im wrong
Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

you arent suppose to drown the engine with it, i wouldnt worry about damage. you arent suppose to drive it hard or even at all (debatable). your suppose to let it circulate in there abit via the gas tank, oil fill and brake booster line then let it sit there for some time. then next drive just granny around the neighborhood filling the streets with smoke. then change oil. it does thin the oil abit but some of these worries are paranoia.

if you are paranoid about bearings going, just put alittle in the brake booster line and some in the gas tank and you'll get minimum seafoam reaching the oil.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

There is alot being said in this thread but it seams that people aren't getting the point.

Seafoam has been around and been used for years. It is usually reserved for higher milage vehicles, but if you feel your car needs a little cleaning then you can still use it. The instructions tell you to find a vacuum line be for ignition to suck up about a third of the bottle. The other third is to be poured into the oil inlet and the rest to the gas tank.

I did a third in the brake booster line and then poured the rest in the gas tank. Yes this stuff is pure solvent and might make parts of your oil system unhappy that is why you CHANGE THE OIL as soon as this stuff have run through the system.

Whenever i seafoamed my evo it was in the winter so I saw quite a bit of white smoke come out the tail pipe. Didn't really notice any gains in fuel economy or adverse drivability.
Check this link to see from another sea foam user.
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!videos...&v=yhn5_laDaIU
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:21 PM

Ive used to treat gas that had water in it and it worked very well
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would not put this **** in my car ever. its a little shady if you ask me. it might work for a lot of ppl but look up about how many it didnt work for.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Seafoam'd my evo about 5k ago...brake booster, oil crankcase...changed oil next day.
I hope you weren't driving your car around with that stuff in the oil.

Quick Reply: Seafoam'd my Evo