Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dealership Damaged Wedge Collar!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychoLogiKal
they are not a mitshu dealership so they have no clue what that part was called or anything they have no clue what assembly it comes with in order to order it. I was having them install a slightly used clutch that i got from a member on these forums first of the year.

the wedge collar that they broke was the one that was installed in the evo at dis-assembly. which by watching the videos on installation online i can see that they did indeed damage it *they say that it was broken already when they dis-assembled* when trying to assemble it again the first time i can deduce by the fact that -

the clutch has worked fine from the day i got it until it slowly went out as all clutches do. while i was there inspecting what they said was wrong and what they needed me to get, i noticed that one of the 6 prongs *2 of which were completely gone* was bent down outwards over the indentation that fits on the pressure plate and was freshly indented into it.

From this i can see that while installing it a pin got bent and pressed when trying to slide the transmission into place, the throw-out bearing knocked the ring off the other prongs and down into the pressure plate abyss.

From which i can also deduce that what probably happened is that the other pins were not broken to begin with at all and that while being (Slammed / Bent) it snapped off the 2 prongs that were completely gone.

Remember that my clutch has worked from day 1 and a mitshu dealership is the one who installed it, and it happened to be the biggest dealer for evos on the west coast so i HIGHLY doubt they screwed up. let alone it has worked this entire time and if those prongs were broke like they say already the clutch would not have worked at all.

i know i see my mistake now taking it there but as it stands i need a new one, don't know the part number, and didn't know the name of it till i did a ton of research but still can't find a place to get it even though i know its called a wedge collar.

I have attached a photo of exactly what piece i am talking about although this photo is one i pulled off google images of a non-broken one.
dog these guys are idiots.. its not the clutch cover.. all you need to do is call exedy.. talk to tech support... i forgot his name but its like hes the only guy in the dept.. but anyways... its called a retainer clip... jus ask him for one and he ll ship one out to you granted they have them in stock... issue fixed
Old Apr 1, 2010, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly I would have done this job myself its just that I literally have no place to do it and/or no access to lifts now that I can't go to the auto hobby shop on base.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 01:54 PM

Issue resolved with car on the road.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You're on Whidbey? What Evo did you buy?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 03:27 AM

I got it in CA, was stationed many places. but i know the few evo's you are talking about also a few sti's. know a couple of the people who wrecked and or witnessed them being wrecked