Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

K&N filter oil linked to MAF problems?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2003, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N filter oil linked to MAF problems?

Just curious if the oil on the K&N panel filter can cause problems with MAF readings by oil getting onto the sensor in the Evo. Does anyone running a K&N have any problems? Just wondering if the draw of air is sucking the oil into the MAF housing and may disrupt the readings given to the ECU. I know if you over oil it, it can happen, but I'm talking about a brand new filter. I have searched and found other problems like the filter being sucked inward due to the boost pressure and erratic MAF readings on the dyno, so I am reluctant to put it in until I get some feedbac. Thanks for your replies.
Old Nov 8, 2003, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
It's not a problem.
Old Nov 8, 2003, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

I had a K&N on my Audi A4 1.8T and it came overoiled from the factory. It had a noticeable excess of oil. I think it was the cause for a bad MAF in my Audi.

Anyway, I was reluctant to get one for my EVO, but I ended up getting one anyway. This time, I made sure it was not overoiled when I got it. I even ran a clean cloth over it to wipe up any excess, but there wasn't any. I've had it for a few thousand miles and no problems.

As for perf, it makes the blowoff noticeably louder, and it seems to flow better and give slightly better throttle response. Not a huge diff, but others have reported a few HP on the dyno. I read the post about it getting sucked in as well, last I checked, all was fine, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Take care,

FB
Old Nov 8, 2003, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. The reason I ask is I have blown my MAF in my Nissan Altima 3.5 with a AEM cold air intake system. Many people over on the Nissan forums have had the same problem. They have narrowed it down to filter oil on the MAF wire, excessive vibration during WOT and also too much air sucked into the intake. I had to remove the intake to get it covered under warantee or it's a $500 part. I now keep the stock box on the Altima.

I know the EVO MAFs are holding up, haven't heard of any going bad, but was not sure if the oil will be a problem since the filter sits so close to the MAF sensor.
Old Nov 8, 2003, 04:45 PM

i've had the k&n filter for a about 2,000mi now and i have not had any problems. as berkel said throttle response is a little better but not sure of any real power gains.

Last edited by 7seVen7; Nov 9, 2003 at 08:30 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2003, 04:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks. The reason I ask is I have blown my MAF in my Nissan Altima 3.5 with a AEM cold air intake system. Many people over on the Nissan forums have had the same problem.
I use to have to be real careful on my SE-R's not to over oil the K'n N. I nearly ruined my MAF sensor on time because of it, they seem to be pretty sensitive on the Nissans.

Have heard of no such problems on the EVO. I wouldn't know first hand though, because I would not put any inferior aftermarket intake on it, with the possible exception of a Ralliart drop-in. The stock set-up is fine IMO.
Old Nov 8, 2003, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, the MAF and the O2 sensor, annoying devices required by emissions. Drop in a replacement ECU like the Power FC or AEM and you can remove both those disturbances!!

Old Nov 9, 2003, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had a K&N panel filter in my 2000 GT-S and it dirtied the MAF sensor. I removed it twice in 118,000 miles, cleaned it with brake parts cleaner and all was well again.

The MAF sensor on the Celica was right after the airbox so it was prone to it. I don't know how close it is on the Evo yet. Hell, I've not ordered my K&N yet, but will shortly - only had my evo less than two weeks!

Hope this is a solution for folks. I'd taken my car into the dealership to try and diagnose the odd acceleration stumble I was experiencing. Caught a thread on the board about cleaning my MAF, got some brake parts cleaner and BANG! - fixed. Told the service tech about it... all's been well since! ... at least 'til I traded it in for my EVO!

BTW, it wasn't just a spraying exercise, I used a Q-tip VERY delicately on the wire element (VERY fragile!)... just spraying didn't do the job as well.

Last edited by KazzEvo8; Nov 9, 2003 at 12:05 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 08:26 PM

Yes, the K&N oil WILL mess up a hotwire MAF, like Nissan's use. Really bad, actually, don't do it if you have a hotwire MAF.

However, the Mitsu unit is a Karman-Vortex type MAF, and isn't susceptible to oil comtamination.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Hi,

Somewhat of an xpost, but I wanted to get an opinion from the Engine/Turbo/Drivetrain forum as well:

I just installed my Samco hoses, and noticed that there was a fair amt of oil in my MAF and in the MAF pipe. It sure looks like engine oil, but per a search, it must be coming from my K&N filter, which I just cleaned.

So, since the MAF is a Karmann, should I not bother cleaning around the MAF with brake cleaner or the like?

If I should clean it, any tips would be great. I cleaned the MAF in my Audi with some isopropyl alcohol and some qtips, would that be better than a spray cleaner (brake or carb)? I believe the Audi is a hot wire maf though..

Thanks,

FB
Old Aug 27, 2004, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Resurrected from the dead.

Don't clean it. Just wipe down what you can. If it's working fine, don't mess with it. I have my K&N now for over a year and still see some oil in the stock airbox and it's the original oil from when I bought it. They over oil them. Mine probably has oil on it but our type of MAF would not be affected with a little filter oil.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 09:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by berkel
Hi,

Somewhat of an xpost, but I wanted to get an opinion from the Engine/Turbo/Drivetrain forum as well:

I just installed my Samco hoses, and noticed that there was a fair amt of oil in my MAF and in the MAF pipe. It sure looks like engine oil, but per a search, it must be coming from my K&N filter, which I just cleaned.

So, since the MAF is a Karmann, should I not bother cleaning around the MAF with brake cleaner or the like?

If I should clean it, any tips would be great. I cleaned the MAF in my Audi with some isopropyl alcohol and some qtips, would that be better than a spray cleaner (brake or carb)? I believe the Audi is a hot wire maf though..

Thanks,

FB
Just a quick note for you.. The oil on your maf is from the filter, Karmann vortex aren't really a problem if you get the contamination on the plastic housing of the metered portion of the sensor. However, the oil in your MAF pipe was coming from the breather tube to the valve cover.. Everyone gets that, that is definitely engine oil.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Ok,

Thanks for the input fellas. I know it was an old dead thread, but I didn't want to be accused of not STFA

I looked at some of the catch can threads, and I'm gonna do something like that. I just wiped out the MAF and MAF pipe best I could.

Take care,

FB
Old Aug 28, 2004, 09:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

As usual I'll go against the grain. My K&N was drenched in oil right out of the bag... I thought I had removed enough oil as to not cause a problem, however, after a few hundred miles my gas mileage fell off and power was down. I opened up the air box to find drops of oil coating the inside of the box and MAF (in the honeycomb also). I took everything apart and sprayed it all down with brake cleaner. It was like flipping a switch, went back to 17-18 mpg (I have a heavy foot) up from 15-16, and the power was all there...
Old Aug 28, 2004, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Heh,

Well I lied and I also broke out the brake cleaner and sprayed it down some. I'll put it back together tomorrow and see how it goes. While it's apart, I think I'll clean the tb with some cleaner as well. I'm eager to get some sort of catch can setup going, the oil in the maf pipe isn't that encouraging, heh.

I get pretty good mileage (~20) and power is pretty good, but I have had problems with misfires once the car is warm. Swapping out my Denso plugs back to stock helped a lot. I think I fouled the Denso and/or the gap was a little too high. It's much better, but when the car is warm I'll still get a slight hesitation/hiccup around 3500 or 4500 rpm but only sometimes. Usually without a CEL, but it did come on recently. Haven't checked if it's the dreaded P0X or perhaps an inefficient cat cel.

Take care,

FB

Originally Posted by Zeus
As usual I'll go against the grain. My K&N was drenched in oil right out of the bag... I thought I had removed enough oil as to not cause a problem, however, after a few hundred miles my gas mileage fell off and power was down. I opened up the air box to find drops of oil coating the inside of the box and MAF (in the honeycomb also). I took everything apart and sprayed it all down with brake cleaner. It was like flipping a switch, went back to 17-18 mpg (I have a heavy foot) up from 15-16, and the power was all there...

Last edited by berkel; Aug 28, 2004 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: K&N filter oil linked to MAF problems?