Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine Teardown *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Teardown *PICS*

So before I start this motor is in my DSM not an Evo. I just thought you guys would give me some good input and help out.
Okay, so today me and a buddy pulled apart the motor of my 2g auto. This is my first time tearing apart the motor. I was planning on building/ porting my head and leaving the stock bottom end on the car. There is a couple of issues we came across. I found that I have coolant in the oil. The headgasket had no cracks or splits. Could it possibly have lifted? I also found a small curled up piece of metal on the oil pump pick up (pics below). It was only one piece and there was nothing else visible in the engine, which is currently assembled. Im going to talk to the machinist Monday, but I was wondering do I need to resurface my block if I am going to run a MLS. I know alot of people that have and havent, so I thought I would ask If so, what headgasket can I run if I do not resurface it. Also, should I just stop f***ing around and build a 6 bolt block rather than my stock 7bolt block? I currently want to leave the stock block to see how far I can push it before I build another one. Let me know what you guys think.
Sorry about the pics, the flash wasn't working correctly when I took them.

Block pics.

Piece of metal shaving.

Old Apr 17, 2010, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Your cylinder walls are immaculate! How many miles were on it? I'd pull the caps and check all the bearings, if those are good then yea, go for it. I think you can run the SCE ICS Titan gasket without decking the block, but don't quote me on that, I'm just going off MAPerformance's website. Naturally swap in studs if you haven't already.

As for the shavings I have no idea. If you didn't notice any metal missing in the head then I'd say you'll find it taken out of a bearing, so definitely check them.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should definintly get the block decked if you want a good seal.

Finding metal shavings and coolant in the oil are neither good. Dont push your luck and just throw it back in. Tear it down and rebuild it. If you use stock componets its cheap on those motors. Not to mention the peace of mind.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by icantdrive75
Your cylinder walls are immaculate! How many miles were on it? I'd pull the caps and check all the bearings, if those are good then yea, go for it. I think you can run the SCE ICS Titan gasket without decking the block, but don't quote me on that, I'm just going off MAPerformance's website. Naturally swap in studs if you haven't already.
As for the shavings I have no idea. If you didn't notice any metal missing in the head then I'd say you'll find it taken out of a bearing, so definitely check them.
Thanks the motor and car have 53k on it. If I pull off the caps, will that show me enough or will I have to pull the piston and rod out too?

Originally Posted by awd2gen
Finding metal shavings and coolant in the oil are neither good. Dont push your luck and just throw it back in. Tear it down and rebuild it. If you use stock componets its cheap on those motors. Not to mention the peace of mind.
True, but it was 1 metal shaving and the coolant didnt leak in from the headgasket, unless it lifted. It might be from the oil filter cooler. Im not sure yet. Do you think I should just build the motor?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

The bottom caps will be a good indicator. It's kind of a ***** but you can still check the top bearings without pulling the motor out.

What are your goals with the car? 500hp?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 05:08 PM

The bottom caps will be a good indicator. It's kind of a ***** but you can still check the top bearings without pulling the motor out.

What are your goals with the car? 500hp?
The motor is already apart and out of the car. The only things that are still assembles is the crank pistons and rods. My goal is 10's on the stock bottom end.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Well if that's your goal then building the motor kinda ****s that up!! If you wanna use the stock bottom end, but kinda cheat, replace the bearings. You can keep the pistons in the block and do that. It's really easy, just be careful not to let a piston pop out the top(or bottom) while you're doing it. An easy way to separate the rod from the piston, loosen the nuts(or bolts I forget what factory has) and knock them with a hammer(not while the piston it as TDC). Then unbolt the cap, and fenagle the rod and crank around and pop the rod bearing out. You could even pull the crank out, since you'll wanna check those bearings anyway, then you'll have easy access to all the rod bearings.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Up grade to evo pistons/rods. There the same size but they can handle alot more power and you can get them used for 100shipped. Get new piston rings, main and rod bearings, arp main and head studs. For under 400 youll have a block good for 500whp/400wtq. It will still technically be a stock block just evo8 stock block with main studs and bearings.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:03 AM

Well if that's your goal then building the motor kinda ****s that up!! If you wanna use the stock bottom end, but kinda cheat, replace the bearings. You can keep the pistons in the block and do that. It's really easy, just be careful not to let a piston pop out the top(or bottom) while you're doing it. An easy way to separate the rod from the piston, loosen the nuts(or bolts I forget what factory has) and knock them with a hammer(not while the piston it as TDC). Then unbolt the cap, and fenagle the rod and crank around and pop the rod bearing out. You could even pull the crank out, since you'll wanna check those bearings anyway, then you'll have easy access to all the rod bearings.
That's a good idea. I'm still waiting for my head so I need something to do while I'm waiting for that.
Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
Up grade to evo pistons/rods. There the same size but they can handle alot more power and you can get them used for 100shipped. Get new piston rings, main and rod bearings, arp main and head studs. For under 400 youll have a block good for 500whp/400wtq. It will still technically be a stock block just evo8 stock block with main studs and bearings.
I might do this for my next rebuild. I would really like to keep the stock 7 bolt or at least until it blows. That sounds like an affordable rebuild though.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:39 AM
Former Sponsor

It is interesting to see how Mitsu changed the oil pan pickup and the screen there. Good luck!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=awd2gen;8211144]You should definintly get the block decked if you want a good seal.

+1
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by MitsuJoe
It is interesting to see how Mitsu changed the oil pan pickup and the screen there. Good luck!
What does it look like on evo's? and Thanks
Originally Posted by Josh083188
+1
Ill look into getting the block decked if I run a MLS
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:36 PM

Dam bro, i have metal shaving from my transmission the other day, had to send it in to sheps to get rebuilt
Old Apr 19, 2010, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a set of 50,000 mile evo8 pistons and rods in perfect shape. No broken ring lands or anything.

out ready to ship.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bolivian_Evo
Dam bro, i have metal shaving from my transmission the other day, had to send it in to sheps to get rebuilt
Okay, but this was in my motor, not my trans.
Originally Posted by xRoguex
I have a set of 50,000 mile evo8 pistons and rods in perfect shape. No broken ring lands or anything.
out ready to ship.
Im not looking for anything at the current moment, but I will let you know. Thanks