Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New TiAL QR BOV flutter

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pog0
Like I said in a previous post, when I downshift before the turn, partial throttle through the turn... problem occurs.

It happens in ALL gears. I don't think downshifting is a good solution. If other people aren't having this issue, there has to be a different solution.
How many times does Tial have to tell you its not the bov for it to stick in your head haha. You should check intercooler couplers. Mayb one isnt tight enough or on the pipe correctly.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05VIII
How many times does Tial have to tell you its not the bov for it to stick in your head haha. You should check intercooler couplers. Mayb one isnt tight enough or on the pipe correctly.
Well like I said in post 27. I have checked all my clamps. I have even sprayed soapy water on all the connections to see if there is a leak. The connections on the pipes are good. I have pulled on them to make sure they dont budge. Then checked the clamp again.

Until I have time to go to a shop to do a boost leak test which won't be for a while, I am stuck troubleshooting. I wish Tial didn't have a proprietary flange, I cant stick my Works stock modified BOV back on to test.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Well like I said in post 27. I have checked all my clamps. I have even sprayed soapy water on all the connections to see if there is a leak. The connections on the pipes are good. I have pulled on them to make sure they dont budge. Then checked the clamp again.

Until I have time to go to a shop to do a boost leak test which won't be for a while, I am stuck troubleshooting. I wish Tial didn't have a proprietary flange, I cant stick my Works stock modified BOV back on to test.
it's not that something is escaping, it's that MORE air is now being jammed into the engine at part throttle because the bov doesn't leak anymore.

the stock BV leaks, and when it does some of the air is recirculated from the charge pipe back to the intake in a circle so you are not getting all the lb/min or CFM the turbo is pumping out. adding our bov, or any other bov that doesn't leak, or not having a bov at all will all yield the same results.

get a larger comp cover, use more throttle, change cams, or upgrade the turbo are about the only ways to get rid of it
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TiALSport
get a larger comp cover, use more throttle, change cams, or upgrade the turbo are about the only ways to get rid of it
Well that answers my question...thanks Tial!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Have you been down the "it might be the tune" causing the issue? Just wondering if you've done any logging and examined parameters where you're seeing the condition. It seems strange that the condition occurs in all gears. I had a similar issue as yours. On my previous setup the injector scaling was a little too low. Once adjusted properly, no more bucking/stuttering.

TiALSport wrote "use more throttle" - maybe he's saying you might need to add more fuel... I'm wondering what your AFRs look like when you experience the condition.

I'm absolutely no expert, but I think you should consider other possible causes.

Do you have an aftermarket tune?

Last edited by churchja; Apr 22, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I am basically at the end of minor bolt ons. Upgrade that is left is a turbo which is out of my price range at the moment. Ported intake manifold, tb, exhaust manifold, hot side. ETS FMIC and pipes. Cosworth M2s, FIC 1050s, E85 tune at 28 PSI.

Since it is a recirculating BOV, I wouldnt suspect the tune. I even tried down shifting and it still happens. I can go WOT and it's perfect and the car moves, but I am not trying to drive around at WOT ALLLLLL the time... That's ridiculous.

Tial,

I know you say this isnt the issue, but is there a way I can trade out springs with you guys to the unpainted 10 psi spring for the QR?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ravnos04
Well that answers my question...thanks Tial!
i've heard FP actually offers a ported shroud cover for the stock IX turbo because of the surge issues, you could look into that!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

I am basically at the end of minor bolt ons. Upgrade that is left is a turbo which is out of my price range at the moment. Ported intake manifold, tb, exhaust manifold, hot side. ETS FMIC and pipes. Cosworth M2s, FIC 1050s, E85 tune at 28 PSI.

Since it is a recirculating BOV, I wouldnt suspect the tune. I even tried down shifting and it still happens. I can go WOT and it's perfect and the car moves, but I am not trying to drive around at WOT ALLLLLL the time... That's ridiculous.

Tial,

I know you say this isnt the issue, but is there a way I can trade out springs with you guys to the unpainted 10 psi spring for the QR?
you can if you like, but the valve will shut under 20 in/hg vs under 22in/hg which you should be way under if you are on moderate throttle.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own a Tial Q, a handful of metal IX dvs and the synchronic. The only BOV that holds 30+psi for me and feels CLOSE to the stock dv on the freeway is the synchronic. I'm still holding on to the Tial though because if I ever get a large turbo I'll run that. With the small, spikey turbo like stock, bbk, etc theyre all going to act like this.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TiALSport
i've heard FP actually offers a ported shroud cover for the stock IX turbo because of the surge issues, you could look into that!
Only for stock turbo upgrades - Green, Red, BBK.

This sucks because I shelled out $300 on the BOV and labor to get the flange welded and I can't even drive my car without being frustrated.

I wonder if an FP Green would resolve my situation, even though I want a BBK, it is the cheapest.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to insult but many times its the driver.

I've let my friends drive my car and they can get the BOV to flutter like crazy because they cant keep the throttle steady if their life depended on it. Most can't even stay a steady speed. Me on the other hand can keep the throttle very steady and ride the same speed no matter what.

You might just need to steady your foot more when driving, if the throttle is being moved a lot it will make the bucking WAY more noticeable. If its in all gears and all rpm's it could be a tuning issue as far as the bucking goes.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline

I've let my friends drive my car and they can get the BOV to flutter like crazy because they cant keep the throttle steady if their life depended on it. Most can't even stay a steady speed. Me on the other hand can keep the throttle very steady and ride the same speed no matter what.

You might just need to steady your foot more when driving, if the throttle is being moved a lot it will make the bucking WAY more noticeable. If its in all gears and all rpm's it could be a tuning issue as far as the bucking goes.
Thats true to an extent, you can drive in a way to avoid flutter and surging, but you shouldn't have to. The car doesn't do it stock (for the reasons tial stated), and any mildly modded car should behave and drive like an OE meant it to, just faster and sharper.

OP, what are you using for boost control? If you have are using a stock working boost control solenoid (AEM, GM, etc...) you should be able to do load and or gear based boost tuning, which could mitigate your problem, other than that, get a bigger turbo.

P.S. I have the EXACT same problem, but mine will hit 15-20psi and start doing it, any gear, if I try to hold it at ~40% throttle. My only options are to accelerate slower, or a **** load faster, kinda like all or nothing.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
Thats true to an extent, you can drive in a way to avoid flutter and surging, but you shouldn't have to. The car doesn't do it stock (for the reasons tial stated), and any mildly modded car should behave and drive like an OE meant it to, just faster and sharper.

OP, what are you using for boost control? If you have are using a stock working boost control solenoid (AEM, GM, etc...) you should be able to do load and or gear based boost tuning, which could mitigate your problem, other than that, get a bigger turbo.

P.S. I have the EXACT same problem, but mine will hit 15-20psi and start doing it, any gear, if I try to hold it at ~40% throttle. My only options are to accelerate slower, or a **** load faster, kinda like all or nothing.
Trust me... It aint me. I never had a problem like this at all driving any of my other turbo cars in the past.

Forsaken,

I am running a GM 3 port. I ventured into self tuning, BUT it took too much of my time and living in SoCal... The law is a *****.

And for your problem, I can say mine is the same thing. WOT, the car pulls like hell and is awesome. At low throttle, little to no boost, it doesn't happen.

I guess I will have to venture into a slightly bigger turbo, sucks that I have to drive around like this until that day happens.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:28 PM
.MM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline

its not the driver

i have the same issue as the OP with my Tial Alpha Q...if i try to hold like 10+psi at partial boost/throttle acceleration and not go WOT...i get the same exact fluttering.

oh and btw...i have an FP Red with Cossy cams and other mods...didnt do it until i installed the tial. My VTA 50mm tial was no worse than this Alpha Q...

I bought the alpha Q thinking it would reduce the flutter, being that it recirculates and it BARELY helped...
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by .MM
its not the driver

i have the same issue as the OP with my Tial Alpha Q...if i try to hold like 10+psi at partial boost/throttle acceleration and not go WOT...i get the same exact fluttering.

oh and btw...i have an FP Red with Cossy cams and other mods...didnt do it until i installed the tial. My VTA 50mm tial was no worse than this Alpha Q...

I bought the alpha Q thinking it would reduce the flutter, being that it recirculates and it BARELY helped...
That's ridiculous... I wonder what other people are using for BOVs that race and/or dd their car.

I guess their BOVs should only be used in race applications?

Quick Reply: New TiAL QR BOV flutter