Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Too much crank case psi! Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much crank case psi! Any ideas?

Well Just got the project done and tuned making 520whp on 93 oct. But I started to get an oil leak and by mistake did not tie down the dip stick and it shot out along with a quart of oil. Im just wondering if this is normal or is the pcv valve bad or what? this motor is brand new and fully built! So everything is mostly new. I just dont think its normal. Thanks, Mike
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you feeding the PCV hose back into the intake. If not that is where I would start.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:59 PM

which hose the one on the back left of valve cover or the one front right on valve cover? I have a filter on the front right one cause its actually sucking in air....
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
positive crankcase pressure is due to blow by from the cylinders/piston rings.

somhow recirculate your system with a catch can, make sure if you still have PVC valves ensur they are working and if you eliminated them ensure the system is being recirculated.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVIL-EVO-8
which hose the one on the back left of valve cover or the one front right on valve cover? I have a filter on the front right one cause its actually sucking in air....
the hose in the front the one that comes connected to the intake from factory actually vents does not suck air, get you a catch can and recirculate the system.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

If you shot your dipstick out along with 1qt of oil something is very wrong, that's a LOT of crankcase pressure. So something is presurizing your crankcase, there are two things that build pressure in your engine:

Combustion Chambers
Turbo

Since the shortblock is new you probably aren't getting excessive blowby on your rings, cause it would need to be a lot of blowby to cause your problem. However if you re-used your PCV valve that could be the issue. The PCV valve could be stuck and allowing the turbo to pressurize your crankcase.

PCV valve is easy to check, take off the vacumme hose, unscrew the valve, hold it next to your ear and shake it. You should hear the check ball bouncing around in there. If not, then it's broke, get another one. If you do hear the ball do one more check (have a beer ready to wash your mouth out after this. Put the PCV valve to your mouth and blow into it where the vacumme hose goes. You shouldn't be able to blow at all, it should be like tring to blow through a clogged hose. If you can blow through it, it's broke, get another.

If the PCV valve checks out then you need to look elsewhere, something is leaking pressurized air into your crankcase. If you have a compression gauge I would do a full compression test (plus it's good to have baseline numbers on a new motor anyhow).

Lastly, you didn't overfill your engine with too much oil did you? Cause that will cause issues...
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:08 PM
Account Disabled

you dont have to go through all that to check to PVC valve, ,,, 1, start the engine 2, pull the vacume hose from the intake mani side 3, plug the intake side with a rubber cap so the car doesnt stall 4, and put your finger on the hose on and off you should hear the valve clicking

i think the OP built his engine, so there could be ring allignment issues, and what not,,, not being negative BUT !!

Originally Posted by dyezak
If you shot your dipstick out along with 1qt of oil something is very wrong, that's a LOT of crankcase pressure. So something is presurizing your crankcase, there are two things that build pressure in your engine:

Combustion Chambers
Turbo

Since the shortblock is new you probably aren't getting excessive blowby on your rings, cause it would need to be a lot of blowby to cause your problem. However if you re-used your PCV valve that could be the issue. The PCV valve could be stuck and allowing the turbo to pressurize your crankcase.

PCV valve is easy to check, take off the vacumme hose, unscrew the valve, hold it next to your ear and shake it. You should hear the check ball bouncing around in there. If not, then it's broke, get another one. If you do hear the ball do one more check (have a beer ready to wash your mouth out after this. Put the PCV valve to your mouth and blow into it where the vacumme hose goes. You shouldn't be able to blow at all, it should be like tring to blow through a clogged hose. If you can blow through it, it's broke, get another.

If the PCV valve checks out then you need to look elsewhere, something is leaking pressurized air into your crankcase. If you have a compression gauge I would do a full compression test (plus it's good to have baseline numbers on a new motor anyhow).

Lastly, you didn't overfill your engine with too much oil did you? Cause that will cause issues...
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:17 PM

This happened before I got the new motor. so im willing to bet its the valve. why the hell would the valve cover vent be sucking in air tho?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVIL-EVO-8
This happened before I got the new motor. so im willing to bet its the valve. why the hell would the valve cover vent be sucking in air tho?

why do you say the VC is sucking air ???
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
you dont have to go through all that to check to PVC valve, ,,, 1, start the engine 2, pull the vacume hose from the intake mani side 3, plug the intake side with a rubber cap so the car doesnt stall 4, and put your finger on the hose on and off you should hear the valve clicking

i think the OP built his engine, so there could be ring allignment issues, and what not,,, not being negative BUT !!
Ring alignment may cause some blowby...but I doubt it would be enough to blow the dipstick and 1qt of oil out. Now, if the pistons were borematched by the machinist and the assembly didn't follow the machinists directions then I could see a really loose piston (or 2 ) *might* do this.

I personally had this issue on one of my stock shortblocks right after I cracked the ringlands but before the piston let go. If I put it on the 2 step with the hood up I could have shot the dipstick out like a mortor . But I don't think it's his shortblock, unless it was tuned poorly and has been detonating and cracked the ringlands on one piston like mine did.

Just get a new PCV valve, $14 is cheap and you don't want to run a gummed up one anyhow.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

it happends to my car also best way to fix it is zip ties
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buschur sells dipstick tiedown springs for a reason... it's normal. You may have a problem so it's worth double checking your breathing system, but most likely, everything is ok.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Just recirulate your breather hose as mentioned, if your PCV valve is still OK.

Under boost, the only vent the valve cover has is the breather hose. If connected to the intake pipe (or through a catch can to the intake pipe), the vacuum created by the turbo helps scavenge the excess pressure built up in the crankcase due to loose fitting pistons, etc.

Otherwise, if you don't want to recirc your breather hose, then you need bigger vents on your crankcase.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even on a brand spanking new EVO if you pinch the hose that runs from the VC to the intake pipe you will probably blow the DS out.

If you put a filter on the VC breather and left it like that odds are its not enough of a vent for your system. Running a hose from there back to the intake pipe will sucks the pressure out of the system just as it was designed to do.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

whan i bought my evo i was told that the dipstick would blow out when i had the meth on but it shouldnt with out the meth ...not sure why, a big *** zip tie stopped it.

Quick Reply: Too much crank case psi! Any ideas?