Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin Scroll Turbos?? Monster Spool.. FACT or FICTION???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Last edited by Strm Trpr; Feb 19, 2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Strm Trpr, your post is hard to follow. I think we are on the same thought process though.

TS works but there is a lack of data IN THIS COMMUNITY to show it. Lots of opinion, but no good data.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 05:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
And that's not because no here wants to generate it, it's just that the data that would best illustrate it isn't something easily resolved via the traditional methods.

BTW, BMW has dropped the twin turbo setup on their N54 to a single twinscroll turbo. TS is definitely becoming more popular.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Last edited by Strm Trpr; Feb 19, 2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont get why you guys dont just use the same TS Manifold. It is seperated until turbine housing but it merges there. Use an open housing and a twin scroll on the same mani and let it eat.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The R&D on this is best left to professionals, my gut tells me twinscroll should be better for transient response. Although single scroll is a paper winner at the moment. Kinda of the same argument on usable horsepower and when and how it is delivered in application.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kasaper
The R&D on this is best left to professionals
I don't keep up here much anymore. The last I knew however. The so called "professionals" haven't done any R&D or ever produced any solid data endorsing their marketing campaign. I'd bet more research went into how to market their new product than the actual development of it. Reminds of some of the crap you see for sale on late night TV or the Home Shopping Network.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ronshearer
I don't keep up here much anymore. The last I knew however. The so called "professionals" haven't done any R&D or ever produced any solid data endorsing their marketing campaign. I'd bet more research went into how to market their new product than the actual development of it. Reminds of some of the crap you see for sale on late night TV or the Home Shopping Network.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Marketing vs Research always a real disconnect there!! LOL!! By the way I like some of that useless crap they only sell on late nite!! I still have some FLOBEE's brand new in the box from the 80's!!! LOL!!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

I've always wondered this as well nice results
Old Dec 2, 2010, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

Last edited by Strm Trpr; Feb 19, 2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 05:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Strm Trpr
The following comparison would have been perfect if they had used the SS T4 .68 A/R housing instead.
Based from the TS A/R *0.6 = SS A/R, wouldn't the TS A/R need to be 1.42 A/R when compared to the SS .85 A/R?
Or am I way off on this?
1.06 * 0.6 = 0.64 , so it's correct.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Another excellent test would be to take Dorifto's Evo and slap a SS T3 .63 on it and see how it compares to the TS T3 1.06.

Then slap a SS T3 .82 on it and see what it does.

Originally Posted by Drifto
Mods
FP HTA3076
AMS VSR
MIL SPEC ported TB
GReddy Titanium ex
Headway Performance CNC'd head w/ supertech stock diam valves
Kiggly Racing Valve springs and retainers
Kiggly Racing HLA pressure regulator
Comp280s -2int -2ex
MAPerformance Ultimate connecting rods
ACL Race bearings coated by MAPerformance
Wiseco STD bore pistons Stock comp.
MPFab TS turbo kit
MPFab Intercooler and plumbing
-8 Fuel lines w/ Aeromotive Reg
ATP Fuel Rail
FIC1450's
Walbro 255hp intank w/ inline Bosch 044
Stock ECU/MAF tuned by me
Engine built by me (So far so good)

Couldn't be happier with the set up. Absolutley glad I decided to stick with the GT3076 and have FP upgrade it for me to the HTA version. This to me is the very definition of awesome street car power. Thing absolutely rips.

Old Dec 8, 2010, 07:13 PM

Sorry I had chime in here about the twinscroll setups. I recently was able to play with someone's setup using speed density.
I know that off the line, from what I've felt, the twinscroll setups I've driven build spool a bit earlier in the low revs. I've seen a 40r build a few psi with a crack of the throttle for example.
But still, it spooled 5.5k to full boost in 3rd, which is not super impressive. But the car didn't feel like it had a big turbo at the lower speeds, so I think at low throttle angles the twinscroll shines and makes the big turbos feel streetable. But full spool still came on pretty late, but the car felt a lot more linear. I think that a test on the street with logs and throttle angles will show the benefit. But then I don't have comparison logs to show for. But I suspect that for drag racing and most street racing, twinscroll don't have the value that people are looking for, primarily beating the other car. But for some money, it does seem to have a benefit at lower speeds.

Last edited by reid-o; Dec 8, 2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

I have had both twin scroll and single scroll, in the absence of any solid data I had to make my choices based on what I could deduce from the haphazard results...

I'm currently on a SS T3 .63 on a 2.3L 4G63

and I would venture to say that it would take a TS T3 1.06 to match the HP output of the SS T3 .63 still on my T3 TS headers...

and the transient response of the T3 .63 is pretty good, I don’t believe a T3 1.06 on the same manifold can spool any quicker or offer significantly better transient response, or make any more power...

Well at least that’s the conclusion I came to after playing with this stuff for the last 3 years... Initially I thought that a TS T3 .78 was equivalent to the T3 .63 but I'm not so sure anymore...

If I had to choose between a HTA35R with a T3 .63 or a TS T3 1.06 I would choose the T3 .63 given my experience I feel you trade top end power for low end and transient response with a Twin Scroll...

regards
Sal

Quick Reply: Twin Scroll Turbos?? Monster Spool.. FACT or FICTION???