Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin Scroll Turbos?? Monster Spool.. FACT or FICTION???

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2010, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me just throw this out here.

Would those of you TS knowledge people say that T4 TS for a HTA86 would be better then T3 TS same turbo and what would the differences be between the two?
Old May 2, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
FYI - Too many differences between those two cars to draw a realistic comparison. Trying to compare two different cars with different equipment causes confusion.

You can't do it. It doesn't work.
so you are saying there will never be a conclusive test? what kind of test do you suggest?

That comparison is the best I can find, the car with the Full-Race kit should be way better. The other car is running less boost and cams that hurt spool.

how about this one: yes it is impressive that the turbo with T4 1.06 AR spools really close to the .63 AR Tial. But the TS kit is choking a little up top.

I have a sponsorship for a Twin Scroll setup for my Suby, I just want to make sure that it is the right decision .

Originally Posted by TopSpeed
This test was done on two separate cars but with the same mods minus the header and turbo kit they were running. So while not apples to apples its a really close comparison.

Both cars had Perrin FMIC, 3" Turbo back exhaust, 850cc injectors, fuel rails, with stock heads and cams.

Both cars tested were also run on Shell 93oct and boost for both runs was kept the same at 21psi.

Run #41 was with Full-Race's full twin scroll turbo kit. Running the HTA35r, t4 turbine 1.06ar housing . This twin scroll kit does seem to spool up a bit faster but on the street the differences are less noticeable. We also noticed that with the FR kit the power started to fall off pretty good above 6k rpms. Our best guess is that the power loss up top is caused by the small primaries in the full race header.

Overall we were expecting huge things from this kit but feel a little let down. Power aside the fitment of this turbo kit required major work to get it to clear both the firewall and frame rails.

Run #09 was a standard GT35 rotated turbo kit with a tial V-band .63ar turbine housing. It shows to spool a tad bit slower but there is no power loss in the upper rpms. This turbo kit was a one off built for a customer as he wanted an exact copy of what we have run all year in our time attack car.

AMS however has just released their rotated turbo kits running the tial v-band housings. We are hoping to now use the AMS kit instead of building the one offs we had in the past. I would expect AMS's new turbo kit to perform very similar as the ones we built, but with that rock hard AMS reliability and warranty. Here shortly I will have an AMS turbo kit for testing and will be installing it on my personal 08sti. I will start a new thread with pictures and dyno results when I do so.

Douglas Wilks
TopSpeed Inc.
Originally Posted by TopSpeed
Here are the plots of boost vs Rpm for both turbo kits.

Blue line is Full-Race Twin Scroll HTA35r

Red is STD GT35r with Tial turbine housing.

Last edited by juanmedina; May 2, 2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by project_skyline
Let me just throw this out here.

Would those of you TS knowledge people say that T4 TS for a HTA86 would be better then T3 TS same turbo and what would the differences be between the two?

Obviously, the 1.06 A/R T4 for that turbo is a larger housing than a 1.06 A/R T3. For a turbo with the power capacity of the HTA3586, it wouldn't really make much sense to use a divided T3. On the other hand, if you haven't seen what Drifto's car does with an HTA3076R and 1.06 A/R divided T3, that's a different story.

Basically, it's about matching the turbo and power expectations to the turbine housing. A 1.06 A/R divided T3 is probably suitable for 600whp tops. We've seen 750+ with divided 1.06 A/R T4s.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by juanmedina
so you are saying there will never be a conclusive? what kind of test do you suggest?
There are too many variables between two different cars to make a scientific comparison, and that's what everyone is looking for. Heck, even as much as 1-2 degrees of ignition advance in the tune between two different cars (and you KNOW it's in there) would make a difference all else being equal, and all else is far from equal between the aforementioned examples.

For a test to give reliable results, it really must be the same car.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You could use the same ts t4 manifold for both tests and just do a open t4 smaller a/r. Using the 0.6:1 ratio for SS:TS would equal a .68 t4 as the closest match. There are tons of turbo you could get both turbines to fit on with the same outlet flange and location of all parts. The only change would be the turbine housing. It doesnt matter what the turbo is as the comparo would be between the same turbo with the turbine housing as the only variable.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

I am not one of those smart TS guys but I have a T4 TS HTA 3586 that I plan on putting on in the next few weeks. It has the 1.00 hotside, Jason (bigric09) has a T3 TS HTA 3586 with a 1.06 hotside on it now and we have very similar builds. We want to see how they do back to back but we also realize that they are 2 different cars so it will never be an exact comparison.

Josh
Old May 2, 2010, 07:05 PM
EvoM Guru

I seem to recall some having issues with the casting quality and/or precision of that 1.00 T4 housing. Just a 'heads up'.
Old May 2, 2010, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

I seem to recall some having issues with the casting quality and/or precision of that 1.00 T4 housing. Just a 'heads up'.
Thanks for the heads up. It has already been ported and cleaned up. Maybe someone could send me a T4 Open Volute hotside and I could test the differences out once it's done getting tuned. If anyone has one for this turbo (FP HTA3586) then I would be willing to test it and see the differences and send it back.

Josh
Old May 2, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by juanmedina
so you are saying there will never be a conclusive test? what kind of test do you suggest?

That comparison is the best I can find, the car with the Full-Race kit should be way better. The other car is running less boost and cams that hurt spool.

how about this one: yes it is impressive that the turbo with T4 1.06 AR spools really close to the .63 AR Tial. But the TS kit is choking a little up top.

I have a sponsorship for a Twin Scroll setup for my Suby, I just want to make sure that it is the right decision .
i would take that with a grain of salt. hta's just plain dont help on sti's. i remember one guy running a hta with more mods than my standard 35r and i made more power and spooled a touch faster.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Obviously, the 1.06 A/R T4 for that turbo is a larger housing than a 1.06 A/R T3. For a turbo with the power capacity of the HTA3586, it wouldn't really make much sense to use a divided T3. On the other hand, if you haven't seen what Drifto's car does with an HTA3076R and 1.06 A/R divided T3, that's a different story.

Basically, it's about matching the turbo and power expectations to the turbine housing. A 1.06 A/R divided T3 is probably suitable for 600whp tops. We've seen 750+ with divided 1.06 A/R T4s.
So there is no reason to do T3 over T4. I'm looking for something that will work good for drag racing but also perform on the street and around the track.

I think I have made my decision, now just to find someone who can do it for me.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:31 PM
EvoM Guru

So there is no reason to do T3 over T4. I'm looking for something that will work good for drag racing but also perform on the street and around the track.
Well, that depends. The same T3 and T4 housings fit GT35R, HTA3582, and HTA3586, but the difference in power potential between a GT35R and HTA3586 is close to 200whp! Which housing is most suitable depends on the turbo, fuel, usage, etc.

I could see a 1.06 divided T3 for maybe a GT35R used with pump fuel only. Anything larger or where >600whp is desired is really T4 territory where divided housings are concerned.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

I think I have made my decision, now just to find someone who can do it for me.
get ready for some heavy porting if you get the atp 1.06 t4 housing. its still the best option as far as i know.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:38 PM
EvoM Guru

What's the scoop on that particular housing?
Old May 2, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

What's the scoop on that particular housing?
atp makes it, not garrett. its a pretty poor quality casting. the flanges dont even line up well.

edit: here is a pic evodan posted of his.

Name:  fullraceportedmanipics022.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  191.1 KB

Last edited by n2oiroc; May 2, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old May 2, 2010, 08:41 PM
EvoM Guru

I gasket matched mine, which needed a cleanup there. As far as looking down the throat itself, I didn't see anything unusual. What I couldn't check recently (due to a stubborn bolt and lack of sufficient time) was how the interior exit path looked.

Quick Reply: Twin Scroll Turbos?? Monster Spool.. FACT or FICTION???