Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problem with clutch or transmission

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Problem with clutch or transmission

Hi!
I have 05 EVO. Some time ago I noticed that when cruising on 3rd, 4th or 5th gear I hit gas pedal, my rpm goes up (like normal) and then in 1 sec it goes down by 900 rpm and from that car was accelerating normally. No CEL or any other lights. I thought that my clutch was slipping, so I ordered whole new set (clutch, flywheel, pressure plate). When I took the clutch plate out, i noticed that it is still good (about 60% left). I didn't finish putting the new one yet, because I am confused. What might caused that rpm problem. Could it be caused by bad pressure plate??? Or maybe my tranny or transfer case is messed up??? Please help!!!
Old May 7, 2010, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old May 7, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dvd_mi
Hi!
I have 05 EVO. Some time ago I noticed that when cruising on 3rd, 4th or 5th gear I hit gas pedal, my rpm goes up (like normal) and then in 1 sec it goes down by 900 rpm and from that car was accelerating normally. No CEL or any other lights. I thought that my clutch was slipping, so I ordered whole new set (clutch, flywheel, pressure plate). When I took the clutch plate out, i noticed that it is still good (about 60% left). I didn't finish putting the new one yet, because I am confused. What might caused that rpm problem. Could it be caused by bad pressure plate??? Or maybe my tranny or transfer case is messed up??? Please help!!!
Your clutch is slipping possible due to bad pressure plate or weak clutch master or slave. Check if it is releasing all the way.
Old May 7, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your clutch could have plenty of thickness left to it but if the material is glazed or has been over heated then it still would not grip and would allow some slippage. The stock pressure plate is very soft so it doesn't take much to allow it to slip. I hope this helps

Josh
Old May 7, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would continue installing your new clutch. Your old clutch is shot.

Once the RPM's fluctuate like that - it's the tell tale sign your clutch is on its way out.

-Bink
Old May 7, 2010, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. I was suspecting that pressure plate was bad. But i was also afraid about bad tranny or transfer case. I should be done with the clutch tomorrow, so I'll post what is going on.

Last edited by dvd_mi; May 7, 2010 at 07:10 AM.