Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3+hta gt35r .63a/r (exhaust)=fast spool?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3+hta gt35r .63a/r (exhaust)=fast spool?

Hey guys I'm planing on getting buschur 2.3, and their stage 3 head but unfortunately I have RnR gt35r kit I bought from a friend. It has (I think) the .63 exhaust a/r housing or .68 hard to read and i'd like to send it in to forced performance to get the hta treatment. Anyways what do you guys think with the 2.3 and hta that the turbo will be bulding boost and hit full boost? I've tried doing research but can't find anything. Is the .63 a/r a better one for stroked 4g63's than the .82? I thought maybe it would be because I won't be reving past 8500 am i wrong?? Where does the .63 run out of "efficency" thanks for reading

Old May 9, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well one thing is yes the .63a/r is definitely better matched for a stroker motor because you wont be revving much past 8k anyway, the .82 a/r is better suited to a motor that will rev out more. The trade off of the .82 is that it will make more top end and spool a little slower and the .63 will help spool up/midrange power.
Old May 9, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Well one thing is yes the .63a/r is definitely better matched for a stroker motor because you wont be revving much past 8k anyway, the .82 a/r is better suited to a motor that will rev out more. The trade off of the .82 is that it will make more top end and spool a little slower and the .63 will help spool up/midrange power.
Its not so much a matter of how high he will be revving, but the airflow that will be moving through the housing.

I would not use the .63, but instead switch to a .82 housing. You may not be revving that high, but you will see slightly slower spooling and much greater power potential. The HTA compressor matched with a 2.3 will definitely benefit from the larger housing. If you arent pushing the turbo hard enough to need the larger housing, you definitely dont need the HTA compressor.
Old May 9, 2010, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
they talk about diff turbo setups and spool in this thread, check it out.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...uys-happy.html
Old May 9, 2010, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No I know its not revving that has anything to do with it, Im just saying that the .63 is good for a lower revving motor because if you used the .63 on, lets say, a built 2.0 (that likes to rev over 9k) youd hurt for power in comparison to a .83 on a 2.0. If you used the .83 on the stroker motor, youd spool later and you wouldnt be able to use the free-er flow of the .82 because youd be stopped short by your 8k rev limit.
Old May 10, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
No I know its not revving that has anything to do with it, Im just saying that the .63 is good for a lower revving motor because if you used the .63 on, lets say, a built 2.0 (that likes to rev over 9k) youd hurt for power in comparison to a .83 on a 2.0. If you used the .83 on the stroker motor, youd spool later and you wouldnt be able to use the free-er flow of the .82 because youd be stopped short by your 8k rev limit.
Even with an 8k rev limit, he can still make full use of the .82 housing without any trouble. With the addition of an HTA compressor, he would definitely want the larger housing to gain max benefit.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been on 2.4l / HTA3582 with an AMS turbo kit with .63 A/R housing and have liked it. The thing is, I've not tried a bigger housing so don't know what it would be like. I probably would have tried it but I can't because the 5 bolt ford style turbine housing AMS uses doesn't come in anything larger.

I make 30 psi at 4500 rpm in 4th gear, and AFAIK most 2l / 35R setups make 30 psi around 5200 rpm in 4th gear.

Also, when I switched from normal 35R to HTA, I didn't notice a difference, but, maybe there was one and I didn't notice it. But if you were to try to search around for concrete evidence of normal 35R versus HTA 35R you might be hard pressed to find it.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW - i run a 2.0L and i tested my old non-hta 35r .63 housing vs my new 6262 .82 housing and suprisingly i ended up w/ better spool and more power up top

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...highlight=6262
Old May 10, 2010, 05:01 PM

thanks guys for all of your responses. I have considered switching to the 6262....but i already have the 35r and haven't even installed it yet (due to $ ) So what I'll probally do is run the 35 and see how I like it than once I want more power than I'll make the switch. It's intersting to see how some people running the 2.3 and 35r then doing the hta conversion didnt really see a difference....that makes me not want to spend the $600. I really just want a responsive fast spooling 35r evo and I figured I had a good start so keep the opinions and responses coming thanks

Old May 11, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
I would not use the .63, but instead switch to a .82 housing. You may not be revving that high, but you will see slightly slower spooling and much greater power potential. The HTA compressor matched with a 2.3 will definitely benefit from the larger housing. If you arent pushing the turbo hard enough to need the larger housing, you definitely dont need the HTA compressor.
Whats your opinion on the FP Red and FP Black both those turbos use HTA wheels in a smaller turbine housing than a .63 yet every man and his dog says they are perfect match for a stroker set-up...

Old May 11, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by supersal
Whats your opinion on the FP Red and FP Black both those turbos use HTA wheels in a smaller turbine housing than a .63 yet every man and his dog says they are perfect match for a stroker set-up...

I dont know what a/r housing is used, but remember its also modified to accept a larger turbine wheel. That helps with the extra flow of the HTA compressor.

The 2.3 will spool a Red or Black very quickly, but that becomes inefficient at higher revs. Backpressure can rise exponentially as boost rises linearly due to the restriction pre-turbo. Keep that in mind when you remember how much boost is run with those turbos to make big power.

The stock 9 turbo is right about .75 a/r, but remember its a ratio, not a absolute number.
Old May 11, 2010, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

I just got my 2.3L and I'm on a FP RED, thinking of going to a 35R or equivalent. I'll let you guys know how it runs when I get everything in and get it tuned in a few weeks
Old May 12, 2010, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
I dont know what a/r housing is used, but remember its also modified to accept a larger turbine wheel. That helps with the extra flow of the HTA compressor.

The 2.3 will spool a Red or Black very quickly, but that becomes inefficient at higher revs. Backpressure can rise exponentially as boost rises linearly due to the restriction pre-turbo. Keep that in mind when you remember how much boost is run with those turbos to make big power.

The stock 9 turbo is right about .75 a/r, but remember its a ratio, not a absolute number.
Cool, agree with you - its a small twin scroll housing - frame size equivalent to a T25 not a T3... The bigger exhaust wheel can support a higher pressure ratio.

T3 .63 can support more HP than a twin scroll T3 .78 housing...

Point of a small turbine is that it will make the big compressor spool fast and hard, downside like you said is it will choake above 600HP and you got ta boost the hell out of it to get there with proper fuel...

Old May 12, 2010, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

2.3-FP Red or Black
2.0-2.2-3076 and up

my 2cents
Old May 14, 2010, 12:10 PM

ttt

Quick Reply: 2.3+hta gt35r .63a/r (exhaust)=fast spool?