Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

e85 or meth ??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockmanX
smells extremely sweet almost like pancake syrup. its acutally a nice smell i got to smell some when i was at JMS i wondered as well lol. Also i thought 93oct and 10:1 compression was not good at all
Well David said it would be fine on my 91oct, I'm sure at substantially less boost then running e85 though lol
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doyle4281
I wish I could find E85 in jersey
See my previous post. 2 stations in NJ sell it at the pump. Only 2, but it's a start
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
There are two huge drawbacks to using E85.

One is its a race gas by definition of availability. For most they dont even have a local pump. And even if you do its a pain in the **** for a street car to have to get gas at same one, two or three locations. Even if you had five locations near it would still be a pain in my book. This problem is compounded by fact number two. Your 14 gallon tank effectively shrinks to 10 gallons when running E85. A 10 gallon tank is extremely small tank for street car. especially when its impossible to stay out of throttle when running the delectable fuel. very easy to find you need a refill at just 100 miles travel.

Map switching back and forth between two fuels is a bad joke as well. You really need to empty tank completely when switching from one fuel to another. and that is a huge royal PITA. make no mistake.

I would say those pushing E85 must not drive their car daily or lucky enough to have pump within 5 minute drive. wish it were more practical but it simply is not.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just get a dual map and tune it for 93oct/met and the other map on E85
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:58 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with E85 availability being an issue sometimes. My solution was to get two 5 gallon gas tanks to fill up every now and then so i dont have to drive out of my way to get gas all the time.

A dual map would only be useful if youre going on a road trip and you arent sure where your next e85 station will be. In that case, I would drain my tank of e85 before I left, switch to my pump gas map, and fill with 91/93 and be about my merry way.

E85 is way safer than methanol and its constantly there. It burns cleaner, cleans your fuel system, runs cooler, helps with turbo spool, and is very cheap. Around here it's only 1.80 a gallon.. Pretty nice considering 93 is like $3.00 a gallon.

Ill never even consider meth injection. To me, buying a set of big injectors was much better than buying a meth kit.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

I've done both and I can say to keep it simple is something that I've learned over the years.

Meth was cool and I gained a good chunk of hp off of the kit, but the install, tapping into your IM or ICP and finding what best ratio of water/meth works best on your car and the right nozzle and mounting a pump and reservoir was not a good time for me.

On top of that, e85 is consistant and meth is not (in terms of having to mix it, making sure you don't run out, if it's a Hobbs switch setup when it's going to come on the first time since letting it sit for a while, etc). You can buy a progressie kit that will be much better than a Hobbs switch kit, but for the price why not get some bigger injectors and be done with it?

I would only reccomend meth over e85 when someone has to drive 4 hours to the closest e85 pump.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evobros
just get a dual map and tune it for 93oct/met and the other map on E85
That would be the best thing to do. If I was going on a trip though I'd probably want to run pump and not get even crappier gas mileage with e85. E85+evo=too much fun=7mpg lol
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E98 ftw
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

If you have pumps close to you then its NOT a pain in the *** to run race fuel for regular pump price.

Oh yeah @ rock for the question about high compression and high boost on pump: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...37r-turbo.html
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:25 PM

i agree get a dual map best of both worlds
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

i have a map switch and have no issues flipping back and forth between octanes (although i couldn't tell you whens the last time i run pump).
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:28 AM

I personally think E85 is safer than meth, and its really convienent if you have a gas station that carries it around you.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the insight. I would like to have a switchable tune with tephra 7 and run 93 most of the time. I don't think switching back and forth will be a good option without draining the tank. I'm in Kentucky and was wondering who the closets tuner is to me that can set me up with dual tunes(93&E85) thats switchable? Most of the EVO's in this area are Mellon tuned. I'm not sure if he offers that.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Seriously I don't get the whole "Have to drain the tank thing). If you run your tank as empty as you dare and fill up with 93 (coming from E85) or E85 (coming from 93) just take it easy during that tank for about half a tank.

Unless you are going to be going straight to the track you can drive around normally.

I''ve done this a million times and NEVER had an issue. I don't know anyone who runs E85 on the regular that has an issue switching back and forth. Most of the people saying it either don't run it often (if at all).

You'll be fine. Pump has some ethanol in it and Ethanol has some pump in it. I wouldn't go race a Ferrari right after switching octane but you should be fine for regular driving.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Meanie
Seriously I don't get the whole "Have to drain the tank thing). If you run your tank as empty as you dare and fill up with 93 (coming from E85) or E85 (coming from 93) just take it easy during that tank for about half a tank.

Unless you are going to be going straight to the track you can drive around normally.

I''ve done this a million times and NEVER had an issue. I don't know anyone who runs E85 on the regular that has an issue switching back and forth. Most of the people saying it either don't run it often (if at all).

You'll be fine. Pump has some ethanol in it and Ethanol has some pump in it. I wouldn't go race a Ferrari right after switching octane but you should be fine for regular driving.
OR just don't risk it / waste your time farting around till you drain the majority of that mixed tank. It only takes a minute or two. Pull off the return line that runs back to your fuel tank, and put a hose back on the return pipe that is long enough to reach a fuel container. Start up evoscan and actuate the fuel pump. DONE.