Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Twin HD Pops out of Reverse

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KX250Fmotoracer
If you are getting the tranny fully into reverse and it pops back out, it sounds like a spur gear.

If its just difficult to shift into gear your clutch isn't disengaging all the way. You may need to raise your pedal a little higher or looks for a pedal height spec from exedy
Basically if I don't hold the stick in the reverse position and I try to reverse at this point, it's in neutral. It doesn't notch into Reverse and stay there. I'm going to BR next week for a retune. Maybe I'll have them check it out since they installed it. I'll look into this on the Exedy side and see what I find out. Usually when no one else is having the same issue you'll just be blamed for it somehow or other. haha. I'm used to this sort of thing.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

I got some interesting information from member F0RSAKEN. This may help some people in the future. If you have a ETS (or similar) Short Route Upper Intercooler Pipe and you have the MR transmission the UICP could be getting in the way. There is an arm on the top of the transmission that needs to move freely in order to get it fully into gear. I already confirmed mine is hitting my pipe so I'm hoping this will be the problem. I'll simply readjust the pipe and make sure there is enough clearance. Hoping this helps someone in the future as I've been dealing with this problem since May and not a single tuner seemed to know this problem exists.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Since I have adjusted the UICP I have not had a single problem with reverse. Hope this helps someone.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

from what you describe (GEAR POPPING OUT) it is NOT a clutch related issue. So I would stop wasting your time there. Its either one of these (or maybe both)

1) Shift Cable is twisted/binded. Many installers do this on accident when disconnecting the cables and dont put them back on right. Worse case scenario buy new cables. They arent much.

2) Transmission. Perhaps snap ring for reverse. (i highly doubt it though. Usually its the cable)

Quick test... disconnect the cable(at the transmission, its a simple pin) and reach down w/ your hand and click the gearbox into reverse. Start the car and let out the clutch and see if it stays in reverse or pops out. If it stays... then obviously its the cable applying tension on it causing it to pop out.
If it still pops out then its the transmission.

-Tom