Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

sigh. a/c problems.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sigh. a/c problems. (solved!!!)

Okay, so I have an 05 evo, and the AC is starting to crap out. First off, I have 94k miles and the problem started at about 65k miles or so, but only intermittantly.

The AC will start off ok, but if it's a hot day, will crap out at about 10-20 minutes. idling in traffic will make the problem appear faster.

step 1, take to the dealer, who had my car for 2 days, stuck a thermometer in the air vent, said it's ok, then charged me $120. I returned 15 minutes later, to show that it's not working, and they said thanks for the $120 sucka.

step 2. evac old coolant, add new coolant, another $120.

at this point, i decide to look further into the problem. I already changed the accesory belt, and it's functioning properly, including the tensioner.

The A/C clutch will cycle off , but the engine will idle up, when the problem is present. This tells me that the computer thinks that the ac should be on.

step 3. Flush out and clean evap core. I know that there is a few sensors on the evap core, so I thought maybe they were "freezing" up, and telling the compressor to shut down. THIS was a pain in the butt. had to go in from passenger side under dash, take off cover, and use a sprayer (garden type) to clean and flush evap core, but the exterior is now CLEAN!!! A/C blows super cold after this, but the problem still exists.

step 4. at this point, I decide to look closer at the clutch and lines going from the compressor. no pinches/ leaks etc. The high side line coming from the compressor gets super hot, while the high side line leaving the condesor isn't very hot... I'm guessing that maybe it's a clogged condensor instead. take a/c lines off, and blow compressed air through dryer line, and it's difficult but, it sprays oil and stuff out the other end... I decide to get a new condensor/dryer.

Change condensor... about $300 bucks for non-oem. refill.... works better, but goes back to normal within a few days.

At this point, I'm guessing it's either a clogged expansion valve, or a clogged line.

Has anyone changed the expansion valve before? I'm hoping it's a quick unbolt, and rebolt without having to go through from the dash side. OR having someone flush my a/c.

either way, I will be down the car for a few days.

Why is it important for me to have A/C? because I have 2 7 month old twin girls, and this is my only vehicle. My gf has the accord, but we go opposite directions to work etc.

I'm looking to see if anyone else had similar problems, and what steps they took to rectify it.

Last edited by mrbkkt1; Jul 15, 2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the same issue it'll work for about 5 minutes or so and then go warm, some times it'll kick back on right away but if I turn it off for a few minutes and then try it again some times it'll work again for a bit but some times not. I'm assuming it's either my comp. clutch or freon temp switch. I was going to hook the comp. but to 12 volts and see if it stays working if it does I'm guesing it's the switch but if it doesn't then I need a new clutch
Old Jul 15, 2010, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMFG...... You wouldn't believe the problem, unless you were there to see it.

So, I finally had given up, and taken my car to my brother, the Infiniti Mechanic.

He tries to duplicate the problem in the morning, of course not.

he goes to lunch (hot) and the problem arises. He pops the hood, and notices that only the a/c fan in on, and not the puller (radiator) fan. He then.. Plugs in the fan (doh), and lets the car cool, then problem solved.

I had taken the fan out, when I had installed my catch cans and cleaned my intake at about 70k miles, which is of course, when the problem had started. I guess, having a monster radiator, and a hood vent, never made my temp go up real high, so I never noticed it.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:06 PM

i have the same problem...

so...

now what? its hot 2day and my A/C works only when its cold outside!

change my A/C clutch?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

well I had something funny happen yesterday as I mentioned above mine works for like 5 or so mins but then stops and then maybe starts working again. Well yesterday it was working for pretty much my entire 30 min ride home, but it stoped when I got off the highway??? so I'm thinking maybe the clutch because on the highway I stay pretty much at the same revs as to stop and go???
Old Jul 17, 2010, 06:51 PM

weird I have the same problem, except mine wont even work for 5 minuts more like 30 seconds, recharged the a/c... no change. Im thinking it might be a problem with either the pressure sensor or the expansion valve
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

only working for 30 seconds??? To me that sounds more like the clutch but who knows, we need someone who works at an AC shop to talk on here I want to go out and play around with mine but it's over 90 degrees today and it's sunday I might when it gets cooler later
Old Jul 18, 2010, 02:45 PM

the car was built for performance, speed, handleing, and so on. the a/c is kinda small for car. so if you want more air flow,, roll down the windows and hit 80mph...lol my a/c sucks too!
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

wow that was exspensive
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

well I just went out and did some tests and it turns out it's my comp. clutch oh well
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:57 PM

I've had the exact same problem for 2 years... Here is a list of things I have done and still has not fixed the problem...
1. New fan control module
2. Coolant drained and refilled
3. New expansion valve
4. New Compressor and a new a/c high side line

F***ing Pissed, what is wrong!

B.T.W. it's and '05 as well
Old Jul 18, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Im thinking bad sensor or component.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 06:10 PM

my a/c just took a crap on me too. it would only turn on and off intermitently. it turned out that the power wire the plugs into the a/c to cycle the clutch on/off had broked inside the clip. I removed the clip, took it apart and re soldered the wire>>>>now its ice cold at 78k miles if there is to much resistance in the wire, for slight breakage or corrosion, itll do that. I would have never found the problem so fast if I wasnt under the car installing my FP red and cams.

g/l I hope this info helps someone.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

^ that's interesting, how did you know it was broken???
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Glad to hear that it was just a plug it back in thing lol

Quick Reply: sigh. a/c problems.