Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another quiet exhaust project (BluEVOIX and beyond)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Easy way to make your car quieter... make less power.

I have two resonators and 1 muffler. My car is quiet on boost... pretty booming at idle.
For me, it's just not about being relatively quiet. It's about exhaust tone. I need to be able to roll by a cop standing at a stop sign in a quiet neighborhood looking for any violations he can find and not have him conclude that my exhaust is louder or unusual compared to stock. I've had my car with multiple mufflers and it's quieter than without (though no where near stock), but there's no questioning that it's a modified exhaust because of the lower tone that you get with a full-time full 3" system. I think the VT works because it effectively necks the exhaust down to a smaller diameter most of the time and a cutout works if the regular flow of the exhaust isn't 3".
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're after a different tone, then you may want to switch to a dual 2.5" exhaust, as the diameter of the exhaust pipe has a lot to do with the tone.

l8r)
Old Aug 3, 2010, 03:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow- I am am bummed to hear your results with the VT muffler.....

when cruising, was the car any quieter qith the vt muffler?

was the biggest issue the flapper banging? sorry, no audio on my work pc....or was the way the muffler effected your idle?

I am in quest for a quiet exhaust too.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
Try the Greddy SP2 exhaust - I have it and it is wonderful...No nasty drone....no power loss from an N1 straight through design....
Old Aug 3, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
Wow- I am am bummed to hear your results with the VT muffler.....

when cruising, was the car any quieter qith the vt muffler?

was the biggest issue the flapper banging? sorry, no audio on my work pc....or was the way the muffler effected your idle?

From the video his exhaust was loud regardless of the flapper banging sound. It was floating open longer than staying closed so sound pressure would escape and make it more audible.

Check out my video clips in the other thread, when you get to a computer with audio.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

I just tossed one on my car and it is way quiet when cruising around town and I thought it was quiet when I was WOT, at least more quiet then the Invidia muffler.

Now mine did make a clanging noise at idle so I took it off and want to return it. Nothing like Rich's car though.

Cruising was a dream come true, so quiet and nice!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
how about drilling some holes on the flapper to relieve some of the pressure on the flap
Old Aug 3, 2010, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Isn't stock too quiet? lol I mean as long as the exhaust doesn't drone too much I don't see any problem with it. But it's pretty sick though I want to hear it when it's wot
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by vmrevo9
how about drilling some holes on the flapper to relieve some of the pressure on the flap
You could do that but then there might be some issues. The hole might be big enough to allow enough sound to pass through that would not make it quiet or it might make a whistling sound lol.

Originally Posted by 4g63Moon
Isn't stock too quiet? lol I mean as long as the exhaust doesn't drone too much I don't see any problem with it. But it's pretty sick though I want to hear it when it's wot
No such thing as too quiet. I rather accelerate in absolute pure silence with the only sound of a the air being sucked in by the turbo.

Originally Posted by Dennis F
I just tossed one on my car and it is way quiet when cruising around town and I thought it was quiet when I was WOT, at least more quiet then the Invidia muffler.

Now mine did make a clanging noise at idle so I took it off and want to return it. Nothing like Rich's car though.

Maybe you have the old version before the revision? And the clanking noise was from the throttle plate rubbing and not actually bouncing open and closed like it does with heavy lope cams?

What is the number on the box? And does the lower valve plate inside have enough clearance like this :

[IMG]

And yes even WOT is quieter but has a very aggressive tone. Never heard an evo sound like this. I heard it once when I opened the rear window as I was giving a fellow member a ride so they can check it out too.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

What about doing the round maganflow with the dynomax vt would that help cars with cams
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

or even doing dual dynamax vt or a round maganflow and dual dynamax vt idk just putting some stuff out there to think about
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dennis F

ok so you have an evo8 and clangs at idle. what cams?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

blue evoix which way should the flap open? Push up or push down?

Getting mine installed soon, AMS TBE with 4" resonator and stock cams. Hopefully my car will purr like a kitten =D at least cruising and idle hopefully
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
ok so you have an evo8 and clangs at idle. what cams?
Comp 280's

I took it off and bought a Tanabe Medalion catback
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MR White
blue evoix which way should the flap open? Push up or push down?

Getting mine installed soon, AMS TBE with 4" resonator and stock cams. Hopefully my car will purr like a kitten =D at least cruising and idle hopefully
iirc the muffler case is marked 'top"

Quick Reply: Another quiet exhaust project (BluEVOIX and beyond)