Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turned Crank Theory..Controled Test

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow Mitsu was really not messing around with this engine. Either way, I'm at about 7400 miles now, with somewhere around 40 drag strip passes making 380-ish WHP. No change in oil pressure or indication of anything being wrong.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by THUB
Wow Mitsu was really not messing around with this engine. Either way, I'm at about 7400 miles now, with somewhere around 40 drag strip passes making 380-ish WHP. No change in oil pressure or indication of anything being wrong.
Thats great man! Just curious, when you had you crank turned did you have it re-nitride coated?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Update:

So have just passed the 500 Mile mark yesterday & it was time to do a quick oil change along with switching up oils. Made the decision to switch to some Shell Rotella 15w-40..I know everyone is prob thinking "wtf" why wouldn't you run some synthetic oil but there are many high power cars out here that just run conventional, and of course change it a whole lot sooner...Also, will not be tracking the car so doesnt really matter.

As for the car, it is running great, not burning oil or anything out of the ordinary. Everything seems to be in check and just getting some more miles before I head out for the tune. I will keep you guys updated!

Feel free to add your .02 guys! All feedback is welcome!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Update:

Tune is in Less than one month..Started the count down
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OneCrzyEvo21
Thats great man! Just curious, when you had you crank turned did you have it re-nitride coated?
I don't actually know. I bought it from AMS because I absolutely obliterated one of my rod journals. (bearing/ rod took .040 off in the big spots. not pretty) It's actually a 2G crank, as well.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by THUB
I don't actually know. I bought it from AMS because I absolutely obliterated one of my rod journals. (bearing/ rod took .040 off in the big spots. not pretty) It's actually a 2G crank, as well.
Ahh i gottcha man, well if it runs good then its doin great!
Curious to see how mine will do..Just counting down the days haha
Old Aug 5, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Update:

I know a lot of my updates on here may seem repetitive or you may think "why does he keep telling me about his engine breaking adventures" The reason why I am closely documenting everything is because I really want to have the best recordings of this 10/10 "cut crank" in a motor that will be making high numbers..It is a huge debate if you can turn cranks in these motors & I dont want to leave anything out so people can point fingers down the line...

Getting close to that 1000th Mile..Car seems to be running fine, not weird noises, leaks, or anything out of the ordinary..Got on it a lil bit the other night, but nothing crzy maybe 10-11 psi if that.. (Remember, I'm already tuned) Not want to push it past that much for now, ill just let it loose on the Dyno

I probably wont reach my 2k break in before my Dyno day towards the end of this month but spoke with my machincest & he said it should be fine..Also, like David Buschur says, "If motor is gonna hold, it'll do it from the beginning if assembled properly"

Will keep you guys up dated
Old Aug 5, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TakaseEVOIXSE
yep factory 4g63t crank is nitride treated....
Yup they weren't messing around
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Update: 2 Weeks till Tune Date

Everything is running great..Car seems to pull nicely, got up to about 15psi the other day merging onto the freeway and everything seemed fine..Just going to do one more oil change before it sees the dyno..

I'm super curious to see how it will do on the dyno and there afterwards..

What do you guys think!?!?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Ive already seen 4g's make big power with some good miles on turned cranks and even topline cranks, so I know its doable.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 420a-t
I think Ive already seen 4g's make big power with some good miles on turned cranks and even topline cranks, so I know its doable.
+1 Thank you for your input man..Keep em coming!!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Update: Tune in about a Week

Motor seems to be running great..Revs freely, and pulls great..Hit about 20psi the other day for a quick second..Super smooth & no knock yet..However, lets see how this does at WOT!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

good info here im about to build my motor, think about using 5w30 regular then synthetic after 1000 miles . what you guys think about shot peening the crank?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 04:37 PM

Subscribed. Do you plan on running conventional oil for the life of the motor or just temporarily?

I think it's great that you're taking the time to document all this for the benefit of others. Keep up the good work.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by miller121mx
Subscribed. Do you plan on running conventional oil for the life of the motor or just temporarily?

I think it's great that you're taking the time to document all this for the benefit of others. Keep up the good work.

Hey man,

Yes, I plan on running conventional for the Life of the Motor...Just plan on changing the oil every 1,000-1,500 miles depending on how hard i Smash on it..

Of course if I do a track dayy..then after each event..The main purpose for this thread is to see if a 10/10 cut crank will fail when running in a high horsepower car..it is a HUGE discussion on all Evo / DSM forums..

If you guys wondering and asking yourself "Why didn't you just buy a new crank to being with!?" And the anwser is, " I could have bought a new crank if i wanted, however, i wanted to do a legitimate test and see if Cut / Turned Cranks really fail or chew up bearings."

I was going to use this crank in the most extreme, not a 400whp Evo, but a 600whp + Evo..Also, i would like to see how long it will last for and if it will give me any problems..

Thank you for your feedback guys..Keep em coming..

5 Days Till Tune...

Quick Reply: Turned Crank Theory..Controled Test