Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

which cam combo to use

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by leonevox
there's also virtual dyno that u can use while tuning on street my friend. Just ask chris@mellon tuning, he will explain to u mikey.
Okay, tell me how accurate the "virtual dyno" is? Not very and you can't get near the precise tuning as you can with a real dyno. Trust me there is a reason for dyno's existing. Shops wouldn't pay almost 100k for something that they/we don't need.

Mikey
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
INCORRECT! The best tune is both. You can't always feel the wrong timing on the street, small misfires, afr, boost, and a few other reasons why dyno tunes are the best for making the most power. You will ALWAYS make more power dyno tuning. Period.

You should street tune too. It helps make sure that the cars driveablity is ****. Something that you can't really do on a dyno. Cars will always preform different on the streets.

Mikey
u can tune your car at the drag strip too . That is THE most accurate my friend. I tuned mine like that. I went from 10s to 9s in several pass. Dont have the luxury of a real dyno.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, tell me how accurate the "virtual dyno" is? Not very and you can't get near the precise tuning as you can with a real dyno. Trust me there is a reason for dyno's existing. Shops wouldn't pay almost 100k for something that they/we don't need.

Mikey
that 's just for business bro, dont u get it? Let me ask u this, who would want to take ur ride on the street and tune it? NOBODY. That is dangerous, and illegal to speed up to like 100mph on the street. And iam pretty sure if you ask the tuner which way are better tune, I bet you 100% they gonna say dyno tune are better, hell, i would too if i owe a shop with a dyno. And hell its not their car, they can say anything they wanted. You as a Consumer can only trust them.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

let me give you an example mikey. I used to have an dyno tuned bc272 cammed evo 8 with 315 whp. One day, after the dyno tuned, i raced with my cousin bone stock 07 STI on the highway at 70mph both car in 4th gear. Quess what, we ran side by side up to 110mph. You tell me if that dyno jet we just tuned was correct or not mikey. And yes, to refresh your memory, subaru STI only make like 245whp bonestock.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not wasting my time with this thread or you anymore. Think what you want, but don't give people advice on this forum.

Mikey
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

im doing street tune then using they dyno for fine tuning. I want a dyno sheet

1. never seen one in person want the experience
2. i want a dynosheet to show i been on one before
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AFAIK, nobody on here is combining cams from two different cam manufacturers in their Evo. I don't think that you'd really want to attempt this. For example: an HKS 272 intake cam, and, a 280 BC exhaust cam in the same engine, at the same time....you don't really want to try this. You would definitely be sailing in uncharted waters along a rocky coast on a dark and foggy night, w/o your sextant.

Last edited by sparky; Jul 20, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

^ you are right. Two different brand intake and exhaust cam are not going to work. Cuz of their duration and lift. I installed cams and tuned it myself, so i know this very well.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
im doing street tune then using they dyno for fine tuning. I want a dyno sheet

1. never seen one in person want the experience
2. i want a dynosheet to show i been on one before
dyno sheet are for kid drag strip times slip are My dyno sheet
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by leonevox
u can tune your car at the drag strip too ....I tuned mine like that.
It would take a considerable combination of driving and tuning skills to tune a manual tranny car on the fly while you drive it down a quarter mile track. To my knowledge, you are one of the few, if not the only person to have succeeded

Last edited by sparky; Jul 20, 2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

stick shift car might be a little inconsistent sometimes, but evos are very easy launching at drag strip. I mostly tuned car with automatic for consistent.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not wasting my time with this thread or you anymore. Think what you want, but don't give people advice on this forum.

Mikey
well believe it or not my friend, there is no BS in me (leon)
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

And other cams are not working well? You are crazy!!! I don't run anything BR and won't ever. I don't seem to have a problem making power...

Mikey
His statement, scorch, was very ignorant but the bf272s are a killer cam. I wish you had a VIII so you could compare them. Heck if Aaron could get a hold of a similar cam for an VIII, I would send him my BF272 to see how they compare in an independent study. I am very confident in the BF272s and I know Aaron or ER wouldn't lie.

And Leonevox, Dynojets are accurate in the sense that they hardly ever vary in numbers. You can't mess with any setting to throw them off. So you are incorrect, dyno's are VERY accurate when used correctly. They are a form of tuning and Dynojets across the world all read almost exactly the same, when using SAE cf. You times at the strip and on road tunes vary with temperature, incline, decline, and altitude. In Albuquerque, NM going from one side of town to the other there is more than a 1000' increase in altitude.

Last edited by jasnm21; Jul 20, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jasnm21
His statement was very ignorant but the bf272s are a killer cam. I wish you had a VIII so you could compare them. Heck if Aaron could get a hold of a similar cam for an VIII, I would send him my BF272 to see how they compare in an independent study. I am very confident in the BF272s and I know Aaron or ER wouldn't lie.
blackcarbonevo need to get out to the real world and quit listening to aaron@eR yo mikey, Tell Aaron leon from norcal tell him that he's suck at tuning , iam his master
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jasnm21
His statement, scorch, was very ignorant but the bf272s are a killer cam. I wish you had a VIII so you could compare them. Heck if Aaron could get a hold of a similar cam for an VIII, I would send him my BF272 to see how they compare in an independent study. I am very confident in the BF272s and I know Aaron or ER wouldn't lie.

And Leonevox, Dynojets are accurate in the sense that they hardly ever vary in numbers. You can't mess with any setting to throw them off. So you are incorrect, dyno's are VERY accurate when used correctly. They are a form of tuning and Dynojets across the world all read almost exactly the same, when using SAE cf. You times at the strip and on road tunes vary with temperature, incline, decline, and altitude. In Albuquerque, NM going from one side of town to the other there is more than a 1000' increase in altitude.
I would really like the chance to see a set of the BF272 or BR272 against something that I am familar with. There is a car I have in mind for this but I will have to talk to the owner and see if a cam swap is something he wants to do. Timeframe can be the killer since its going to be an after hours research project.

I am going to also test a set of GSC JUN style cams in an VIII vs a set of BC280s in a car that already makes 464 on the stock turbo. It took a lot of fiddling to get it there, but I think the GSC will do it easier. Not really expecting more power, just less intense to make it happen (no more 36+psi).

My grampa once said "I realised the more I learn the less I really know". That was 50 years of engine building speaking and I think its no different with what we do. Cam design, engine profile, head flow, valve size, turbo selection, header size and primary length, too much to choose from. Some combos work really well together and some take beating a dead horse to a new level.

Aaron

Quick Reply: which cam combo to use