Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4g64 Or 4g69

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also hey Rock how are things going with you i know you got your car at jms. i just asked Jorge about this build im trying to do. hopefully he has some good info as well
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by L@Ncer06
Also hey Rock how are things going with you i know you got your car at jms. i just asked Jorge about this build im trying to do. hopefully he has some good info as well
hell ya ill type a longer message alittle later once im at a cpu about to head to bed
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ok miragevo so your saying that with the 4g69 its maxed out as far as bore so the only amount of power i would be making is about 650 or so? and your right about the cooling but for what im trying to get both blocks are safe so no problem there. also what if i were to bore out the 4g69 would that make it unsafe and more likely to crack just asking on that. so if i were to get the 4g64 what would i have to do to it so my evo 9 head will fit and work on it? thanks alot everyone really good info im really leaning towards the 4g64 but something about the 4g69 is still keeping me thinking i guess its because not many people have them and i like being different
The 4G69 comes from the factory with an 87mm bore. I would not bore it out any more. If you had to, you could bore it .020 over and bring it up to an 87.5mm bore, but i would stay away from that. When comparing the 4G63 to the 4g69, most people will take their 4G63 stock block and add a factory 100mm crank, forged or billet 150mm rods and throw in forged stroker replacement pistons (pin is shifted up 6mm) that are 85mm wide (stock 4G63 bore) and in the end, have a 2.3L with 2270cc's of displacement. Now take the 4G69 and "use it's factory 100mm crank", add forged or billet 150mm rods and throw in forged stroker replacement pistons (pin is shifted up 6mm) that are 87mm wide (stock 4G69 bore) and in the end, have a 2.4L with 2378cc's of displacement. Now the benefits of the 4G69 over the 4G63 in the 2 above examples, are that the 4G69 comes with the 100mm crank and is already bored from the factory to 87mm and will net you more displacement. Now, the 4G63 would net you the same displacement if you went and had it bored to 87mm for example.

Now, step into the 4G64......You have 6mm more deck height to deal with, which in the end could net you more displacement if you went with a larger than 100mm crank...but I'm not going to go there in this thread.......... So now, you have 6mm more deck height which allows you to increase your rod height to 156mm therefore increasing your rod stroke ratio to 1.56, where as the above examples had a rod stroke ratio of 1.50. This increased rod lenth will help in reducing the side loading of the piston slamming into the cylinder walls and enable you to increase your redline by some hypothetical 500rpms .....approximately 8500rpm max. This 4G64 with an 87mm bore and the longer 156mm rods and 100mm crank is still going to net you the same exact displacement of 2378cc. The 4G64 in thoery should be better, but their are a lot of big players out there that have proven the 4G63 version with the 1.5 rod stroke ratio above works. I think Buschur has a video of him dismantling one of his 2.3 4G63 9 sec motors with virtually no wear....so the choice is up to you. I guess it all boils up to whatever you can get your hands on....ie stock block 4G63, 4G69 or 4G64........Decisions decisions......I've been thinking about what to do myself with this subject for over a year now.....still gathering parts.......to build something.....
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

ok my build is going A1 jorge has began to start to dial in the pump gas tune alittle. Issue is my exedy carbon clutch is slipping just alittle bit up top in the rpms so he can push it but not like all out crazy. So i had to get another clutch so i bought my 3rd exedy twin HD and its at strictly modified now getting rebuilt.

Also mean while have plenty of goodies at JMS that will be installed once my new exedy clutch arrives

STM Clutch Fork
STM Steelbraided Clutch line
exedy twin HD
Agency Power Front motor mount

Aem Wideband to replace my innovate i have installed right now. Jorge feels its better for dd and self calibrating
Fortune Auto Stainless Steel Bolt Kit
TCC Gloss Black Radiator brackets carlos hooked me up more appearance action

thats about it. Im thinking of getting some Goil foil from Fortune auto and doing the top and side of my Maf in it like on there TA car and possiblely wrapping the outside sides of my battery in it. Might end up getting a Buschur Race intercooler if needed i feel my aps is more then enough to handle this monster now maybe on race gast or definatly e85 ill need a upgrade but we shall see. Tired of spending money haaaaaaaaaaa lol

Originally Posted by miragevo
The 4G69 comes from the factory with an 87mm bore. I would not bore it out any more. If you had to, you could bore it .020 over and bring it up to an 87.5mm bore, but i would stay away from that. When comparing the 4G63 to the 4g69, most people will take their 4G63 stock block and add a factory 100mm crank, forged or billet 150mm rods and throw in forged stroker replacement pistons (pin is shifted up 6mm) that are 85mm wide (stock 4G63 bore) and in the end, have a 2.3L with 2270cc's of displacement. Now take the 4G69 and "use it's factory 100mm crank", add forged or billet 150mm rods and throw in forged stroker replacement pistons (pin is shifted up 6mm) that are 87mm wide (stock 4G69 bore) and in the end, have a 2.4L with 2378cc's of displacement. Now the benefits of the 4G69 over the 4G63 in the 2 above examples, are that the 4G69 comes with the 100mm crank and is already bored from the factory to 87mm and will net you more displacement. Now, the 4G63 would net you the same displacement if you went and had it bored to 87mm for example.

Now, step into the 4G64......You have 6mm more deck height to deal with, which in the end could net you more displacement if you went with a larger than 100mm crank...but I'm not going to go there in this thread.......... So now, you have 6mm more deck height which allows you to increase your rod height to 156mm therefore increasing your rod stroke ratio to 1.56, where as the above examples had a rod stroke ratio of 1.50. This increased rod lenth will help in reducing the side loading of the piston slamming into the cylinder walls and enable you to increase your redline by some hypothetical 500rpms .....approximately 8500rpm max. This 4G64 with an 87mm bore and the longer 156mm rods and 100mm crank is still going to net you the same exact displacement of 2378cc. The 4G64 in thoery should be better, but their are a lot of big players out there that have proven the 4G63 version with the 1.5 rod stroke ratio above works. I think Buschur has a video of him dismantling one of his 2.3 4G63 9 sec motors with virtually no wear....so the choice is up to you. I guess it all boils up to whatever you can get your hands on....ie stock block 4G63, 4G69 or 4G64........Decisions decisions......I've been thinking about what to do myself with this subject for over a year now.....still gathering parts.......to build something.....

4g64 hands down i dont even know how one could consider even thinking about 4g69 you bring up great points for it at least but putting those thoughts into money and a block is a different story. I suppose if you want to be different then by all means show us what a 4g69 can do

Last edited by RockmanX; Aug 17, 2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Hey rock that's good man from what I hear its going to be a beast. Well I talked to Jorge and he said that since I have the ix head I should go with the 69 so yeah I'm going with that and let's see what it can do.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
4g64 hands down i dont even know how one could consider even thinking about 4g69 you bring up great points for it at least but putting those thoughts into money and a block is a different story. I suppose if you want to be different then by all means show us what a 4g69 can do
The only way I would even contemplate doing a 4G69 is if I had access to it real cheap and it was just staring me in the face. For me to go out and initiate something, it'd probably be the 4G64 for more revability. Although I want to use Oliver Rods or Carrillo H-Beams....and 156mm versions of either is where my nightmare starts
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Hey rock that's good man from what I hear its going to be a beast. Well I talked to Jorge and he said that since I have the ix head I should go with the 69 so yeah I'm going with that and let's see what it can do.
YOU DONT NEED THE 4g69. LOL in fact ill do you one better GO to JMS Racing and tell jorge to give you a ride in the blue bomber you will be singing 4g64 after its done. You have to do a couple different things to get it to work with a evo 9 but plenty of folks do I can give you a guide on what to buy or get in touch with English racing and they can let you know what JMS needs to know. Heck when they started my build I was the second one ever they have done. the first one I dont think JMS built Jorge just tuned it im the first built and tuned and i gave them all the parts and information they needed to get my 4g64 DONE and you see they did just that purrrring like a kitten right now. JMS will take care of you but if you want my options or help just call me man any friend of JMS is a friend of mine.

GO up there see the blue bomber since jorge has a mild tune on it because my carbon is only slipping up top he can give you a nice exciting ride then come back once my new clutch gets in to feel the adrenaline rush at full power
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by miragevo
The only way I would even contemplate doing a 4G69 is if I had access to it real cheap and it was just staring me in the face. For me to go out and initiate something, it'd probably be the 4G64 for more revability. Although I want to use Oliver Rods or Carrillo H-Beams....and 156mm versions of either is where my nightmare starts
agreed i learned about the 4g69 and learned more from what you posted which was cool food for thought but you dont see anybody offering to build them for a reason. the 4g64 can do so much more there not point in going beyond UNLESS you just want to do it to be completely different then I hear you. chances are if your internals is capable of doing 700+ maybe you might want to get that someday but being limited by the block possible is just a waste of funds
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

just talked to jorge at jms about you lol he said he has talked to you several times and told you to do a 2.3 build. If you have to buy a spare 4g63 block and start building it
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

yeah i told him that i would like to do that also but i dont want any down time and i dont have the money to get a 63 block thats only reason im getting the 64 or 69 is becasue i found them really cheap and this build is going to take a while to complete so thats why he said to go with the 69. but will see im going to go jms and see the blue bomber i also pmed a guy who used the 64 with his mivec head he said I would have to get cam gears for the timming belt to fit and tap the block for the oil feed. He made 524 with 92. so will see i hope to get 600 to 650 out of the motor i build with 93
Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i told him that i would like to do that also but i dont want any down time and i dont have the money to get a 63 block thats only reason im getting the 64 or 69 is becasue i found them really cheap and this build is going to take a while to complete so thats why he said to go with the 69. but will see im going to go jms and see the blue bomber i also pmed a guy who used the 64 with his mivec head he said I would have to get cam gears for the timming belt to fit and tap the block for the oil feed. He made 524 with 92. so will see i hope to get 600 to 650 out of the motor i build with 93
ok a couple questions for you. i would use the 4g64 I talked to jorge about you yesterday as well. 600-650 on 93oct?? you will need a bigger turbo like 6262 etc. ALso your in texas you have e85 stations why not use that liquid gold??? If you used that a fp black will get 600 easy. there are plenty of blocks around everywhere have you deciede on internals or you letting JMS get what they want?? i mean personally i would get the internals first as thats the meat and most expensive part of the whole ordeal or even consider buying some of the built motors for sale on the forums and having JMS take it apart and check it out.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

MAP-Howards Rods, custom 156mm versions and custom Wiseco 1400 HD stroker pistons, coated tops and sides......done!!!!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
ok a couple questions for you. i would use the 4g64 I talked to jorge about you yesterday as well. 600-650 on 93oct?? you will need a bigger turbo like 6262 etc.what about a 30R ALso your in texas you have e85 stations why not use that liquid gold???becasuse there are few stations out here 4 exactly and i want it as a DD it would be way easier to just go to a shell station or Exxon] If you used that a fp black will get 600 easy. there are plenty of blocks around everywhere have you deciede on internals or you letting JMS get what they want??well i had a few in mind egale rods je pistons but that is subject to change ill have to do some more research on that. i mean personally i would get the internals first as thats the meat and most expensive part of the whole ordeal or even consider buying some of the built motors for sale on the forums and having JMS take it apart and check it out.your right but i had to figuer out what block i was going to use so that i know what rods/pistons etc. to use and what would help gain the most power and reliablity.
Miragevo that sound like a good set up for the 64 bro but i think im going with the 69 i could still use the wiseco pistons but like i said have to do some more research.

Hey you guys have been a great help i have really learned alot both these blocks are great and its tough to pick which way to go about things really really toughthanks again
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

30r ... negative if ur shooting for 650whp
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also. I would think 4G64s are cheaper, more plentiful and easier to find. '69s only come in (USDM-wise) '04+ Galants and '06+ Eclipses which probably aren't found in scrapheaps too commonly.

I did not know the '69 had a lower deck height and larger bore, learned something today. Cool.

Quick Reply: 4g64 Or 4g69