Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4g64 Or 4g69

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question. I have a 64 and need to know if you can shave the deck to clean it up without affecting clearance issues? Just needs a few thousands at most.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry to dig up an old thread, but i'm just about ready to revive my 04 Lancer ralliart build, and I've got this thread from a member on the forums. I've read most of the posts on this thread, And after a 2 year vacation from the ralliart scene, I cant beleive the EVO guys are using our puny motor in your car. Never thought i'd see the day lol...

Ok anyway, i have a question for you. My 4g69 is comepletely build from valve cover to oil pan, and ready to handle 500-600whp. THIS stage of the build, i'm ready to push only 350whp, i'm still running a RRM turbo kit, and a ****ty piggy back ecu, which is hooked to the bone stock OEM ralliart ecu. After comepletly building the motor, the car won't start up. My guess is the piggy back fried the OEM ecu and I need to probably replace both.... So now on to my question...

You guys are putting in a 4g69 motor, with the evo turbo setup, correct? What exactly has been done to your ECU???? I'm thinking about just buying an evo ecu and evo harness, and hope for the best. What do you guys think???

i dont have an evo, i have an 04 lancer ralliart with a worked 4g69.

thanks for the help, all info on ecu would be awesome.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuorder
The benefits of th 69 are larger coolant passage ways and same deck height as the 63 eliminating the need for offset adjustable cam gears/modded mivec gear required to run the 64.

Shown here in order left to right to illustrate coolant passages are a 69 block from an '05 lancer, a 63 block from an '03 evolution, and a 64 block from an '02 galant.
interesting the 4g69 has larger coolant passages. but I wouldnt call that a plus. the deck would be more likely to split bores . the evo closed deck design woul be much stronger.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Jun 27, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is completely true but I want to see how far we can push this block well, for the sake of seeing how far we can push it Trust me, normally the closer something gets to being an open deck design the more my skin crawls.

Ralliart,

No worries, this project is still ongoing. I just have had to do it one bit at a time due to financial constraints. I'm personally just running an AEM series 1 for the Evo IX and the IX harness as well. Not sure what to do if you're running the 4g69 Mivec head as I'm sure how you would control that system with the Evo harness.

mitsuorder
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuorder

This is completely true but I want to see how far we can push this block well, for the sake of seeing how far we can push it Trust me, normally the closer something gets to being an open deck design the more my skin crawls.

Ralliart,

No worries, this project is still ongoing. I just have had to do it one bit at a time due to financial constraints. I'm personally just running an AEM series 1 for the Evo IX and the IX harness as well. Not sure what to do if you're running the 4g69 Mivec head as I'm sure how you would control that system with the Evo harness.

mitsuorder

So, your using an AEM series 1 for the evo 9, and evo 9 harness on your car, its all bolted onto the 4g69? so the evo ecu is running fine with the 4g69 motor??? or is it JUST the head? I thought it was the full block. damn, i'm confused now. I read too many threads, in too short of time, i may have gotten some info confused.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ralliart,

Sorry for any confusion. To clarify I am running a series 1 AEM to an Evo ix harness to a built 4g69 block mated up with an Evo ix Mivec head.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

o0o0o Ok than. I thought it was the head and all included, which to me seemed odd cuz why would you go DOHC to SOHC. But alright Now i got it. So do you think if i swaped heads, but put it on my worked 4g69 block, AND got the evo ecu and harness, it would all work?

and thanks so much for the help. I need to find a way to get this ecu easier to work on, than the junk i have now. this evo/ralliart motor might be a good way to go. "in theory" might not work at all tho. was asking anybody's opinion i guess.

Last edited by Ralliart_on_LSD; Jun 27, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: thanks
Old Jul 1, 2012, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Yes that is the way to do it, the Evo head is much better then the SOHC 69 head, and use the complete evo harness and ECU.

I have a running 69 in my evo with an mivec evo head using stock ecu, completely bolt in motor just as mitsuorder has stated (i got most of my tips from him).

Now question for the 69 guys, any issues with freeze plugs popping out of the block? Im having an issue, and the HG does not appear to be bad... I need help with this its driving me to HATE my car.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

mitsuorder, is there anyway you can post a list of parts you used to swap the evo9 head onto th 69 block? I plan on swapping the head, wiring and ecu into my ralliart. It would really help if you could tell me what you used. Im not looking for big power just something reliable. Id like to do this over winter.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

ralliart610,

Sure man, no problem. I'm tired so this is just the stuff of the top of my head, let me know if you want anything else listed specifically.

Power Enterprise head gasket because it worked out perfectly for my bore and the water jackets.

MAP mivec oil feed line because the feed hole on the 4g69 block is smaller than the that on the 4g63 and MAP's line includes the perfect little adapter for it.

Cosworth head studs because I got them for a killer deal. The MAP ultimate duty h11 studs look to be of identical tapered tip design and material so I'd prob just go with them if I hand't have gotten them for such a price.

Aside from those items I did have my combustion chambers in the head massaged a bit but that's about all I can think of to actually bolt the Evolution 9 4g63 mivec head to a 4g69 block

Oh and I'm also running a Kiggly hla and personal choice of oem Evolution timing belt.

mitsuorder
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. Besides that, i think all i would need is evo 9 wiring harness, evo 9 ecu, and evo throttle cable since ralliarts are drive by wire. Time to search the market place. Id really like to do this swap by spring. Not that i cant afford an evo, i could sell my integra and srt4 for one, i just think nobody would expect it from a ralliart.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'd love to see this in an RA
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Any updates on this? Pictures or videos? I am still waiting on a 4g69 bottom end to get my project started.