Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

50k miles of alcohol injection and no cracked pistons! Cheap alky kits exposed.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why is the engine out, did you crash the car?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good info man. the video showing the jets are a real eye opener. really shows you whats going on with a good jet and spray pattern vs a leaking jet and how it could impact your motor.

like i said in the other thread, evoryder is a good friend of mine and has had great success with his system and set up. i still think there are too many ways for the sytem to fail, thats just my opinion though. i do beleive it is a great power adder and there are great pro's to running it ( you can run 93 and not have to hunt a E85 station down) and still get that "race gas" feel, lol not everything works for everyone. if it works for you, keep rolling with it. good luck guys.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:03 PM
Account Disabled

Much props for this thread and real Information ..
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

I agree.. I have had my Labonte Mthanol kit running 100% Methanol for more than 40,000 miles with great success!!! plus Dan Labonte is one nice guy. His customer service is alwayse great as well! heck he drove 2 hours to my house to do a upgraded control box for me as he needed someone to test a new controler...
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do those cylinder walls look? I'd like a picture
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

i've had the aquamist hfs1 for over 20k miles and i didnt have one problem with running meth.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:51 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Why is the engine out, did you crash the car?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nd-my-vag.html

Originally Posted by purevibez
good info man. the video showing the jets are a real eye opener. really shows you whats going on with a good jet and spray pattern vs a leaking jet and how it could impact your motor.
Glad you like them, its amazing to me how many people haven't seen these, yet they've been on this very forum for several years.

Originally Posted by 4doorstreetbike
Much props for this thread and real Information ..
Thanks

Originally Posted by jamevo8
I agree.. I have had my Labonte Mthanol kit running 100% Methanol for more than 40,000 miles with great success!!! plus Dan Labonte is one nice guy. His customer service is alwayse great as well! heck he drove 2 hours to my house to do a upgraded control box for me as he needed someone to test a new controler...
Might want to take a close look at that kit you have and the details of this thread. Make a list, is everything on there?

Originally Posted by DRCperformance
How do those cylinder walls look? I'd like a picture
LOL you say that like you're being cute and trying to 'catch' me or something! They look [b]no worse than any other stock bottom end I've pulled the head off[b] and that includes pump gas stock turbo cars making ~300whp and E85 FP Red cars making 460whp on dyno dynamics. Cross-hatching is still all visable, no visable scoring, and most of all, no cracked pistons!

I had the head off @ 60k due to stretched headstud(s), when I pulled it apart after the crash @80k it looked no different:
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:16 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by scheides
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...nd-my-vag.html

Glad you like them, its amazing to me how many people haven't seen these, yet they've been on this very forum for several years.

Thanks

Might want to take a close look at that kit you have and the details of this thread. Make a list, is everything on there?

LOL you say that like you're being cute and trying to 'catch' me or something! They look [b]no worse than any other stock bottom end I've pulled the head off[b] and that includes pump gas stock turbo cars making ~300whp and E85 FP Red cars making 460whp on dyno dynamics. Cross-hatching is still all visable, no visable scoring, and most of all, no cracked pistons!

I had the head off @ 60k due to stretched headstud(s), when I pulled it apart after the crash @80k it looked no different:

Send this to mike all meth kits are not created equal ..
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
Thanks for posting the info! It got me thinking about the pump in my kit..
I have an AEM kit (tephra map switching failsafe)... I noticed on the AEM website there is an upgraded pump available:
http://www.aemelectronics.com/recirc...ction-pump-698

Does anyone know if this pump is progressive? Does recirculation-style mean continuous pressure like the type you recommend?
i have a newer AEM kit,like a month old and its i believe it a constant pressure type,it primes when i turn the key and i can hear the pump humming when i just have the key on.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Very good info. Took you long enough to post this
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

definitely a good thread!! only 91oct is available where i live, so the only choice i have is alcohol injection. i have a smc kit that i bought about 3 years ago. the possible dangers of alcohol injection scare me lol the aem is set up as the failsafe in my car, but im sure it can be made safer. i like the smc kits for the '03 evos since it uses the water tank in the engine bay, but i know its probably not the best kit to have. obviously, aquamist seems to be the best, so i would definitely like to learn more about it.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

great info, thanks OP. I have been running meth for over 40k and 3 years....she is still going strong. Its all in the install and safeguards.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
Thanks for posting the info! It got me thinking about the pump in my kit..
I have an AEM kit (tephra map switching failsafe)... I noticed on the AEM website there is an upgraded pump available:
http://www.aemelectronics.com/recirc...ction-pump-698

... Does recirculation-style mean continuous pressure like the type you recommend?
This makes me laugh because I just got done asking this same question by email to Coolingmist, who have a similar looking new pump (250 psi, recirc, Made in USA). They also don't explain the recirc feature, so I asked "How, where, when, and why, does it recirculate or bypass?"

I think though, that to have a true continuously pressurized system all the way out to the nozzle, you can't get that just by changing the pump. There has to also be a valve out at the nozzle. Coolingmist has another new part that I think is probably for that purpose. It is a beautiful stainless solenoid operated valve for 50 bucks.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
pump + valve/flow control solenoid + Anti Surge Arrestor = instant pressure when required
Old Aug 25, 2010, 02:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Talonboost
This makes me laugh because I just got done asking this same question by email to Coolingmist, who have a similar looking new pump (250 psi, recirc, Made in USA). They also don't explain the recirc feature, so I asked "How, where, when, and why, does it recirculate or bypass?"

I think though, that to have a true continuously pressurized system all the way out to the nozzle, you can't get that just by changing the pump. There has to also be a valve out at the nozzle. Coolingmist has another new part that I think is probably for that purpose. It is a beautiful stainless solenoid operated valve for 50 bucks.
If you don't mind me posting an explaination to your questions on rec/by-p, please let me know. I study all the wmi systems and can help.

Quick Reply: 50k miles of alcohol injection and no cracked pistons! Cheap alky kits exposed.