Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

vmrevo9's mini build

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
vmrevo9's mini build

well this has been a long time coming. i have had my IX for around 3 years and i have loved every minute. it has seen a few upgrades here and there and my personal best was 12.5 @ 109. In feburary i had contacted CBRD with plans on taking a road trip to check out their facility and to have my timing belt replaced.

My car has just under 32K miles and it started that timing belt noise that some IX's seem to suffer from. i figured if they were going to do the timing belt lets do the cams too. then i decided to change the turbo as well! i told chad that i was planning on doing this in November i was deploying from april to september and i wanted to get it done when i got back.

Chad was great with giving me info and advice on what to expect and stuff. when i found out about the BBK-B i figured it would be the turbo for me since i didnt want to replace the turbo again anytime soon. i was hoping that it would have been out sooner so that i can see what the turbo was doing in the street and what peoples impressions were. after 4-5 months trying to decide i went ahead and ordered the Full. i really want a a strong street car with great top end and great mid range. it seems that the Full can fill that without giving up spool. and with CBRD doing R&D on the B still it helped with my decision . cant hate the fact that Chad is doing it right and taking their time on it!

the plans have changed alittle since the first call to CBRD. it looks like i will not be able to make the trip to them in november so i decided to do most of the work myself and take the car somewhere alittle closer.... AWDMotorsports. i will be going to them for the cams, timing belt install, head studs and a tune to bring it all together.

there is a lot of thanks i would like to give out.
first and foremost to CBRD for developing a great stock variant turbo with great performance.

Jason @ SpecOps - Jason has been a great help. he has given me advice and also some great deals on stuff i need to complete this. in fact i am still bugging him with all my questions!

Mellon tuning - Chris had tuned my car and his tune was vital to the 12.5 run and it netted 306awhp and 320awtq on a dynodynamics dyno. this was with the JunB.L catback, modded air box with K&N drop in filter, MBC set to 23ish PSI and stock downpipe. i would have loved for him retune with the new parts but cops are cracking down and tickets are even more expensive lol i think its safer to get on a dyno

Gary from Mellon tuning - thanks for the injectors! you were great to deal with and had great communication.

there is still alot of things to complete and alot of work to be done. i hope to have it back on the road in two weeks or so. i will be updating this thread with whatever else gets done.

i have a for sale thread and it will be getting updated as well
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ock-parts.html

here is the mod list
1000cc injectors
Walbro 255
3.5" FMIC
LICP
Spoolinup COP kit
Perrin intake tube w/ Amsoil Filter
Ebay o2 housing
PPI EXTREME ported exhaust manifold
megan 3" DP
Junb.l catback and testpipe
Forge UNOS MBC
GSC S2 Mivec Cams (november)
GSC single Beehive springs (november)
AMSoil engine/TC/Tranny fluids
Buschur front motor mount
ACT HDSS clutch and streetlite flywheel
AMS shifter cable bushings
beatrush rear diff and driveshaft bushings
STM clutch fork stopper

Goal is 400+ hp on a dynojet... we'll see!

tonight we got the exhaust and turbo off and started on the injectors

on to the pictures!

getting ready to be shipped to CBRD

thanks for looking and i hope you come back to see the progress!

Last edited by vmrevo9; Sep 15, 2010 at 05:11 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:28 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking great buddy. Keep up the good work!

Nothing better than doing it yourself in my opinion!
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Matt,

You also have helped me out! Btw the issue with my car was having turned out to be a torn coupler.

Still loving that COP!

Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:58 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
Thanks Matt,

You also have helped me out! Btw the issue with my car was having turned out to be a torn coupler.

Still loving that COP!

Thanks
No prob man.

Ahh that'll happen. I'm doing a boost leak test today too. Actually got a bit of time to work on my car! Unheard of!
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

well i hope you get a good chance to work on your car!

well it looks like there will be a change to the mod list. i may stay with the stock intake and TB i think if i will go through taking it all out might as well go with a good aftermarket intake manifold along with the 65mm TB plus i have to save some money for some other things like tires for my wife's SUV and some house stuff. so i will be researching which manifold to go with it might be the MAP rev2 or something along those lines.

i havent been able to drive my car for 5 months (deployment) and i'm itching to get it back on the road lol. hopefully the stock TB and manifold wont hurt me to much.

Today i sent out the Turbo and painted the stock UICP ceramic black.

Tomorrow i plan on installing the STM fork stop and changing the drivetrain fluids. Amsoil fluids in the Tranny and TC. stock diaqueen for the rear diff. i also will be finishing installing the 1000cc injectors.

stay tuned.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:08 AM
Account Disabled

looks good, keep this updated,

say hi to Chris when you see him.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

will do Andy! i still plan on seeing you on my way back from AWD.

Today i was able to change the fluids in my drivetrain except for the ACD which will also get some Amsoil love. got to wait till the battery gets hooked up to do that one.

with assistance from my buddy CGroovy2k2 we installed the injectors. i needed to make sure they were right since they felt "loose" to me.

also had my neighbor weld an o2 bung on to the 3" dp so hopefully i can wrap the downpipe tomorrow and seal it with the header wrap spray.

tomorrow is going to be a day in which i have to dedicate to my wife's car. it needs a detail really bad. and since we are getting ready for a 8hr drive on thursady so there is a few things i need to do it. cleaning/detailing and flushing the brakes is on the top of the list! i also had bought her a HID kit so i may try to install them tomorrow as well. we'll see!

oh yeah i will be sending out the exhaust manifold to get it extremed ported from PPI. so hopefully next week everything will be ready to be installed!! i also recieved my replacement LICP couplers today from ExtremePSI. let me tell you this things are pretty thick! i dont think these will break anytime soon lol.

and this is how she is sitting now... man it breaks my heart and i cant wait to get her back on the road!

Last edited by vmrevo9; Sep 14, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like a fun time. Good luck with it.

-Em
Old Sep 15, 2010, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

it sure is Emery but after not driving it for so long i really want her back on the road lol.

i was looking at your site yesterday and i may be placing an order sometime today for some misc. hardware and gaskets.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:23 AM
Account Disabled

rip some GA tramac son !

looking foward to see you and the car
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
rip some GA tramac son !

looking foward to see you and the car
plan on it!

well today i replaced my 3yr walbro with a fresh one. might as well get a new fuel pump for the 1000cc injectors.

i sent out my exhaust manifold to PPI for their extreme porting option, cant wait to get that! it should compliment the BBK full nicely.

and that was pretty much it for my car today.

on the other hand i got to do a few things to the wife's car. i installed the HID kit, cleaned it and flushed the brakes. so its pretty much ready for this trip tomorrow.

pretty much in a stop now until i get the FULL and manifold back.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I wish my engine bay looked that clean......
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like you're working on that Evo in base housing. Can't beat that two-car garage. lol
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Actually it's my house lol. We decided to buy when we pcs'd here. Didn't want to do base housing here.

The engine bay is actually alittle dirty. Once I'm done it's getting completely detail. I'll post pics once done ofcourse.

Lillev23. Your car become quite the monster! Good job.

Last edited by vmrevo9; Sep 16, 2010 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: vmrevo9's mini build