Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Strange vibration

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange vibration. Bad cv joint??

I am getting a vibration coming from the passenger side front area it also makes enough noise to drive you crazy on a long drive. When I turn the wheel just slightly to the left it stops and when I turn it to the right it the vibration get worse and the noise is louder. Its been doing this for over a yr now and everything I have tried has not helped. I changed the wheel bearing last summer which was bad and grinding, tires this summer and just had alignment a week ago and I am still getting this vibration. I had someone suggest to me that maybe its the cv joint. Im wondering if the wheel bearing I bought couldve been faulty, it was brand new though. Any other opinions out there?

Last edited by EvoVIII03; Sep 13, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:06 PM

In my experience, cv axles only made noise during turns. They will cause vibrations at highway speeds, though. I was gonna ask if you checked the tie-rods, but they should have been checked during the alignment.
Have you checked the wheel bearing for slack?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CV joints usually only make noise on accel with the wheel turned very sharp. its a loud clicking usually heard pulling out of a parking lot, etc. Its rare to have an axle that vibrates that bad, but doesn't make noise.

Was the alignment done at a reputable shop? I've had cars come in that were aligned by midas, etc and their front ends literally fall apart pulling into the shop!

Honestly, what you're telling me sounds like a wheel bearing, but you say thats already been replaced.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

I have checked the bearing for slack and it has no play in it what so ever. I had the alignment done by a local oil and tire shop. I havent heard any feedback on how they were with alignments but a lot of ppl say good things about them as far as everything else goes. maybe I did just get a faulty bearing and thats the issue. If I had not changed it last summer that wouldve been my first guess
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Go to a true repair shop and have them run the car up on the lift.

Does the vibration increase with engine speed or with vehicle speed?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

yes it does get louder when my speed increases

Last edited by EvoVIII03; Sep 14, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
My brother-in-law used to drive a minivan with bad axles which he refused to fix. At highway speed the vibration was always there but it wasn't constant in intensity - always varying. I don't recall any noise.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

the sound is a lot more intense than the actual vibration
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

sound like pass side axle is gone. if you turn right noise gets louder means more then likely you have a bad pass/right side axles. but before you replace the axle rotate the tires see if the noise and vibration goes away and its kinda hard to mess up the bearing on this cars.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

I have already tried rotating the tires thinking maybe I had a slightly bent wheel but nothing changed.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im gonna either go with bad axle like what ppl said before, or im gonna lean towards damaged hub.... quick way to check jack up rf corner grab top and bottom of tire shake up and down check for movement, and also spin the tire n listen close for noise.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

You said you changed the wheel bearings already? They seem to be **** on these cars so I certainly wouldn't over look them. Wheels bearings went bad at 50k miles... am I driving a GM??? Mine had zero play when I checked them, yet the right one howled at highway speeds. The point is, you won't necessarily see any play or notice anything wrong with the bearing at all, even though it's bad. I took a stab in the dark and replaced them and the noise went away. Go figure.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

I have been taking the bearing into consideration but if it is the bearing i would have had to been a faulty one bc it has been doing it since last summer and thats when I had changed the bearing. I just wanted to know if the axle could be a possibility too. I will have to do some more inspecting to see if I can pinpoint the problem since neither part is cheap. I dont know if its bc I live in the middle of no where but the cheapest I found the bearing was $190 for the one side. The average price was around $300. I would hate to see the price tag from a dealer.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoVIII03
I have been taking the bearing into consideration but if it is the bearing i would have had to been a faulty one bc it has been doing it since last summer and thats when I had changed the bearing. I just wanted to know if the axle could be a possibility too. I will have to do some more inspecting to see if I can pinpoint the problem since neither part is cheap. I dont know if its bc I live in the middle of no where but the cheapest I found the bearing was $190 for the one side. The average price was around $300. I would hate to see the price tag from a dealer.
i would get a quote form the parts department i only paid around $150 for a hub with the bearing so i would look in to that and install is pretty easy to do. but to me seams like a front axle if not your wheel and tire.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Dude. www.mitsubishiparts.net! $130. p/n MB914617

Quick Reply: Strange vibration