Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What plugs to run on a e85 2.3 black?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What plugs to run on a e85 2.3 black?

On the way home with my car, it started misfiring, pretty goo under boost. This tells me since it was at 521 hp that probally time to start upgrading the ignition, since its stock. I am debating over the spark tech non cdi and the spooling up. I realize wit these systems you cna run different plugs, and gaps. This is where I get lost in making a good choice wih plug. I am asking suggestion on which plugs with e85 thank you guys
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:03 AM
Former Sponsor

What are your hp goals...realistic
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
NGK BPR8es gap to 0.22-0.24

if it continues to break up after that swap then coils are bad.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

spark, Honestly I wanted 550 from my build, got 521. 2.3 fp black, without a tag on it, . e85, and all the mods to easily get me there. I want 550. Ill be pming you later
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
With E85, I have found that cooler heat range plugs (e.g. BPR8ES) are not the way to go. Stick with the factory heat range.

For an EVO VIII, that will be a BPR7ES (conventional), or BPR7EIX (iridium).
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

I have been running bpr8es with e85 and never had a single misfire at any boost level with either stock ignition or sparktech.. do whatever works.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:18 AM
EvoM Guru

There may be no apparent misfire, but that doesn't mean the plug is operating at the desired temperature. I have witnessed issues with using cooler plugs with E85, as have several others.

Why?

Because plug heat range refers to the effective operating temperature of the plug, which should fall within a specific range. With E85, combustion temperatures decrease, which effectively decreases the operating temperature of the plug (the same effect as using a colder plug). Add a colder plug on top of that, and the plug is more likely to run cool enough under part-throttle conditions not clean itself effectively. Whether this is apparent enough to notice from the driver's seat is a matter of chance.

In cases where this caused a stumble or uneven low speed response, reverting to a more appropriate heat range cleared the issue. In all cases, off-idle torque and response improved, and there have been no detrimental effects.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

If the plug isnt operating at its desired temp then why are they lasting for thousands of miles? I dont think there is an issue with bpr8es on e85.. i know tons of people using 8es on e85. the record holding fp black car uses 8es.

Wouldn't it not last as long if it wasnt operating at the proper temp? I am goin on 2500 miles now on the same plugs with no issues.

I understand what you're saying tho and it makes perfect sense, im just confused why everyone runs 8es and not 7es. My setup for example i dont think will benefit at all, because i already tuned it on the 8es and theres no way it is stumbling the car has more response then a c5 vette at part throttle.

is there anything we can do to test this stuff?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tscompusa
Wouldn't it not last as long if it wasnt operating at the proper temp?

I understand what you're saying tho and it makes perfect sense, im just confused why everyone runs 8es and not 7es.
If the plug is running at the cold end of the spectrum, it won't make a difference in plug life. The effects probably won't be manifested at WOT, and neither will it make a difference in setting records.

'Everyone' determined years ago that running an '8' heat range (one step colder) was probably a better proposition for hi-perf use, but that was with gasoline. E85 wasn't around back then. I am one of several here who's experienced a direct effect of the '8' heat range running too cold with E85. Although this is first manifested in part-throttle operation, the fact that it's there reveals that the overall range is a little too far down the cold end of the spectrum.

These are my observations, several others have been affected as well, and I am just reporting them as they are.

Last edited by Ted B; Sep 28, 2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

ok so basically if I change out my 8 to 7's i should feel a difference in part throttle and cruise etc? if i dont then what? can each motor react diff to the heat of the plugs? also maybe the e85 source plays a roll also? i will test this out .. i think i have 7es down in the garage new
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tscompusa
ok so basically if I change out my 8 to 7's i should feel a difference in part throttle and cruise etc? if i dont then what? can each motor react diff to the heat of the plugs? also maybe the e85 source plays a roll also? i will test this out .. i think i have 7es down in the garage new
The source of E85 won't matter ... unless it's unlawfully short on alcohol content.

Will you feel a difference? Realize that you could run plugs from heat ranges 6-9 and not necessarily 'feel' the difference. That doesn't mean the plug is running at optimum temperature in all cases.

Yes, some setups will expose this issue before others. In my case, the lower off-idle cylinder pressures as a result of the overlap and huge lift of my cams is a factor that will expose something like this more quickly than some other setups. Nevertheless, it does exist.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I would run these have alway's did.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...lfr7h5245.html
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I am with Ted, I found the BPR7EIX to work way better than BPR8ES plugs with E85. BPR8 plugs fouled out too quickly and misfired.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
I would run these have alway's did.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...lfr7h5245.html
I wouldn't recommend those.

Those plugs have a tiny platinum wafer soldered to the ground electrode (just like the OEM EVO plugs). Aside from platinum having some properties that are less desirable for our purposes, AFAIK the tip design is suspect under extreme conditions. Both plugs have an iridium center electrode, but the EIX has a nickel ground electrode, which has lower electrical resistance, and doesn't have any soldered pieces that can get flicked off.

In short, I feel the 'long life' iridium designs are fine for a Cadillac CTS, but the platinum tip used for the 'long life' isn't doing us any favors. I feel the iridiums with the tapered, u-groove nickel electrode (e.g. EIX) are the best ones for us.

Last edited by Ted B; Sep 28, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I am with Ted, I found the BPR7EIX to work way better than BPR8ES plugs with E85. BPR8 plugs fouled out too quickly and misfired.

I agree with Ted and this guy. First hand experience as well, and I'll continue to use the stock heat range plugs from now on.

Quick Reply: What plugs to run on a e85 2.3 black?