Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC vs. Supertech

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you recommend GSC s2 for me? i have a evo9 with a bbk full with no cams and im making 385hp.. I was also thinking about getting the kiggly springs but this speed shop around my way told me that the spring rate on the kigglys were higher than the supertech and told me that it will be a noisy valvetrain.. is this true? need a little advice here.. On which cams and springs?? any advice would be greatly appreciated also im not thread jacking just didn't want to start another thread while this one already open... thanks...
Old Feb 6, 2011, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BuBBasEVO
do you recommend GSC s2 for me? i have a evo9 with a bbk full with no cams and im making 385hp.. I was also thinking about getting the kiggly springs but this speed shop around my way told me that the spring rate on the kigglys were higher than the supertech and told me that it will be a noisy valvetrain.. is this true? need a little advice here.. On which cams and springs?? any advice would be greatly appreciated also im not thread jacking just didn't want to start another thread while this one already open... thanks...
my gscs have been good to me. the supertech spring have been good too, but i cant compare to springs i havent used before.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
The Kiggly valvesprings would be overkill for S2s and "normal" rpm that you would run with a stock appearing turbo. The GSC Beehives that use either the stock retainer or full replacement Ti retainer would be plenty for 385whp.

aaron
Old Feb 6, 2011, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If me, GSC springs, retainers, and no tick lifters. Leave seals alone too

As far as bc Í find the name weird
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Consider the latest info from GSC on valvespring design and use-

GSC Power-Division 4G63T Single Beehive Spring set for Evo 8/9
Click to enlarge Click to enlarge
GSC Power-Division Beehive springs feature some of the most impressive manufacturing techniques in the industry. Our beehive spring uses an ovate wire which utilizes advanced material heat treatment methods for superior load loss capabilities. What this means to you is our spring has the highest level of spring load retention while still maintaining good fatigue threw out the life of the spring. Only the best materials go into the GSC Power-Division Beehive valve spring. Each batch is scrutinized for tensile strength properties, ductility, inclusion content, and fatigue toughness.

The beehive valve spring shape has become the buzz lately. Some have enquired as to the benefits of a beehive spring vs the dual springs that are sold by others. While some might find that the beehive spring design is new it has been used commonly in many OE engines as well as in all of the NASCAR and F1 engines of today. Why? The beehive shape is more stable than standard single or dual cylindrical springs. The beehive design which incorporates an ovate wire is more than capable of the performance demands that were previously only matched by a Dual Springs. With the smaller and lighter retainer used on the beehive valve spring allow for higher RPM and more valve control. So beehive valve springs, with there lighter weight retainers allow for engine's to rev quicker and maintain a more stable valve motion than the traditional cylindrical springs of yesteryear.

Beehive Spring Benefits:

* Rev faster
* Lighter components
* More durable design
* Less stress on valvetrain components
* Lower spring frequency for more precise valve control.
* More valve control equals more aggressive cam profiles
* All of these items help to return more power for you to enjoy!

The GSC 5039 Beehive spring is a factory replacement and will use your stock OEM retainer and valve seat to ensure an easy and inexpensive upgrade for your upgraded camshafts.

5039 Beehive spring pressure:

* 1.56"=68 lbs /.300" =160lbs / .400"=190lbs / .450"=210lbs / .625"= Coil bind.

5039 Beehive Rev and Boost range (using an S2 profile camshaft set)

* Max RPM: 9000
* Max boost: 30psi

5039 Beehive Max lift

* Do to stock retainer max lift is 11.3mm at the valve or .259" cam lobe lift.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Why do they recomend limiting max boost to only 30 psi. I was running 33 psi on S2's with my stock springs!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Silk
Why do they recomend limiting max boost to only 30 psi. I was running 33 psi on S2's with my stock springs!
Its if you are running it out to 9000 also. Max limits move around depending on rpm and the natural frequency of the spring. We have run 38psi on them as well so they will hold. At the same time we arent running those motors out to 9k either.

aaron
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:02 AM
bac

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
I'll go ahead and say this. If you have a IX you had better only put GSC cams in your car! BC and HKS are the two WORST cams on the market!!! Trust me, I know. I when to a custom grind GSC and gained 150whp over my HKS 280 on same timing and less boost!!! GSC FTW. My friend only gained 6hp when he installed the BC and they woudn't idle worth a damn either.

Also don't put any springs in your car but Kiggly. They are the absolute BEST! Your car will hate you if you put anything else in it. Also when building your motor do it right the first time Saves you a lot of money in the long run.

1) GSC S2
2) Kiggly Springs
3) Kiggly HLA

Your motor will thank you!

Mikey
Brilliant post going with GSC S2 cams, what I want to know, if I run the kiggly springs do I pair it with the stock oem retainers?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bac
Brilliant post going with GSC S2 cams, what I want to know, if I run the kiggly springs do I pair it with the stock oem retainers?
Kiggly's come with retainers and seats.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:30 PM
bac

Ok cool thanks . If going with the gsc springs I notice they give 2 options, they sell just the beehive springs alone and springs+retainers. If I purchase just springs alone will it be fine to pair up with the stock retainers, and run the S2 cams?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

There are 3 options actually.

Springs with stock retainers (5039)
Springs with Ti retainers (5040)
HD Springs with Ti retainers (5041)

I have seen a few stock retainers fail at high rpm so we no longer sell "just" the spring. The extra $170 is worth it compared to a potential $5000 for a motor.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gsc 5041 hi rev spring are back ordered so I cancelled my order after waiting a whole month for a shipout date, I'm going to go with kiggly now and add the hla in on the order.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bac
Ok cool thanks . If going with the gsc springs I notice they give 2 options, they sell just the beehive springs alone and springs+retainers. If I purchase just springs alone will it be fine to pair up with the stock retainers, and run the S2 cams?

i run the S2s with beehive springs and stock retainers and have no problems what so ever for 4000 plus miles. but im still on stock block so i dont rev it much past 7k. and they fit great. i love my S2s! plus the idle lope is sick with great all around gains
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnBradley

I have seen a few stock retainers fail at high rpm so we no longer sell "just" the spring. The extra $170 is worth it compared to a potential $5000 for a motor.
The 5039 kit (just springs) isnt recommended for more than an S1 profile with stock rev limit and not much more boost, if anyone plans on running more boost or a bigger cam/higher RPM please choose wisely and get Ti Retainers!

I will also add that we batch our springs according to spring rate for the individual spring, so every bag has the exact same spring rate in every spring. Consistency is key with valvetrain!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:35 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley

Great, now I don't rememeber which ones I have! But my entire head comprises the GSC catalog, save for the Kiggly HLA. The components are great quality. Greg was also very with his advice during my build, which he did not sell me on anything I didn't need.

Quick Reply: GSC vs. Supertech