Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

REM ISF on a built trans? Real world experience/proven benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 09:13 PM
ktk
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
REM ISF on a built trans? Real world experience/proven benefits?

I'm going to be rebuilding my stock trans after throwing 4th gear synchro at a track day. The only thing I'm not sure about is the REM ISF option. Its a couple hundred bucks... Question is, is it worth it?

Who has tried transmissions with and without REM ISF internals? Is there any noticeable difference or what?

My application is street daily/roadrace ~400whp 2.3L
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

I had this done when Shep rebuilt my transmission. You will not notice this modification. This process basically makes the parts stronger and more resilient. My transmission now shifts flawlessly except for driver error from time to time. I did it because I knew that I would be tracking my car often.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

When I was looking into trans upgrades I asked either TRE or Shep (I don't remember as this was a few months ago and I did a lot of looking around and question asking...it might have Even been Buschur) and they said it wasn't really needed. It is like a high polish shine but chemically or whatever, it helps with metal on metal contact but as long as you have good gear oil I would think it wouldn't even be an issue.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^^ I thought it was a Hardening of the surface of the teeth of the gears...anyway i've heard that the benifits are debatable...I'm in the same boat..and i'm not sure what i'm gonna choose

Last edited by Teal2nnr; Oct 25, 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe it is hardening...I thought thats what the shtopeening was for. Either way I heard it was a waste of money.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a link explaining what it is for all those who don't know:
http://www.remchem.com/page3-31/WhatisISF
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, reduces friction and wear. I feel the gear oil more than likly does a sufficient job.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

I had everything in my shep trans and Tcase done with it, pretty much just because.

I only managed to do break in +600 or so miles so I have nothing really to say yet.

I don't ever want to mess with the trans/tcase again so I went with it to get any help with that plan I could.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Ive only got a few hundred miles on my shep tranny, and I didnt notice any difference in the feel of the tranny. I havent beaten on it yet, so only time will tell.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Any updates on this? I am also looking to have my tranny rebuild at shep and was wondering if I should spend 250 bucks on remming the parts. I understand the process and have seen how it works. They put the parts in big vibrating tubs with fine media and chemicals for however many hours the process takes. Its obviously gonna help take imperfections and porous qualities out of the gears and polish them. Just wondering if someone has actually noticed a few hundred dollar difference in feel or how the tranny shifted?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:02 PM

i just bought a evo 10 that had this done and as i understand it it also helps decrease the amount of parasitic power lost in the trans. mine also shifts seamlessly. so i think its probably worthit. anything that puts more of your power to the wheels !!besides if your going to send your trans to the best tranny builder you should let him use his best tricks on your tranny!also because if you dont you'll always wonder what if??

Last edited by TURBO X GSR; Jan 12, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my transmission done fully with REM ISF. If you have the trans out of the car and being built why wouldn't you spend the couple of hundred bucks imo. I absolutely love my Sheptrans, but how much of that is due to the ISF treatment... who knows lol.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Well just got my tranny out a few hours ago, gonna send it to shep this week and get the evo ix 1st and possibly the 4.11 fd, since i plan on makin quite a bit more hp eventually. Im gonna go ahead and get everything remmed, might as well.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:56 PM

I have had both the transmissions on my evo and there is no noticeable difference.the only reason I did it was in the hope of not having to remove the box again but seems like I have the 5th gear grind now so will be looking into getting a dog box.

Oh I did the 4.11 upgrade and love it as the car is used more for top end runs
Old Jul 31, 2014, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bumping an old thread...

Any of you high hp (600+) people out there had this done?

I am shooting for at least 600 on a mustang dyno and am sending out my transmission for a rebuild next week. Really debating whether REM ISF process is worth the extra $250 or if it more of a gimmick.

Quick Reply: REM ISF on a built trans? Real world experience/proven benefits?