Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
im a proponent of keeping it as simple as possible. to me a pcv valve is another component that can fail and cause a headache. does it have benefits? sure! but its also a great spot for boost to get into the crankcase if it fails.
There's nothing wrong with your reasoning. As long as you are aware of the advantages and disadvantages both ways, then the choice is yours.

Originally Posted by buchnerj
I have run oil analysis on my oil changes before. I will do one after 1000 miles with the PCV deleted and try and show a change in water levels in the oil. I will post up my results to see if it really makes that big of a difference.
That would be a great test and I was going to suggest doing that. However, maybe not just 1000 miles. You have your old tests. Run a few more...3000 miles, 6000 miles, 10000, etc, etc and see if notice any particular trend. Water is one, but maybe increased metal levels somewhere else if the moisture is causing corriosion, etc.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rodent
For drilling out the VC, I used one of these:

Worked great!
does that work better then a regular drill bit?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
oh yeah, especially in thinner sheet metal. regular bits make triangular holes, unibits make round holes. harbor freight has a pack of 3 assorted sizes for $10 and they are decent quality.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only problem I found with that was it leaves a stair stepped hole.... A Forstner bit or flat bit or auger style works good too.... Your right though Shawn those do rock, I use mine a ton!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:46 PM
Former Sponsor

so link me to the bit you guys recommend lol. i havent bought the drill bit yet, just the tap so far. i have to use a smaller bit anyways to drill a hole lower and then connect it with the original since the hole sits so high on the valve cover. but link me to the bit that will make the final 5/8 hole the easiest
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

so link me to the bit you guys recommend lol. i havent bought the drill bit yet, just the tap so far. i have to use a smaller bit anyways to drill a hole lower and then connect it with the original since the hole sits so high on the valve cover. but link me to the bit that will make the final 5/8 hole the easiest
If you want a clean hole then this is the type I recommend. If your going through thin metal then all in one posted will work.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Bohrer_01.jpg
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

here are the bits i use, but for what you plan on doing you are probably going to need to do it with a strait bit and a board clamped to it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...lls-91616.html
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine did a 3/4" hole without the step on my VII VC. The steps are wider on mine than in the picture. Worked better than I thought. They sell them at Harbor Freight. I used JB Weld to glue the -10AN bung but now I wish I would of tapped it and used a threaded bung.

Another way to tell if you're venting enough is to hook up a cheap boost/vacuum gauge to the VC one of the vent tubes and make sure you're not building pressure inside.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Your going 5/8 (npt)???
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
here are the bits i use, but for what you plan on doing you are probably going to need to do it with a strait bit and a board clamped to it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...lls-91616.html
Those are my bits.

I used the one in the middle which explains why I did not stair step mine when doing a 3/4" hole.

I did not clamp mine down. The magnesium is like drilling through alum and it felt fine just holding it with one hand and drilling with the other. Clamp is always safer though.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rodent
Mine did a 3/4" hole without the step on my VII VC. The steps are wider on mine than in the picture. Worked better than I thought. They sell them at Harbor Freight. I used JB Weld to glue the -10AN bung but now I wish I would of tapped it and used a threaded bung.

Another way to tell if you're venting enough is to hook up a cheap boost/vacuum gauge to the VC one of the vent tubes and make sure you're not building pressure inside.
Yeah I hear you.... The reason why I mentioned that is because I did a 3/8 npt. So I had to have it deep enough to tap it properly.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnEB
Your going 5/8 (npt)???
my bad its 1/2 NPT lol. 5/8 would be insane
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  56.8 KB
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

my bad its 1/2 NPT lol. 5/8 would be insane
I was gonna say.... I was thinking you wouldn't have room...
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

are you guys chiseling the baffles out then gluing them back in place or what?

Quick Reply: for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues