Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ams rebuild kits?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ams rebuild kits?

Gentlemen,

I'm planning on getting into an Evo next month after getting off a 7 month deployment as a welcome home gift to me, from me, for me a toss up for Evo and STI and the the Evo won me over. Hands down. Anyways, I have a few lined up I plan to seriously consider. One of which is priced nice but has almost 85K miles on it. Bummer but eventually I would plan on getting it rebuilt for future power plans. My question is about the AMS rebuild kits. Does anyone have any experience with either kit? Or is anyone rockin' one right now? Also I know when I was looking at the STI forums a lot of people mention about rebuilds not holding together. Is this a problem with Evo's or is just about getting the right parts and the right builder? Any input is appreciated, and sorry if this is a re post, I tried the search but couldn't dig anything up.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

Honestly, theres alot you should do before you go ahead and jump into a motor. And theres guys on here that have well over 200k miles on the stock block and still running strong. As you add parts and continue to read threads youll add parts, and have to upgrade others based on your power. Honestly, unless you plan on jumping into the 500whp+ range immediately, theres no reason to even be thinking about motors yet.

And in my opinion, for the little extra cost it is for a built shortblock from ANY vender, AMS, Buschur Racing, etc.etc. you can get yourself ahead of the game and not have to pay a machine shop for all the work. Well worth it!!

Either way, good luck finding your Evo, and Welcome!!
Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by EvolutionVIIIrs
Honestly, theres alot you should do before you go ahead and jump into a motor. And theres guys on here that have well over 200k miles on the stock block and still running strong. As you add parts and continue to read threads youll add parts, and have to upgrade others based on your power. Honestly, unless you plan on jumping into the 500whp+ range immediately, theres no reason to even be thinking about motors yet.

And in my opinion, for the little extra cost it is for a built shortblock from ANY vender, AMS, Buschur Racing, etc.etc. you can get yourself ahead of the game and not have to pay a machine shop for all the work. Well worth it!!

Either way, good luck finding your Evo, and Welcome!!

Great info man. I didn't know the stock block was that strong! and yes I'd much rather spend the money on some good starting mods. Thanks for the heads up.