Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Half radiator in summer??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Half radiator in summer??

Does a high quality half radiator such as a fluidyne or koyo with a proper fan setup overheat in the summer in stop and go traffic?

Does anyone road race with a half radiator setup? Is it up to the task?

Can someone with actual experience please share any information they have.

Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
My cheap Ebay honda radiator didn't overheat with normal driving or auto-x.

It did however run warmer then I cared for. My setup is a little different though and puts the radiator in front of the turbo instead of on the driver's side like all others and I had the fan on the front as a pusher which supposedly blocks flow, although I disagree with that idea as the air has to pass the fan either way.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

I'm doing a forward facing kit on my build but I recently put it up for sale in fear that I will overheat the car if I decide to road race it...

I may just go with it and see what happens.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think it would work for road racing. But maybe with a larger oil cooler it would be ok.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I don't think it would work for road racing. But maybe with a larger oil cooler it would be ok.
Just got the STM oil cooler setup...its slightly larger than stock...hope that helps
Old Dec 1, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

To my disappointment just read the STM core they are using is smaller than stock....hmmm...

I think I want one of these...http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=78277.0
Old Dec 1, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got rid of my half radiator...was pushing it too close with the high heat
I gutted the AC parts and did a custom larger radiator.
I wouldnt road race on a half rad...I had a Koyo i think
Old Dec 1, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
We have what I feel is the best 1/2 radiator option offered, it's custom built for us by Fluidyne. I also have a 3/4 width radiator that may squeeze in with our FF kit and would for sure offer enough cooling.
The following users liked this post:
WelDun1 (Aug 8, 2018)
Old Dec 1, 2010, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Dave,

I have your ff kit. Can you give me more details on this 3/4 kit? I'd like to purchase it. Didnt know it was an option !
Old Dec 2, 2010, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

The 3/4 radiator is designed to go in the factory location but is missing about 5" on the drivers side. It's meant to get fresh air to the stock turbo set ups. We have them in stock but haven't officially released them yet, I am building an air box for them for the stock turbos and then will release it as a kit.

The radiator could be moved all the way to the drivers side but would require custom hoses and the upper/lower mounts would need to be changed/moved. It would be a some work on your end but the radiator may be a solution for you. I'm not sure it will clear the FF kit. I'll try and take some measurements and see if it might.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

I picked up an AFCO "Sirroco style" dual pass radiator to replace my half width. Core volume wise, it has like 70% more core material then the halfwidth. Possibly similar to what David is talking about? Although he's using the stock mounts, I've put it into the core support area, giving more room for a larger header setup. Requires cutting a core support out though to make it happen. Probably not something most want to do.

Also gives you room to put intercooler pipes to either side of the radiator, shortening up the piping while there being enough room to squeeze in a turbo inlet tube.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Dec 2, 2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Speaking of dual pass radiators......I do have a half width dual pass here from C&R too. I'd bet it will work even for road racing because of the dual pass. It's a half width radiator and has a Fal sealed/shrouded fan on it. It's a complete brand new unit that I never used. Original cost on it was pushing $1,000. I am not going to use it. It does have -10 inlet/outlets on it, might be the perfect solution.

Make me an offer on it and I'll ship it out.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Dave,

A dual core setup presents an increased load on the water pump. Is the stock one good enough to take advantage of the dual core?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

I can only assume so, we have only used dual pass cores with electric pumps in the past and they worked well. The expense and manufacturer/guy behind them, is the only reason I didn't end up using this one myself.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=davidbuschur;8880351]We have what I feel is the best 1/2 radiator option offered, it's custom built for us by Fluidyne.

Any more info on this ? What is your advice on using it for road racing, do you think it will have cooling issues ? Is it comparable to a full size aftermarket radiator (cbrd, koyo etc.).

Quick Reply: Half radiator in summer??