Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

engine stalls

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation engine stalls

the evo is dead in the water and i need some help. i tried all i can think of within my boundaries... its acting all kinds of weird. it hasnt been driven in soo long and ive been driving it for 2 days now and last night she finally just gave out! when i first got it. every time i tried to give it some power it would miss and buck around and back fire. then it starting stalling when i put in the clutch. now it will start and idle for a few seconds then die. or it will die as soon as i give it gas! it wont run at all. i was wondering if you could stop buy and see what you could diagnose. at first i thought the fuel pump was dead. but it runs fine. also there is a clicking noise behind the gauges when it stalls. when i was driving it yesterday it would randomly die while driving under stable runs and the gauges would all go off then the ignition would blink on and off. causing the car to buck. it seems like the ecu has a short maybe and is killing the car. im stumbled!!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:23 AM

Question

i just went out and checked on it! the car will run and idle. the idle sits at 2 grand then just shuts down! it feels like the ecu kills the car after only running for 3-5 seconds! the lights on the dash flash at me and there is a clicking sound behind the gauges. the fuel pump wines too so i dont think the fuel pump is out. i need help before i take it to the shop. will the ecu short out or should i check the connections...im so lost!!!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

that would be the IAC...intake air contral valve..if you hold the throttle open does it idle?? is it drivable ?? does it only die when it wants to idle?....

if yes to those, than its the IACV....think theres another name for it but i can't think of it off top of my head.

but in the for sale section you will find people selling them...and its easy to install.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_gremlin
i just went out and checked on it! the car will run and idle. the idle sits at 2 grand then just shuts down! it feels like the ecu kills the car after only running for 3-5 seconds! the lights on the dash flash at me and there is a clicking sound behind the gauges. the fuel pump wines too so i dont think the fuel pump is out. i need help before i take it to the shop. will the ecu short out or should i check the connections...im so lost!!!
i just read threw this one...i dont recall hearing a clicking when mine had that issue......is the battery juiced?....does it struggle to start?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:35 AM

well i just read a thing on google with a guy having the same problem. he says his ecu has a bad ground. and no the car will rev but it will only stay running for a couple seconds. and yes the battery is pretty weak...but it fires right up no problem
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

if you can hold the revs and it dies still while you are throttling...would be another issue it seems
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:51 AM

what about the camshaft sensor???
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

well the car wouldn't turn over at all without the cam sensor.....it wouldn't add fuel and spark...

when this started did anything major happen?...like hear any hoses being blown off? well what led up to this
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:12 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...evo-8-ecu.html

this guy has the similar problem. also there is a loud clicking on the inside of the engine...really loud...like a broken valve spring (i know thats not the case..i know its electrical!!!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:17 AM

i think it might be a bad ground on the ecu
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:24 AM

Check battery and connections
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Did u check all hoses and pipes?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:43 AM

yes all hoses and pipes were good as far as i could see. im about to run outside and pull out the iac and clean it. what else do you guys suggest??
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:15 PM

here is a video of my problems!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJh8MoNn2QY
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

it looks like your alternator isn't charging. your draining your battery each time you start it up like that. for cold start it should idle pretty high then drop down to normal temp and regular idle. before it was gonna die it started to idle lower. since you havent been driving it, the battery drained itself. so you have to jump start it. let it sit and if it dies after you removed the cables its your alternator or battery.

Last edited by downshift411; Dec 14, 2010 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: engine stalls