Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Idle drops and stall during cold start and when the fan turns on

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle drops and stall during cold start and when the fan turns on

I've searched all the related problems but couldn't seem to find the same problem that I have.

Currently have Evo IX - MR 2006

After the Speed density installed and the tune, every time when I Cold start, it will first go up to 1.5-2k rpm and then all the sudden drops to 0 and stalls when the fan turns on. I've double check with the tune, shouldn't be the problem. I tried turning the TB idle screw ccw all the way and it still stalls in cold start when the fan turns on..The idle also bounces up and down when I go into neutral while rolling down the street..but when I do a complete stop..The idle will stop bouncing.

If anyone has any idea whats going on...please let me know
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not on sd but use to have a similar problem with the idle. do you have a cel on? its probably your iac. pop it out and clean the carbon build up off.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
im not on sd but use to have a similar problem with the idle. do you have a cel on? its probably your iac. pop it out and clean the carbon build up off.
Thanks, so I just have to wash the iac and make sure its not melted? I'll take a look at it asap
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AJR-Coco
Thanks, so I just have to wash the iac and make sure its not melted? I'll take a look at it asap
pretty much. just take some brake clean and spray the **** out of it. maybe use a soft brush to take the carbon off.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

I've cleaned it and tried almost everything..The idle is a bit smoother...but it still stalls during cold start...maybe its the SD? because the tune I contacted my tuner and he gave me another map for it..so I don't think its the tune. Also did a vaccum leak check...and nothing
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Don't mess with the IAC.. 05VIII is on a IAC rampage lol, But I want to welcome you to the SD Family we all deal with this in cold weather just when you first start it as it starts to drop tap the gas a little and get it to shoot to about 2k and it will idle there for a bit and I know my im lean at idle but with SD on the Euro Map it does not have a setting to add fuel at idle only. Also depending on your adjustment of your idle it will be rough and sound like its going to die but 99% of the time mine only died once. Its nothing to worry about its just we dont have the settings and the MAF to make all the corrections now. It wont happen in summer at least when it was 50+ I did not have this issue at all.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BEISSEN
Don't mess with the IAC.. 05VIII is on a IAC rampage lol, But I want to welcome you to the SD Family we all deal with this in cold weather just when you first start it as it starts to drop tap the gas a little and get it to shoot to about 2k and it will idle there for a bit and I know my im lean at idle but with SD on the Euro Map it does not have a setting to add fuel at idle only. Also depending on your adjustment of your idle it will be rough and sound like its going to die but 99% of the time mine only died once. Its nothing to worry about its just we dont have the settings and the MAF to make all the corrections now. It wont happen in summer at least when it was 50+ I did not have this issue at all.
were you not pm'ing me saying you had the same problems and it was your iac also?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Well if its the SD boo that! because right now my car is dying occasionally on a cold start, which is really bothering me
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Did you ever figure out this issue? My MR has the same issue but I'm not running SD.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

My Evo 9 had this same issue - I tried all kinds of settings in the map nothing helped - its a combo of things Cams, intake, Maf, Fueling etc...

When I switched to the Haltech ECU it pretty much disapeared.

Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going to bump this up because the problem is still occuring..I've tried to search on this forum but nothing yet, I want to adjust my ecu flash map but I am not that familiar with it. I heard the Mivec Intake advance mapping can be adjusted to fix the AC turned on Issue, but how about for just normal cold start I don't understand where I can change the mapping to fix the 5 min warm up and prevent the car from dying.