Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Strange noise on decel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Normal drivetrain harmonics. Don't think in 6 years or so I have been in any VIII or IX EVO that didn't have decel noise. Some louder than others depending on clutch, flywheel, motor mounts, sound deadening, light weight bits etc...
Ok thank you sir...I'm starting to feel better

-Bryant
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
I bet you do, but you won't know unless you look for sure. I've never heard any complaints about the sound with a stock clutch and flywheel, only aftermarket. Mine had made this same sound the past 3 years with no ill effects after I had my act clutch and lightweight fly wheel installed.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by My03evo
How is a fully mated (pedal out) clutch or flywheel going to make a noise?
I'm not an engineer or even able to explain it in full detail, but as far as I have learned having the lighter weight parts (flywheel/clutch), it may transfer more vibration/sound through the driveline, even while in gear as you questioned. Hence, the noise he and MANY others are hearing.

We aren't talking about the stock clutch flywheel here. Once the OP said "coffee grinder" sound, I knew instantly what he was talking about. That's the perfect way to describe the sound!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by LV///R
I bet you do, but you won't know unless you look for sure. I've never heard any complaints about the sound with a stock clutch and flywheel, only aftermarket. Mine had made this same sound the past 3 years with no ill effects after I had my act clutch and lightweight fly wheel installed.
To be honest it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it had an aftermarket clutch. Whoever had the car before me didn't mind spending money on it as far as the mods go, and it was in GREAT shape all but the fuel pump (it was on its way out). I'm not gonna have anybody check it out though because thats pretty extensive stuff just to see what's in there...I'll throw some power at it and I'll replace it if it slips . Thanks again!

-Bryant
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bryant05TB
To be honest it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it had an aftermarket clutch. Whoever had the car before me didn't mind spending money on it as far as the mods go, and it was in GREAT shape all but the fuel pump (it was on its way out). I'm not gonna have anybody check it out though because thats pretty extensive stuff just to see what's in there...I'll throw some power at it and I'll replace it if it slips . Thanks again!

-Bryant
I'm pretty sure I saw an inspection plate on the bottom of my trans you could take a peek in, or maybe through the shift fork area if you slide the boot to the side, would tell you if it's at least aftermarket and maybe can i.d. it from the looks, if it's purple or see an exedy sticker or something or if its a multiplate clutch or whatever
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LV///R
I'm not an engineer or even able to explain it in full detail, but as far as I have learned having the lighter weight parts (flywheel/clutch), it may transfer more vibration/sound through the driveline, even while in gear as you questioned. Hence, the noise he and MANY others are hearing.

We aren't talking about the stock clutch flywheel here. Once the OP said "coffee grinder" sound, I knew instantly what he was talking about. That's the perfect way to describe the sound!
Isn't it basicly the throwout bearing making the noise??
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by My03evo
I'm pretty sure I saw an inspection plate on the bottom of my trans you could take a peek in, or maybe through the shift fork area if you slide the boot to the side, would tell you if it's at least aftermarket and maybe can i.d. it from the looks, if it's purple or see an exedy sticker or something or if its a multiplate clutch or whatever
I'll look into that sir. Thanks again

-Bryant
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

My Evo has the same coffe grinder noise. On decel, in any gear. It sounds like hell with the stereo off and the windows up. But it's consistently been the same for two years, never really "getting worse". I think the culprit is actually the input shaft bearing, but I could be wrong. I've been waiting for it to blow up, but it never does. I don't have the money to fix it when it does, so hopefully it doesn't
Old Feb 1, 2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
My Evo has the same coffe grinder noise. On decel, in any gear. It sounds like hell with the stereo off and the windows up. But it's consistently been the same for two years, never really "getting worse". I think the culprit is actually the input shaft bearing, but I could be wrong. I've been waiting for it to blow up, but it never does. I don't have the money to fix it when it does, so hopefully it doesn't
Yeah I'm not giving it too much thought anymore, I was just curious if anybody else had the same issue. The tranny is really smooth, so I'm not too concerned anymore. I like your strategy though, wait and hope. Sounds like a plan

-Bryant
Old Feb 2, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
mine sounds like a heat shield rattle.....only makes the noise when in gear and off the throttle and is sometimes louder than other times and always goes away by pressing the clutch pedal....and can really be noisey if I down shift at high rpm
Old Feb 2, 2011, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

I noticed on decel, my sound goes away when I depress the clutch pedal.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

so did your noise ever go away or did you fix it?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
could be your TOB...I have an ACT HDSS clutch with their throwout bearing (should have used an oem tob) and it makes an annoying sound too....Could be that, an aftermarket TOB going bad.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is a comp 3.5 ceramic segmented with there TOB. It's a single disk. And I get this loud coffee grinder sound on decel on at specific rpms. Didn't make sounds on stock clutch though. If tried and looked everywhere for that damn rattle. No luck..
Old Aug 1, 2013, 04:26 PM

I am also facing the same problem. i already checked fluids and other staff everything is alright but can't rid off the grinding sound

Quick Reply: Strange noise on decel