Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Strange noise on decel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange noise on decel

Hello Everyone,

After doing some searching on here for the past month I've decided to create a new thread as opposed to bumping one that is super old. I want to start off by saying that my car drives great and the only issue I've had as far as the tranny is that third gear is a bit notchy (just seems to be the shifter more than anything). My real issue is that when I'm in 5th gear and I let off the throttle I can hear a grinding noise. It only happens on decel, when I coast downhill in 5th gear the noise tends to become more pronounced. I've only had the car for a little over a month. Its been driving fine and none of the gears grind when shifting.

I just wondered if anybody else experienced this sort of noise upon decel in 5th and if anybody could give me any insight as to what might be the cause. The closest thing I can equate the sound to would be a coffee grinder. I tried to get a video of the noise, but between the exhaust and road noise, I couldn't hear it on the vid. Thanks for any insight that can be provided.

-Bryant
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

is it like a werrrr werrr noise? at higher rpms like 4 or 5k and up? and when you press the gas again the noise goes away?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by AznDragonV
is it like a werrrr werrr noise? at higher rpms like 4 or 5k and up? and when you press the gas again the noise goes away?
The noise is present no matter what rpm I'm at and it does, in fact, seem to go away when I put my foot back on the throttle as to maintain a certain speed.

I've seen vids of the tcase death whine and I've ruled that out...

Last edited by Bryant05TB; Jan 24, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

even at low rpms? like under 2k?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by AznDragonV
even at low rpms? like under 2k?
Haha nah I don't spend much time under 2k ... Just when I let off the throttle and I'm coasting is when I can hear it the most.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Mine sounds like the exact same issue, except mine does it in almost every gear. Mine's coming from the front d/s right exactly where the tranny is...The fluid is at the perfect level, is super clear, and the trans and fluid has prob less than 4k on the Bushwacker rebuild so I want to rule it out but it is proportionate to the rpm NOT speed (like with a bad t case or wheel bearing would be) so I'm pretty convinced it's my trans. I'm going to change the fluid, I doubt that will do anything but can't hurt and like you I also just got the car and have had it for going on a month.

I would say it's something inside with too much endplay, and the noise is a bad bearing or something, and when it goes on the coast side of the gear the bearing that normally isn't loaded (since it's a helical gearset) now has some pressure on it but I really don't know. I've read the input bearings suck and wear out alot but I would think Dan would have noticed anything wrong with the trans when he had the trans apart so I almost don't know what to think but deff let me know if you find out anything too
Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:04 AM

^^thanks for the insight bud as it makes a lot of sense. I'll let you know if I come across anything, I've been searching for about three weeks.

I'll keep bumping the thread until somebody can give us some answers haha
Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryant05TB
Hello Everyone,

After doing some searching on here for the past month I've decided to create a new thread as opposed to bumping one that is super old. I want to start off by saying that my car drives great and the only issue I've had as far as the tranny is that third gear is a bit notchy (just seems to be the shifter more than anything). My real issue is that when I'm in 5th gear and I let off the throttle I can hear a grinding noise. It only happens on decel, when I coast downhill in 5th gear the noise tends to become more pronounced. I've only had the car for a little over a month. Its been driving fine and none of the gears grind when shifting.

I just wondered if anybody else experienced this sort of noise upon decel in 5th and if anybody could give me any insight as to what might be the cause. The closest thing I can equate the sound to would be a coffee grinder. I tried to get a video of the noise, but between the exhaust and road noise, I couldn't hear it on the vid. Thanks for any insight that can be provided.

-Bryant
Normal drivetrain harmonics. Don't think in 6 years or so I have been in any VIII or IX EVO that didn't have decel noise. Some louder than others depending on clutch, flywheel, motor mounts, sound deadening, light weight bits etc...
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Normal drivetrain harmonics. Don't think in 6 years or so I have been in any VIII or IX EVO that didn't have decel noise. Some louder than others depending on clutch, flywheel, motor mounts, sound deadening, light weight bits etc...
I was leaning more towards this because I've read a lot of threads about the numerous and various noises that these cars make. I just posted this to make sure there wasn't something going wrong that I could fix now and avoid major problems in the future. Thanks for posting bud.

-Bryant
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Maybe I missed it but do you have an aftermarket clutch and or flywheel? If so, this is a VERY common issue/noise it makes.

Tell me this, if you take the car out of gear and coast, it doesn't make the sound anymore does it? It's only if it's in gear, correct? If so, it's normal from what I've researched.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about the down pipe on the cross braces? or other trans/acd whatever.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

It is a normal sound, my car is 8 yrs old and 130k miles, it has always made that noise.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LV///R
Maybe I missed it but do you have an aftermarket clutch and or flywheel? If so, this is a VERY common issue/noise it makes.

Tell me this, if you take the car out of gear and coast, it doesn't make the sound anymore does it? It's only if it's in gear, correct? If so, it's normal from what I've researched.
How is a fully mated (pedal out) clutch or flywheel going to make a noise?

Last edited by My03evo; Jan 26, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by My03evo
How is a fully mated (pedal out) clutch or flywheel going to make a noise?
You need to read some of the clutch threads.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by LV///R

On the way home I did this about 5 times. Got up to about 70mph and let off the throttle and took it out of gear, and the noise wasn't there. And to be completely honest I just got the car last month and I have no idea if it has an aftermarket clutch and/or flywheel. Would this type of noise occur with a stock clutch/flywheel? It'd be a pleasant surprise if I had an aftermarket clutch already in this thing because I plan on throwing some power at it SOON . Thanks for the post.

-Bryant

Quick Reply: Strange noise on decel