Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Strange noise on decel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Aftermarket performance clutches use stiffer springs in the hub or bone and on decel the gears are banging around in the transmission. A solid hub clutch is much louder than a sprung hub.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a couple really odd noises that just started tonight. It's a really loud whine on decel but only does it when coasting in neutral or in gear with clutch in. The pitch is speed dependent. There's a not constant (comes in and out most audible when slowing from slow to moderate speed to a stop) gravelly noise that occurs when decel in gear like described in this thread. Sounds kinda like pipe against heatshield but its not. Yes I have an aftermarket clutch but its single plate and most importantly the whines started too and the cars made no noises before tonight. Anyone had this before? I'm thinking the rear diffs let go?

Last edited by EvocentriK; Aug 11, 2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've had my Evo for 9.5 years and it always has made the decel noise. Before I bought the car I had a Microsoft rally car game and I always chose the Evo to drive. Well, every time I slowed the car when playing the game this strange coffee grinder noise would occur. The game was making the decel noise.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's tranny bearings. I thought it was the input shaft bearing, as it made a light whirring noise at idle with the clutch engaged as well, and had done so since I bought the car in 2010. That's been replaced and the noise is still there.

Over time it got louder, and it's now a loud clattering noise. The decel noise increased in volume with it. The tranny will need to be rebuilt and all bearings replaced. I could care less, it needs syncros anyway so it's not like it's too much of an extra expense.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

I have recently installed a rebuilt TM, so I highly doubt it's that. It only does the 'coffee grinder' noise lightly occasionally at very low speed right before coming to a stop, it's more the 'what sounds like transfer death whine but isn't' on coasting with clutch in or in neutral that I'm worried about. In gear decel/ accel = no noise.

Last edited by EvocentriK; Aug 11, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch drag need adjust may be
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Doubt it, shifts are fine and no forward movement at 7000rpm with clutch depressed when stationary and in gear as per Jacks transmission test.

It's decel whine when in neutral or clutch in, and a bit of decel growl/rattle when in gear. Noise is not audible when lightly accelerating/holding speed (maybe a really slight whine).
Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

OK ended up I had 2 noises going on at the same time with different origins. The whining was definitely my transfer case, dropped the oil and this is what the drain plug looked like:

Name:  transferdrainplugmetal.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  67.9 KB

Had the transfer rebuilt with all new OEM internals, and that noise is no longer present.
I still have the metallic buzzing on decel only though, wouldnt call it it coffee grinder its not that loud or rough sounding, it sounds like vibrating heatshield and only on decel or super light throttle when it's hovering back and forth between decel and just maintaining speed, as soon as throttle is reapplied it's quiet again. Maybe it is my clutch like so many others (Carbonetic Blade Single plate)

Last edited by EvocentriK; Aug 25, 2013 at 08:09 AM.