Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbosmart Dual Port BOV Review...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Turbosmart Dual Port BOV Review...

Name:  ts3.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  29.0 KB

First off I would like to thank Turbosmart for allowing me to do a review on the dual port blow off valve for the evo 8/9/10 on my personal 04 RS.

When I first opened the box I noticed how much larger the bov is compared to my stock 8 bov. The dual port is about twice the size of a stock evo 8/9 bov. As everyone knows the 8’s came with a plastic recirculated bov. The dual port is a full metal bov. As Turbosmart’s description “Four BOVs in one. The Dual Port can be configured as a Supersonic, Megasonic, Plumb Back or Dual Port! Features sequential ports for quiet operation on mild boost and full performance at full boost.” The agility of the bov is amazing it can be run as a 50/50 (50 recirculated, 50 vent to atmosphere), full vent to atmosphere or full recirculation. The trumpet can be changed also to adjust the sound of the the bov. The additional trumpets do not come with the kit but I’m sure everyone will be happy with how the bov sounds as it comes. The best part about the dual port it does not cause a check engine light.

Installation took a maximum of ten minutes. All I did was remove my old bov, install the dual port and reconnect all the hoses. Since I have the bov set up as the 50/50, there was no problem with starting the car and idling. There was very minimal tuning involved tuning took about 15-20 minutes. There are no problems after the bov was adjusted again it still idles fine and runs properly. Comparing the sound of my stock bov to the dual port, the dual port is much louder. I could do nothing but smile the first time it went off and I have to admit I wasted a ton of gas driving around and just letting the dual port make a loud WOOOOSH! The only thing I noticed is that the car ran a little richer and caused back fire every now and then in between shifts. The reason that the car has become rich is the MAF sensor is telling the ecu that there is a certain amount of air that will be going into the engine so there is a certain amount of fuel that needs to be delivered. Now some of that air is being vented off so there is less air and more fuel equals rich.

I really like the Turbosmart dual port bov and would recommend it to other evo owners. Besides the size, easy installation, great sound, Turbosmart tells me this bov is capable to hold up to 60+ psi. This is an amazing part to put on your evo!

Thanks Again to Turbosmart,
Phil

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Jan 25, 2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

how is the part throttle on this bov?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
how is the part throttle on this bov?
Partial throttle will still release air. If you watch the video when the car is on the dyno 1st and 2nd you will hear the flutter of the bov.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what if i have a aftermarket upper ic piping? how will this mount?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

They are very identical to the go fast bits bov lol
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

I had one of these. It holds boost very well. The quality is very high. Really beefy.

I could not stand the constant fluttering. Even with slight changes in throttle the sound was very pronounced. I had an aftermarket intake. With a factory one installed it may not have bothered me as badly.

I installed a OEM IX DV and love the way it works. When I up the boost I may try a Synchronic DV.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

i have the some diverter/bov on my DD for the past 3 years. constructions is great, holds boost awesome, sounds great while not decreasing performance in an attempt to sound "cool"

partial throttle there is some flutter, but this cna be minimized by adjusting the amount of air that is "vented".

The only gripe I have with this piece is the trumphet location. It sits right under the hood vent allowing it to get gunked up pretty easily. This makes the maf go crazy, afr is altered, but does not affect performance. It will eaisly get clogged up esp in the cold and cause it to not open properly.

it required regular cleaning with an metal brush in order to keep it operating flawlessly. I havent cleaned mine in about a year and it annoys the crap out of my that is does not open unless under full boost. driveability is drecreased and it just does not "feel right".

That being said, cleaning takes all of 5 minutes, i just have been too lazy with the cold weather. I think a Tial might be better suited for a more modified car, but for the price, the construction is great and peformance without problems. Notes, I am only running 23psi tapering to 21 psi up top. Will be interested once I crank up the boost but have no doubt it will hold great. Nice review, two thumbs up to TS
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:24 AM

how will this install on a buschur racing upper intercooler piping?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nobodyphil
how will this install on a buschur racing upper intercooler piping?
If you are still running your stock bov, this will just take the place of it. If your running a tial this will not work.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:25 AM

ok thanks
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was looking for some suggestions on the Spring setting and what is preferred now when it comes to the MAF and the Evo 8.

Is it better to set it to full recirculating by removing the trumpet and placing that plug? I'm getting ready to have my car tuned this month and want to make sure I have this setup correctly on my car. Any suggestions appreciated
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:06 AM

I have the same bov but i'm having a heck of a time tuning it right. I have on 2011 Evo X and was wondering if anyone has some instructions i can follow to tune it. Any help would be appreciated..
Old Jul 30, 2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by aramic
I have the same bov but i'm having a heck of a time tuning it right. I have on 2011 Evo X and was wondering if anyone has some instructions i can follow to tune it. Any help would be appreciated..

I just picked up this BOV from a fellow EVO X owner, and he said it wouldn't work on the X's as the X's were made for full recir. hopfully this answers your question.